The Motley Crue: White '97 OBS Crew Cab Build

nubreed71
Bronco Info: 1997 F-250 Crewcab Shortbed

Re: The Motley Crue: White '97 OBS Crew Cab Build

Post by nubreed71 »

Christian from Vital Designs came up with a nifty idea for some bumpstop extensions, and whipped em right up today. I'm way stoked with how these turned out. Everything has been final fitted, and pulled back off the truck. Off to powdercoat on Monday!

Bumped out:

nubreed71

Post by nubreed71 »

Not a huge update, but I got the frame cleaned and painted all the way to the back of the cab. I'll do the rear section when I pull the bed and pull off the spring hangers to do the rear suspension At this point, all that's left is to pick everything up from powdercoat and bolt it all back together. To say I'm getting antsy to get the parts back is an understatement. Should be sometime this week.

Chasintrail
Bronco Info: 95 Ford Bronco, 93 Ford Explorer

Post by Chasintrail »

Looking good! What paint did you decide to use on the frame?
-Brandon
nubreed71

Post by nubreed71 »

Here's what I went with. I'm told it's the same stuff Desolate uses on their builds.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I5 ... UTF8&psc=1
nubreed71

Post by nubreed71 »

Lots to catch up on now that the site is back, here we go!

Scored a sweet set of Autofab motor mounts on RDC:

And then got all my goodies back from powdercoat on Friday, so I spent all day Saturday getting everything final assembled. It ended up taking me all day because I just took my time, got everything torqued, marked, etc... I couldn't be happier with how it all turned out, and I'm really happy with the ride height.

Some details on the front setup are: Autofab bent beams, 2" drop beam pivots, heimed radius arms. Pro-Comp 6" coils, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Vital Designs custom bumpstop extensions. Tires are 315/75r16 KO2's.

Next up will be front/rear spring hangers & shackles from Desolate, and Deavers. Then gonna have a buddy do a paint correction, and finally, send her off for LineX in the bed and wheel wells. Once the paint is sorted out, I've got fresh F-250 fender/tailgate badges, and some trick brushed finish Ford ovals for the tailgate and grille.
nubreed71

Post by nubreed71 »

Lots to catch up on now that the site is back, here we go!

Scored a sweet set of Autofab motor mounts on RDC:

And then got all my goodies back from powdercoat on Friday, so I spent all day Saturday getting everything final assembled. It ended up taking me all day because I just took my time, got everything torqued, marked, etc... I couldn't be happier with how it all turned out, and I'm really happy with the ride height.

Some details on the front setup are: Autofab bent beams, 2" drop beam pivots, heimed radius arms. Pro-Comp 6" coils, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Vital Designs custom bumpstop extensions. Tires are 315/75r16 KO2's.

Next up will be front/rear spring hangers & shackles from Desolate, and Deavers. Then gonna have a buddy do a paint correction, and finally, send her off for LineX in the bed and wheel wells. Once the paint is sorted out, I've got fresh F-250 fender/tailgate badges, and some trick brushed finish Ford ovals for the tailgate and grille.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Looking GOOOD!
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
nubreed71

Post by nubreed71 »

Thanks brotha! I'm totally pumped on the results. I'm just hoping that when I slap the J40's on there they don't bring the rear up too much higher than it is now. We'll find out soon enough.
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

Looks amazing Taylor.....so clean and well executed!!
nubreed71

Post by nubreed71 »

I definitely had good input from some trusted friends!
nubreed71

Post by nubreed71 »

I ordered a couple badges (one for the grille, one for the tailgate) from Billet Badges out in Ramona since I'd gotten one from them for the Raptor and was really impressed with the quality. This time I went with something kinda understated...brushed finish with Ford blue. Most people walking by wouldn't even catch that these are aftermarket, but if you look close, you can see the detail. They took a little while since they were custom made to my specs, but a cool little detail for sure.

VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

Are the ends supposed to look old? Maybe that’s just the picture- sorry maybe I’m seeing something wrong??
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
nubreed71

Post by nubreed71 »

Not sure what you mean.
nubreed71

Post by nubreed71 »

Ran the ole girl over to RPM in Oceanside to get the rusty old tailpipe and Flowmaster cut off and a little Magnaflow muffler and turn down added. The 7.5L sounds sooooooo much better now and no tailpipe in the way for the rear spring install.

You can see where I stopped cleaning/painting the frame in the pic. The rest will be cleaned/painted when the bed is off and the spring hangers have all been removed. Now that I'm looking at the rusty old driveshaft...might be time to get that rebuilt while the truck is down for the rear spring install.

Pickuptrucker
Bronco Info: 1982 c6, 9" gears, lockers,

Post by Pickuptrucker »

Looks good
nubreed71

Post by nubreed71 »

New diff cover is on, and the ole girl is heading up to Richer tomorrow to get the J40's and front/rear spring hangers installed. It will be interesting to see what the rear ride height ends up at with the new springs.

redrdr67
Bronco Info: 1999 F350, 1999 E350, 1995 F150 2WD

Post by redrdr67 »

This is coming out clean! As usual. Are we taking bets yet if you're going to longer travel? LOL
nubreed71

Post by nubreed71 »

Honestly, probably not a bad bet haha. I'm really gonna try to stay stock width/stock fenders, but do want to end up with coilovers up front and some longer shocks under the bed out back. We'll see if I can stick with that...
nubreed71

Post by nubreed71 »

Rear suspension time! She's up in the capable hands of the boys at Richer Racing for the removal of the factory spring hangers and then installation of a set of front and rear Desolate hangers, Desolate shackles, RuffStuff spring plates, and Deaver J40's. I have absolutely no idea what the J40's are going to do to the ride height, but really only one way to find out. I guess worst case we pull a leaf out or I take the truck up to Deaver to have the springs de-arced a little bit.

It's a Crew Cab party over at RR right now.

And then me being me, I took advantage of the bed being off the truck to power wash the frame rails, fuel tanks, etc... before they cleaned/painted the frame rails.

Becks_Bronco
Bronco Info: 96 Eddie Bauer, 5.8

Post by Becks_Bronco »

nubreed71 wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 8:17 am
Here's what I went with. I'm told it's the same stuff Desolate uses on their builds.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I5 ... UTF8&psc=1
They use Steel-It, i have the invoice to prove it lol.