The Clapper 8

Big Bastard
Bronco Info: Current build 1980 F100 Ranger Flareside, AutoFab front and glass, 351W PRP seats, rear end TBA

The Clapper 8

Post by Big Bastard »

Here it is the beginning of the 1980 Flareside build.
The truck was pretty clean with no rust, slammed with a bad tranny and a 302 out of a 79 LTD. I swapped in a 1974 or so vintage 351W from Galaxy. The heads are stock, Edlebrock Performer intake, Edelbrock 600 dfm carb ,2 1/2" long tube headers.
This was one of those goofy trucks with a 5 x 4 1/2 bolt pattern and a king pin front end. I bought a bent beam set up from Auto Fab changing it to 5 x 5 1/2. It came with a 28 spline 9" which I swapped for an 8.8, 31 spline, 4.56 w/ spool rear end I had from my 83 Bronco.
Rather than try to explain to a local tranny shop what I wanted I bought a C6 with reverse manual from Art Carr. The 351 is in, tranny mounted, MSD distributor and 6A ignition mounted but not wired yet. The shifter mount and cable isn't finished yet. I had set of PRP wide, tall seats that are going in it. I'm pretty sure the back of the seats or my head will knock the back window out at some point.

I bought some 80 to 86 Auto Fab glass here in Portland for $240. I've always like that body style so I wanted to stay with that look. I'm still trying to decide whether to go through the bed with the shocks or stay under the bed. I'm staying with leafs. I've got a nice front bumper from my Bronco that was built by Nichols Fab in Tucson that is going on the front. Any and all opinions are welcome.
Attachments
80 Ford side - Copy.JPG
80 Ford side - Copy.JPG (117.22 KiB) Viewed 1916 times
80 Ford interior - Copy.JPG
80 Ford interior - Copy.JPG (165.71 KiB) Viewed 1916 times
80 Ford Front - Copy.JPG
80 Ford Front - Copy.JPG (143.81 KiB) Viewed 1916 times
80 Ford Glass in the living RM - Copy.JPG
80 Ford Glass in the living RM - Copy.JPG (98.39 KiB) Viewed 1916 times
Big Bastard
Bronco Info: Current build 1980 F100 Ranger Flareside, AutoFab front and glass, 351W PRP seats, rear end TBA

Re: The Clapper 8

Post by Big Bastard »

Here is a picture of the front bumper after both Super Oscar lenses fell out during the 2006 1000. Loctite is your friend.
Attachments
Baja G Road vibration.jpg
Baja G Road vibration.jpg (218.57 KiB) Viewed 1915 times
BajaF250
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250

Post by BajaF250 »

Wow, nice truck, this is going to be a nice build... can't wait to see the progress! Bummer on the super Oscars... nice lights... errr, they were! :cry:
AussieRod
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.

Post by AussieRod »

Give him time, they will be again :D
Big Bastard

Post by Big Bastard »

Safety Tip:
Never start your build thread after being out drinking Margaritas. With the light of day I'm glad I didn't mis-spell a bunch of stuff and generally made sense.
I've got a rear suspension/ shock question for the group. How long a shock will fit under the bed and how much travel can you get staying under the bed? I'm going to change the bed mounts and raise it a couple inches for more room. The springs will be similar to a Deaver/ National set up. Chad at Nichols Fab built them for another project that ended up getting a 4 link.
I'm planning on using Pathfinder bumpstops in the rear for a while or maybe permenantly. My goal is between 12-16 inches of travel whether things stay under the bed or go through the bed.

Does anyone have anymore pictures of this truck? I really look the look of it. I don't plan on painting my truck and will probably leave the fiberglass white.
Attachments
IMG_0022.jpg
IMG_0022.jpg (150.11 KiB) Viewed 1893 times
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

That truck belongs to a kid on DR. He got it for free from a neighbor! He has a "build" type thread on DR. I don't think I saved any pics of it as it was built after '79 and not from '92-'96 so it's useless and ugly in my eyes :lol:
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
Big Bastard

Post by Big Bastard »

LMAO! I've noticed you have your own definition of "good looking".
How come I don't have any neighbors like that?!
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Yes - my definition of "good looking" is correct and all you fools that love the 80-86 front ends are just plain wrong... :D

And I too wish I had neighbors like that...

So I could tell them they own an UGLY truck! :lol:
BajaBronco13
Bronco Broker
Bronco Info: Bronco AKA The Silver Bullet

Post by BajaBronco13 »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:Yes - my definition of "good looking" is correct and all you fools that love the 80-86 front ends are just plain wrong... :D

And I too wish I had neighbors like that...

So I could tell them they own an UGLY truck! :lol:
Steve is just jealous. But just to give you an idea of what Steve thinks is a good looking vehicle, he owns an old Alfa, lmao.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

I will admit a lot of Alfa romeo's aren't that good looking. The GTV I own is one sexy car though!
While mine (the tan/multi colored project) isn't as sexy as the other one it will be there someday soon!
Attachments
alfa 10-23-10.jpg
alfa 10-23-10.jpg (93.17 KiB) Viewed 1795 times
10.jpg
10.jpg (61.28 KiB) Viewed 1795 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (53.17 KiB) Viewed 1795 times
BajaBronco13
Bronco Broker

Post by BajaBronco13 »

Nice girly car there Steve. LMAO. Sorry man I have to give it back since you dish it out. Ford 80-86 forever!!!!
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Now a VW is MUCH more of a girl's car than this Chris!

While this thing isn't a truck by any means it is a fine, Italian Racing car. A bug is an over-produced chick car - hahahaha
Joxracing
Bronco Info: 1989 Ford F-150, 6" deaver in front...soon. 351w, 33" BFG MudTerrains

Post by Joxracing »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:Now a VW is MUCH more of a girl's car than this Chris!

While this thing isn't a truck by any means it is a fine, Italian Racing car. A bug is an over-produced chick car - hahahaha

Bugs are so sick... Ive owned 3 in the last 3 years...

Now, 88-91 chevy's.... those suck.
AussieRod
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.

Post by AussieRod »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:I will admit a lot of Alfa romeo's aren't that good looking. The GTV I own is one sexy car though!
While mine (the tan/multi colored project) isn't as sexy as the other one it will be there someday soon!
I like that model Alfa, they are cool :D
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

In an attempt to try and make up for leading this thread sideways I tried to find the thread on that red truck on DR but I had no luck. It might be in the general fab section instead of the "rides" section I was looking in. If you want to search for it the thread was called "class 8 rebuild" or something like that. I'd start by searching for class 8

*edit* - can't say I never helped anyone...
http://www.dezertrangers.com/vb/dr-rides/97068.htm

I forgot the kid thought it was a REAL truck when he started the thread... Yup - he thought it was a '79 :roll:
Big Bastard

Post by Big Bastard »

An old Alfa?! You are a sick bastard. Actually I really like them but have never wanted to take on the challenge of Alfa ownership. A few years ago there were some guys up here that ran a GT V6 rally car. Talk about a labor of love. Sounded kick ass but rarely finished.
I found the thread on the red truck Ruby Class 8. The kid didn't recognize the beauty of the 80-86 models for what they are. Sadly he rolled it, said he was going to update it to the "common" 92-96 style and it disappeared. I'm pretty tall so I like the idea of running the roll cage above the dash rather than bashing me in the shins and knees.
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

Thank god I'm a proud Rambler owner, you have to be a sick person to be into Alfa Romeos.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Yup siiiiiiiick all right! That's what all the bros are saying now right??? That was sick! It's a sick little car by all means. Puts a smile on my face every time I drive the little bastard!
BajaBronco13
Bronco Broker

Post by BajaBronco13 »

By the way is that interior a factory color offered on those early to mid Fords? I've seen that color off and on but I don't recall if that's a factory color.

Chris
Big Bastard

Post by Big Bastard »

If you mean by factory "slightly rusty" yes it's 31 yr old factory. I'm pretty sure black interior was offered...if that's what we're talking about. He drives an Alfa and I'm the one being made fun of :)