Joxracing's Newbie F-150 build.

Joxracing
Bronco Info: 1989 Ford F-150, 6" deaver in front...soon. 351w, 33" BFG MudTerrains

Re: Joxracing's Newbie F-150 build, Homemade long travel or bust

Post by Joxracing »

Thanks for the kind words, as far as the cut&turn, thats a long ways away, if I ever do it.

Im going to start on my shock towers hopefully soon, so i can get the shocks in and test this suspension out.

Has anyone used those F-250 towers?
I wouldnt mind seeing some pictures of them in and done...
Joxracing
Bronco Info: 1989 Ford F-150, 6" deaver in front...soon. 351w, 33" BFG MudTerrains

Post by Joxracing »

Did some shock mock up tonight after i bled the brakes out...

Tell me what you think, i got some idea's on how to gusset the tower well, or might just scrap out the f250 towers and go custom, either way...give me some feedback!

engine compartment shot with mock up bolt...

up through the welll...

thanks guys!
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

those F-250 towers work fine - now plate in the side of the coil bucket where you cut it off and tie that into the shock hoop and you're good.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
RSR

Post by RSR »

Cycle the suspension before you weld in the shock tower. As the suspension cycles the bottom of the shock is going to move a little both forward and backward, and in and out. Make sure the shock body does not contact the shock tower.
Joxracing

Post by Joxracing »

do i need to bolt the shock tower and weld it? or are welds and gussets fine for strength?
Joxracing

Post by Joxracing »

Pretty productive day, got all the patterns made and sent out to my dads shop to be made, plus plans for a battery box and gas tank box.

should be welding up tmrw or the next day.
Joxracing

Post by Joxracing »

Got 1 tower completely done and welded, and painted. The other tower is almost done, just needs the last few gussets.

This picture makes the welds look like crap. Take my word for it, they werent that bad looking.

Tmrw i'll probably finnish welding on the other tower, paint it, and mount & fill the shocks with nitrogen.

How much nitrogen (psi?) goes in to these shocks?
Joxracing

Post by Joxracing »

some welding pic's of me...

didnt think these shock towers would be this strong, i guess we'll see what they do in testing next week...
Joxracing

Post by Joxracing »

here is one side completely done...

Is this angle alright for that bottom mount?
Joxracing

Post by Joxracing »

finnised up some paint today, and made a hi-lift jack mount in the bed.
just need to finish up the passenger shock mount, and still trying to find someone to charge my shocks up!

SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

The dog wants to know what the F you're doing.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
johncharlesb
Bronco Info: 1962 f100, 1995 Bronco

Post by johncharlesb »

The dog says you should check with your local dirtbike shop on getting those shocks charged.
jimmyd
Bronco Info: sold 94 (wanna bronco on FSB) 1997 f250 hd

Post by jimmyd »

The dog also said he called king and they told him that regular shop air Is ok as long as you run it through a dehumidifier first. You just don't want water in there. The dog couldn't find anyone to fill over 120 psi.
Joxracing

Post by Joxracing »

johncharlesb wrote:The dog says you should check with your local dirtbike shop on getting those shocks charged.

Found an old offroad racer/shock rebuilder in right in my neigborhood area, who had the nitrogen setup and filled them for free. Finishing up all the mounts today, i'll mount the shocks up tmrw, than testing on friday, since we have no school.

;)
Joxracing

Post by Joxracing »

Got frame plated. shocks charged, passenger mount finnised, and one side mountied in...

heres some crappy pics...

Hopefully that tire straightens out after a bit...

jimmyd
Bronco Info: sold 94 (wanna bronco on FSB) 1997 f250 hd

Post by jimmyd »

Dude , what are you going to do about your alignment? Do you have cam adjusters In yet?
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

Drive it around a little. Those springs settle quite a bit. On top of that when you jack it up and not move it, the front will drop once you put it into reverse. Once you do that, the best thing (at least for me) to do is to go to a good alignment shop that has the unlimited alignment and buy the unlimited alignment. I did this and love it. Everytime I go out, or change something up on the front end, I take it back no questions asked and have it aligned. Plus they can put the adjustable alignment cams in it for you. I did that too and the tires are wearing nicely.
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
Joxracing

Post by Joxracing »

hobbyturnedobsession wrote:Drive it around a little. Those springs settle quite a bit. On top of that when you jack it up and not move it, the front will drop once you put it into reverse. Once you do that, the best thing (at least for me) to do is to go to a good alignment shop that has the unlimited alignment and buy the unlimited alignment. I did this and love it. Everytime I go out, or change something up on the front end, I take it back no questions asked and have it aligned. Plus they can put the adjustable alignment cams in it for you. I did that too and the tires are wearing nicely.

Yeah, when we had it out of the shop with the new coils, they settled nicely, than it sat jacked up for a good 2 weeks again, so im almost positive its going to straighten out. im quite excited to go thrash this thing and work the bugs out.
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

Youll like it, I loved that setup.
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
Joxracing

Post by Joxracing »

thats what i wanted to hear...