My '77 Project

ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Re: My '77 Project

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

When you get ready to add the bigger shop hoops just cut and plate the 2wd coil buckets. You've already done the hard part which is getting all the rivets out. Next time they'll come off quickly so taking them off to plate them will be easy.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
cwrisley
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco..........

Post by cwrisley »

Here we go...

Rattle can and grade 8's. Whats that saying about lipstick on a pig?! Haha
@cwriz
crashdean
Bronco Info: Sleeper 1993 White OJ looking Bronco

Post by crashdean »

Looks good Chris. I remember painting the 91 Bronco. Thought I would have been driving it by now.....Looking forward to the 93 Bronco now.
cwrisley

Post by cwrisley »

Thanks Mike. And dont think for a second that I wasnt trying to copy the look of the 91 when you painted it. Too cool!
@cwriz
7D6F250
Bronco Info: i drive a 76' F250 and a 09' F350

Post by 7D6F250 »

hurry chris, you can beat steve!! :lol:
AussieRod
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.

Post by AussieRod »

7D6F250 wrote:hurry chris, you can beat steve!! :lol:
I dont think thats an issue :lol: :lol: :lol:
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

He can and will probably.

Rod - I have MANY issues - that is the problem! And after re-wiring a bunch on the alfa another issue (no working turn signal) has arrived. Of course everything that can happen will and will continue to delay me getting back to the crew.
cwrisley

Post by cwrisley »

I need a little help with figuring out what I got goin' on here. The coils seat in the buckets perfectly and there is space between the coil retainer and the coil. Everything looks great until I start lifting the I-beam and coil slips out of the bucket up into the retainer hook. Im still "blind kid" fumbling my way through this suspension since its my first 70's Ford build. Whatcha think Im doing wrong? Am I missing any other parts to keep the coil seated? Im starting to think I have the wrong retainers.

No weight, seats perfectly:

Space between retainer and coil:

With jack applied:

Coil slips:
@cwriz
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Are you sure you got the right coil clips? The bottom of those ones with the little indents clips into something if I remember right. I just can't remember how they work off hand. I can look around & see if I can figure out what I did with the ones that came off those buckets. They're around her somewhere for sure.

Until then - here's a pic of those buckets in stock form. You can't see much, but you can see there isn't a gap there like you have. I have a buddy with the tall coil buckets & I just hit him up for a pic. I'll post it if I get one.
Attachments
x 266.jpg
x 266.jpg (95.81 KiB) Viewed 884 times
cwrisley

Post by cwrisley »

That would be awesome Steve. I picked those clips up last night at Hwy 67 Truck and they didnt seem to know about the coil buckets I have. I even showed them a pic on my phone. Lemme know if you come up with the original clips. Id owe you a hooker. Maybe I could meet you and trade you back the frame chunks.
@cwriz
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

I'm supposed to be hitting the shop on lunch to finish something for a buddy. I'll be in a pretty big rush but I'll have a look around. I think I know where they SHOULD be...
7D6F250
Bronco Info: i drive a 76' F250 and a 09' F350

Post by 7D6F250 »

steve, you're a good man, and if you weren't always so ready to drop whatever you're doin to help someone else, you'd be done, and I only bug ya cuz we're friends. (okay, sensitive time is over- back to work!!)
Chris, just wonderin', does it start to slip just before full droop? without shocks (or straps) you're dropping out the whole suspension travel. If I dont strap mine, the shocks travel more than the coils, and those sum-bitch's with fall right out. Also looks like the clips don't totaly grip the coil, like it's too big or not curved enough to fully grab that coil. get that thing runnin so we can meet up at the leduc swapmeet.
johncharlesb
Bronco Info: 1962 f100, 1995 Bronco

Post by johncharlesb »

Does it looks like the coil bucket is bent? Are both of the buckets like this? The face that the retainer bolts onto has been vertical or plumb on the trucks I have worked on, 2wd and 4x4.. Yours looks like it is leaning back, it may be bent.

Those clips have two notches that slip into a grove on the coil bucket. They go in the groove and then the bolt is installed. They are supposed to fit snug when installed.
cwrisley

Post by cwrisley »

Ive come to the conclusion that they are the wrong clips. Theres nothing for the notches to clip into and they dont keep the coil in place. Jason, the coil slips out under compression. As soon as I get it under pressure, POP! John, coil buckets are good, both are exactly the same. I think my problem is the coil clips came of off a 77 F150 and the coil buckets are off an F250. I gotta get the right parts for the right job! This is how I learn I guess....haha
@cwriz
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

johncharlesb wrote:Does it looks like the coil bucket is bent? Are both of the buckets like this? The face that the retainer bolts onto has been vertical or plumb on the trucks I have worked on, 2wd and 4x4.. Yours looks like it is leaning back, it may be bent.

Those clips have two notches that slip into a grove on the coil bucket. They go in the groove and then the bolt is installed. They are supposed to fit snug when installed.
Coil buckets are good. They are the EXACT ones in my photo as I gave them to Chris.

As for the clips - they do tuck into a slot in the bucket & the more I think about it- I think the hole for them is kinda up above the top wind in the coil. I seem to remember them being a pain to get out.
johncharlesb
Bronco Info: 1962 f100, 1995 Bronco

Post by johncharlesb »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:
johncharlesb wrote:Does it looks like the coil bucket is bent? Are both of the buckets like this? The face that the retainer bolts onto has been vertical or plumb on the trucks I have worked on, 2wd and 4x4.. Yours looks like it is leaning back, it may be bent.

Coil buckets are good. They are the EXACT ones in my photo as I gave them to Chris.

As for the clips - they do tuck into a slot in the bucket & the more I think about it- I think the hole for them is kinda up above the top wind in the coil. I seem to remember them being a pain to get out.
Yeah, I did not realize those were F250 buckets. They are definitely shaped different. Do they take a different spring? Napa lists a F250 as a 4" ID spring with two pigtails, while a F100 spring is 6" ID tangential/pigtail.

Those are F100/F150 retainers. The hole is hidden by the top coil and they bind up if you push them down too far versus sliding them back out of the slot. They are one of those taking your time is the fastest kind of things.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

These are the "tall" buckets found on the heavy duty trucks - typically F-350 trucks, crew cabs, etc. These came off a "heavy duty" F-250.

The F-100/F-150 & light F-250 coil bucket looks like this.

The coil retainer looks like a mount/bracket for mounting conduit to a building. It has a half circle with tabs on either side and bolts to the bottom of the bucket up inside.

The coils are different on the "tall" buckets & shorter ones. The "tall" buckets have a half wind on top like the big broncos do. The shorter bucket trucks have a coil that stops just like it was cut - meaning now short/tight wind across the middle.

Chris - I emailed you these pics, but I'll post them here in case anyone else is watching & might need this info.

These are the pics my buddy took of his F-350 crew cab which SHOULD have the tall coil buckets. I can't really tell in the pic though. Check the clips on these & how they bolt both top & bottom. I can't remember if the clips on those buckets I gave you did this or not - but have a look at them & you should be able to tell if these would work...
Attachments
Coil clip.jpg
Coil clip.jpg (125.27 KiB) Viewed 776 times
coil clip - bottom.jpg
coil clip - bottom.jpg (72.43 KiB) Viewed 776 times
cwrisley

Post by cwrisley »

Thanks again Steve. This is gonna help a lot. Im thinking because the radius arm brackets I pulled off the same frame chunks didnt fit my frame for the same reason, F150 vs 350.

At any rate, its back to Hwy 67 Truck this morning. If eveything works out, she'll roll into the garage today.

AND...I might go pic these up too, cuz you know, I have to right?!
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/pts/2757797801.html
@cwriz
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Frame isn't worth $100 IMO as I've NEVER been able to sell one or even give one away, BUT i know you want one so it's worth it. Plus if the bed's in good shape it's worth MORE than the $100, so yeah - I'd say jump on that whole deal!!!!
cwrisley

Post by cwrisley »

I got the LAST set of F250 straps from Hwy 67 Truck yesterday. Went on without a hitch and she's rollin' again.....

Proof

Seriously in need of bent beams

Straps

Front suspension is coming along
@cwriz