Rod's 84 BabyBajaF100

AussieRod
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.

Re: Rod's 84 BabyBajaF100

Post by AussieRod »

philofab wrote:I sent the x-member, not sure where it's at. I'll see if I can find anything out from the USPS.

Why did the P/S box have spacers added?

Also, 86 to 96 trucks have a few different rear harnesses and there was a couple of different style fuel systems and harness plugs. Up until 91 they had three pumps, one on the frame rail and one in each tank. In 92 they went to just the pumps in the tanks. Both use fuel pressure to switch pumps instead of a electric valve. The earlier stuff have a pressure operated valve on the frame rail and later stuff just uses one way valves built into the pump assembly. The bad about the pump assembly is that you can't easily stuff a larger 255LPH pump in them, but the good is it keeps the pump submerged in fuel for cooling even when the fuel level is below the pump.
I wouldnt be surprised if USPS has lost it. :roll:
Going by the condition of the front frame rail on the truck I pulled the PS box from, it tore out the mountings from the frame and was hillbilly backyard booger shit repaired, with 10" long bolts to hold it on with a myriad of washers and spacers to take up the extra bolt length. What the welded-on spacers were meant to do defies my thinking. I could have taken the rolling frame as part of the deal, but with the frame damage and rusted out cab, I didnt need more shit to clutter up my yard.
A harness for up to 91 will do, then, as I am building a modified harness to do what I want and adding extra wiring for various things. I'm using the external hi-pressure pump set-up, only because its easier to field service for replacement. I found out the Bosch 044 pump is used on a myriad of high end BMW's and Mercs, and I have a contact who can get me the real Bosch pumps at a good price.
AussieRod
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.

Post by AussieRod »

Saturday update:
Spent the morning wire buffing the rear springs, ready for paint:
P6301014.JPG
P6301014.JPG (81.29 KiB) Viewed 937 times
P6301013.JPG
P6301013.JPG (88.18 KiB) Viewed 937 times
The springs are supposed to be 4 + overload, but have had 2 extra HD leaves inserted. Man this thing rides harsh:
P6301012.JPG
P6301012.JPG (77.07 KiB) Viewed 937 times
Trimmed the Energy Suspension bushes, fitted shackles after painting, and installed the springs:
P6301015.JPG
P6301015.JPG (77.04 KiB) Viewed 937 times
AussieRod

Post by AussieRod »

PS pipes are cleaned and painted:
P6301016.JPG
P6301016.JPG (80.28 KiB) Viewed 932 times
Wire buffed, cleaned and painted long steering link and installed with a new outer tie rod end:
P6301017.JPG
P6301017.JPG (89.02 KiB) Viewed 932 times
P6301018.JPG
P6301018.JPG (82.38 KiB) Viewed 932 times
The short link has been cleaned, but I found the boot on the inner end is screwed, so I will stop at the parts shop on Monday for a boot kit; failing that, order a new inner tie rod. It will then be painted and fitted with the new outer waiting for it. Still trying to source the correct EFI fuel lines for the frame, but that’s not important just yet. Wiring, fuel tank (and pump(s), clean, assemble and paint 9”, install, fit up park brake cables, etc. and get it on wheels (stockers for now).
AussieRod

Post by AussieRod »

After doing some serious research, I have had a change of mind on the fuel tank, etc. I am looking at 3 options:
A) 92 – 96 19 gal internal HP pump type
B) 88 – 96 Bronco 33 gal internal HP pump type
or C) Aftermarket 38 gal tank with Bronco pump and sender.
I will use a servicable fuel filter on the frame. I may also fit the old 16 gal front tank (with a new sender unit) and use a transfer pump to refill the rear tank on long trips.

Does anyone know if the hi-pressure pump/sender assembly from a 92 - 96 will fit in the earlier lo-pressure assy tank? I can get a LP pump type tank locally pretty cheap, but unless it can take the HP pump assy, I will have to get the correct tank.
So, I will need a 92 up F-series rear chassis harness (LWB or SWB doesn’t matter) from the firewall plug back (including the main harness plug if its off a wreck). I will cut, solder, add, shorten, etc as I need and make a complete new harness for my application.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

With how stringent they seem to be on the inspection down there they won't mess with you for having a bronco or other tank in the truck? I figure option A you can get away with, B might be tough to really make it look like it came that way & C could pass IF the guy didn't know a big tank isn't factory. Or is this just one of the few, random things they don't really care about changing out?
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

The hanger mount is different between early and late tanks. The diameter of the hole is way different.

I would just run one tank (probably the F53) with two pumps and a check valve for redundancy. It's been hot here and I lost the rear pump on the crew a couple of weeks ago and the pump in the Bronco last night. Forget the factory wiring. Run two relays and a toggle switch to switch between EFI control (when you add EFI) and manual override. Then have another switch with three positions, (Tank 1) (Tank 2) (Both Tanks).

You can make your wiring look like factory with convoluted tubing and Weatherpack or Metripack plugs.

http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/sho ... hp?t=29893
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
AussieRod

Post by AussieRod »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:With how stringent they seem to be on the inspection down there they won't mess with you for having a bronco or other tank in the truck? I figure option A you can get away with, B might be tough to really make it look like it came that way & C could pass IF the guy didn't know a big tank isn't factory. Or is this just one of the few, random things they don't really care about changing out?
Steve, if it looks factory, is properly strapped in and isnt hitting anything or leaking fuel, they wont worry about it. If its held in by wire and zip ties, and lines are running loose everywhere, leaking fuel, then, they will say something. They are more worried about a tiny rust bubble around the tail light, or a microscopic stone chip in the windshield or useless BS thing. :roll: When this thing rolls in for inspection, it will be :shock: :shock: all round. :D
AussieRod

Post by AussieRod »

philofab wrote:The hanger mount is different between early and late tanks. The diameter of the hole is way different.

I would just run one tank (probably the F53) with two pumps and a check valve for redundancy. It's been hot here and I lost the rear pump on the crew a couple of weeks ago and the pump in the Bronco last night. Forget the factory wiring. Run two relays and a toggle switch to switch between EFI control (when you add EFI) and manual override. Then have another switch with three positions, (Tank 1) (Tank 2) (Both Tanks).

You can make your wiring look like factory with convoluted tubing and Weatherpack or Metripack plugs.

http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/sho ... hp?t=29893
Philo, I get your point, and will probably go with that idea. The original plan was fit the EFI 86 - 89 tank with the LO pressure punp in the rear, have 2 external pumps mounted on the frame rail in parallel with check valves on them on a change-over switch, use the old front tank just to carry fuel and transfer that fuel via a small pump to the rear tank as needed. The main pumps will run through a switching relay via the ECM pump output so I can swap main pumps at the flick of a switch. The rear tank will read off the factory fuel gauge, and I will fit a Autometer gauge for the front tank, so I know what fuel I am carrying in both tanks at the same time. Given that 95% of the time I will be running on propane, I wont need to carry too much gasoline on board, except on long trips up north, when I will fill everything to max. :D
Drilim
Bronco Info: 94

Post by Drilim »

I love watching this build. Makes me want to do a frame off so bad. Keep up the good work.
AussieRod

Post by AussieRod »

Tuesday update:
Done a bucket load of resarching, until my eyes have started going square. Now, as of July 1st, here we are stuck with a carbon tax BS, so everything is going up, including gas, so a change of plan is in order regarding my fuel system. I will continue to use the large propane tank in the bed, and instead of a rear gasoline tank, I will fit another propane tank under the bed in a custom cradle. I have a 132 litre liquid capacity cylinder out back that will fit nicely under the rear, once the Deavers are in, so thats the plan, use the 2 propane tanks in tandem, on a C/O switch at the dash, and I will fit a 90 - 96 16 gal EFI side tank and pump, and use the appropriate pipes, wiring, etc for the gasoline side of things. That way I only need 1 pump, no change-over switches or stuff to clutter up things, neat and simple. As I will use propane 98% of my driving, the gas side is only to get me to the next filling station after I run out of propane. I'm sure USPS sent Philo's X member surface mail instead, so it wont arrive until the end of August, if thats the case, so I have some time until then to build all the carrier and other stuff. The tank and pump I will get before the Baja trip along with some other stuff I need for the truck and send it all home together. That way, while I wait for it all to arrive, I can finish the cab and tub, prep and fit the engine, etc and start getting everything assembled.
On a side note, I removed the old axle bearings today, the seals were stuffed, I will press on the new ones tomorrow, then start cleaning and prepping the pumpkin, before I clean, assemble and paint the housing, brakes, etc, ready for install.
Cheers.
Silverslk
Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Baur Bronco......GONE to a better home

Post by Silverslk »

Hey Rod, with this change of plans.... will you still want/need that fuel filler I have at home or just the valve covers now? I ask for shipping purposes, no big deal either way.
SteveG wrote:The point? It's amazing these front ends go down the road straight in any form! The TTB is brute. A broad sword and not a scalpel. That's why I love it!
AussieRod

Post by AussieRod »

Silverslk wrote:Hey Rod, with this change of plans.... will you still want/need that fuel filler I have at home or just the valve covers now? I ask for shipping purposes, no big deal either way.
I still want the filler, Andy :D, I will make it fit, regardless. I want the later screw-on cap type, etc. DEFINATELY want it all!! :lol: :lol: I will like ly pick it up before or during the trip, rather than get you to post it.
Silverslk
Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Baur Bronco......GONE to a better home

Post by Silverslk »

Works for me. I've been busy and finding a box long enough for the filler but big enough for the valve covers and still small enough to save you on postage is turning out tougher than one would expect.
SteveG wrote:The point? It's amazing these front ends go down the road straight in any form! The TTB is brute. A broad sword and not a scalpel. That's why I love it!
AussieRod

Post by AussieRod »

Silverslk wrote:Works for me. I've been busy and finding a box long enough for the filler but big enough for the valve covers and still small enough to save you on postage is turning out tougher than one would expect.
Done deal, Mate :D I'll fix you up with the cash and a few cervesas at the HP Ranch Bar on the Friday night. ;)
AussieRod

Post by AussieRod »

WOOHOO!! 7000 views and counting! :D :D Only a month ago, it was barely 4000, and now........ Thanks to everyone for taking an interest in what I am doing here, your support is much appreciated and it keeps me motivated :D
Agui-E7TE
Bronco Info: 89 Bronco w/ 6 in. skyjacker kit w/ dual Bilstein 5150 shocks up front and Deaver F53's in the rear

Post by Agui-E7TE »

I gotta say I look forward to every single update and the F100 is going to turn out way cool in the end.

I really like the idea of propane... I've considered running it on my GMC a few times especially with the price of gas. What's the range most get out of a single propane tank and what's a good size tank to run? I think if I went ahead and did this I'd make it a dual fuel system.
yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Post by yikes »

AussieRod wrote:WOOHOO!! 7000 views and counting! :D :D Only a month ago, it was barely 4000, and now........ Thanks to everyone for taking an interest in what I am doing here, your support is much appreciated and it keeps me motivated :D
Alright, the views are going to stop if you don't post more pictures Rod! Haha!
AussieRod

Post by AussieRod »

yikes wrote:
AussieRod wrote:WOOHOO!! 7000 views and counting! :D :D Only a month ago, it was barely 4000, and now........ Thanks to everyone for taking an interest in what I am doing here, your support is much appreciated and it keeps me motivated :D
Alright, the views are going to stop if you don't post more pictures Rod! Haha!
Oh, :roll: ok :oops:

:lol: :lol:
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

Ummmm, stop typing plz, MORE PICS!!! Feed the MONSTER!!!
AussieRod

Post by AussieRod »

Wednesday update:
:shock: :shock: MONSTER HUNGRY! OH NO! MUST.......... FEED.............. MONSTER.............................

Ok, I get the hint ;)
Anyway, some progress, even though it's cold as f**k. PS lines painted, flushed and fitted:
P7041022.JPG
P7041022.JPG (65.81 KiB) Viewed 798 times
P7041023.JPG
P7041023.JPG (79.92 KiB) Viewed 798 times
P7041024.JPG
P7041024.JPG (82.02 KiB) Viewed 798 times
Attachments
P7041025.JPG
P7041025.JPG (71.19 KiB) Viewed 798 times