Hot Rods

PBR
Founder

Hot Rods

Post by PBR »

i know we have a few hot rod guys on here. i just picked up my first yesterday. it's a '55 chevy p/u, mostly stock with a 327/350. i drove it all the way home from hellmet yesterday and it made it no problem and drove really well. it was super fun getting thumbs up the whole way home. the plan for now is to just enjoy it and upgrade things as i go.
Attachments
first day.jpg
first day.jpg (209.21 KiB) Viewed 1373 times
Ollie Penchansky
Penchansky Brothers Racing.
Nick
Founder
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target

Re: Hot Rods

Post by Nick »

Cholo! Sup holmes?
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
BajaBronco13
Bronco Broker
Bronco Info: Bronco AKA The Silver Bullet

Post by BajaBronco13 »

Very nice Ollie. You should have drove it down to the Good Guys Del Mar car show today. Did you find it on thehamb.com? Craigslist?

Chris
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

Nice, try to enjoy it for what it is.

I see a lot of guys that buy trucks like that and start trying to add A/C, power everything, ect, and turn it into a modern car. It is what it is. Keep it fun!

If you can, drive it up to Santa Maria in May for the West Coast Nationals. It's a great show and you can hang out with Steve and his dad...
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

I already told you it's cool, but I'll tell you again. COOL!
philofab wrote:If you can, drive it up to Santa Maria in May for the West Coast Nationals. It's a great show and you can hang out with Steve and his dad...
My dad doesn't know if he's going to the SM show. The event organizers called and asked him if he could bring a different car (not the rat rod). He's got other "nice" cars he can take but he's pretty disappointed that yet another organizer is catering the high-dollar cars and trying to keep the low-buck stuff out. I think it's bullshit. He was nice about it. I would have told them to get f'd.

He's thinking about just going for the cruise and skipping the show.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
PBR
Founder

Post by PBR »

philofab wrote:Nice, try to enjoy it for what it is.

I see a lot of guys that buy trucks like that and start trying to add A/C, power everything, ect, and turn it into a modern car. It is what it is. Keep it fun!

If you can, drive it up to Santa Maria in May for the West Coast Nationals. It's a great show and you can hang out with Steve and his dad...
that's the plan, the only thing i am thinking of to modernize it a little is disks up front and a power booster.
Ollie Penchansky
PBR
Founder

Post by PBR »

BajaBronco13 wrote:Very nice Ollie. You should have drove it down to the Good Guys Del Mar car show today. Did you find it on thehamb.com? Craigslist?

Chris
the hamb.
Ollie Penchansky
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

PBR wrote:that's the plan, the only thing i am thinking of to modernize it a little is disks up front and a power booster.
I would absolutely convert the front to disc brakes. Front drum brakes just don't cut it.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
Squarehead

Post by Squarehead »

Sweet lookin' truck!
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Nice buy Ollie!

Need to get my dad to commit on one to replace his old 56 Chevy Pickup he had when I was a kid. He wants a cool truck like that to cruise around in, it's just a case of no spare $$ at this time unfortunately.

As for my "hot rod" - well, it's just a pile of parts as of now, but one day it will be set up like the 2nd picture below.

Mine:

What I hope to achieve with it stance and character wise:
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
BajaBronco13
Bronco Broker
Bronco Info: Bronco AKA The Silver Bullet

Post by BajaBronco13 »

That's a cool cab there Steve. I hope that thing gets done one day as it has some serious points for the vintage door lettering.

Though I don't need another project I'm still hunting for a 1930-1931 Model A fordor or a 1932 Ford Deuce fordor Briggs or Murray body to stash away and build later.

Ah soo many toys and not enough time and money.

CP
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

Steve, did you chop that Ford cab yourself? Looks good, like you have done it before!
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Naw - bought it that way. The fact that the chop was already done, and then the door lettering (it was actually an old fire truck) sold me on the thing.

I have not chopped one of these myself but it doesn't look too hard based on what else I can do with metal. The chop on this thing isn't bad but I have seen cleaner stuff done.

This is the project Suzy really wishes I would work on, as it is her favorite of what I own. Plus we are supposed to drive away from our wedding in it...

Guys - what weekend is the show in May - the Santa Maria one? I'd love to head up for it, but chances are it's early in the month, meaning Suzy will still be working Saturday nights and we won't be able to go.
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

The show is May 28, 29, & 30 in Santa Maria, Ca.

http://www.westcoastkustoms.com/showinfo.html

It a lot different than it used to be when it was in Paso Robles but I still enjoy it. I rode my bike there last year.

I need to get off my ass and put my hot rod back together. I miss driving it.
ChaseTruck754 wrote:Naw - bought it that way. The fact that the chop was already done, and then the door lettering (it was actually an old fire truck) sold me on the thing.

I have not chopped one of these myself but it doesn't look too hard based on what else I can do with metal. The chop on this thing isn't bad but I have seen cleaner stuff done.

This is the project Suzy really wishes I would work on, as it is her favorite of what I own. Plus we are supposed to drive away from our wedding in it...

Guys - what weekend is the show in May - the Santa Maria one? I'd love to head up for it, but chances are it's early in the month, meaning Suzy will still be working Saturday nights and we won't be able to go.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

philofab wrote:It a lot different than it used to be when it was in Paso Robles but I still enjoy it.
Good or bad changes?

The 30th is Suzy's B-day. I'd LOVE to surprise her and take her up there, but I'm not sure it is what she would want. So I guess that throws out the element of surprise and I'll just have to flat out ask if she's up for it :)
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:Good or bad changes?
Not really good or bad, just different. It used to be held at a city park and anyone could walk up and see the cars. The park in Paso was in the very center of all the hotels, bars, and restaurants. Now everything is more spread out and you have to pay to get in. Most of the hang outs have not been established yet since last year was the first time in Santa Maria.

Some people don't make the trek from the bay area now but more people come from down south. I drive 9 hours so I don't care about it being a little closer or farther.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

I know how the Paso show was and like that. Didn't go to the Santa Maria one so wasn't sure how it differed.

Paso was cool because my buddy used to live on the Paso/Templeton border so we had a free place to stay. I can still stay in AG or SLO with Suzy's family, but not sure I feel like paying to get in to look at the cars and don't know Santa Maria well enough to figure out other good spots to check the cars.

I brought it up to Suzy and she was sort of "eh" about going, so it looks like I may be skipping it again this year :(
Nick
Founder
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target

Post by Nick »

If i were to get anything, this is what i would want.
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

My mom sent me this link recently of Dad's rat rod.... Way to go Dad!

http://hooniverse.com/2010/10/04/billet ... more-29794
Sho nuff,
SteveG
PBR
Founder

Post by PBR »

that is awesome steve!
Ollie Penchansky