The Explorer

usmcgunrock
Bronco Info: No Bronco, just an Explorer

The Explorer

Post by usmcgunrock »

I have posted some things here and there about my Explorer but I figured I could start a thread and post it all in one. After my 87 4runner died I needed something that I could load the family up in and run around the desert. 4x4 and 4 seats was a must. So I came across this Explorer and could not pass up the deal I was going to get. Here is how I got it.

-auto
-4x4
-Autofab Dana 35 16" travel kit w/SAW 2.5" shocks
-Deaver springs w/SAW 2.5" shocks
-Machined shackles
-Conversion front clip w/ metal hood and bumper
-32x10.50 BFG A/T

First thing I did was put 33x12.50 BFG A/T on and 4.88 gears front and rear.

The rear was bottoming out on the shocks and I wanted more shock back there anyways. So I went to some 17x2.5 Bilstiens threw the floor and some Bilstien bumps. If you look closely you can see the nipples to fill the bumps on the outside of the shocks coming threw the floor making them very easy to fill. The bed cage is bolt on also.

The bed cage also has a mount for my jack and a 40mm ammo can. They are both removable with a pin. The jack also has a skid plate on it.

The wheel wells got tubed. They are set up for 35's so if I ever want to go to them I can. The tire mount is also set up for a 35.

I already had to put a new trans in it because the one it had burned up on me the second desert trip. I also put a new motor in it that has some head work and a cam. I also needed to help cool the trans. So I installed a PWR trans cooler. It sits above the frame and almost all of it is protected by the cross members. The fan will be set up as a puller and get air from the cab. The top will be protected by the spare tire. I have not seen a setup like this so we will see how it works.

Radio and trans temp gauge mounted. The radio face is under the dash and the body under the rear seat. External speaker in the rear bumper.

Added a battery and jack handle mount

Next on the list is to rework the front shocks. I am going to run a longer Bilstien in front of the coil and ditch the SAW. I am also going to run some Bilstien bumps. I just put a stock front end on it and got rid of the fiberglass.
Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons
bajascott
My belly is my best friend
Bronco Info: its black, its fun to drive,and i dont have enough money to build it the way i want to!:)

Re: The Explorer

Post by bajascott »

nice layout. i have always been a fan of explorers.
nice ride!
FRONT YARD FABRICATION
http://ssfab-n-offroad.com/
Silverslk
Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Baur Bronco......GONE to a better home

Post by Silverslk »

Very nice and well thought out!!! I like the thinking with the cooler.....hope it works well. Do you fab yourself or someone do it for you?
SteveG wrote:The point? It's amazing these front ends go down the road straight in any form! The TTB is brute. A broad sword and not a scalpel. That's why I love it!
usmcgunrock
Bronco Info: No Bronco, just an Explorer

Post by usmcgunrock »

Someone did the rear cage and tubs for me. But I did the extra trussing to it, added the battery mount and jack handle mount. Me and my buddy did the cooler. As far as doing the front shocks and bumps, I am just going to take it to John down at autofab and have him take care of it.
Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons