C6 vs. E4OD

Andy Jones
Bronco Info: In the Works!

C6 vs. E4OD

Post by Andy Jones »

Let’s here it! What are your thoughts and opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dont PM me.. I don't get them on Taptalk
funinthesun95
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco MAF UsShift

Re: C6 vs. E4OD

Post by funinthesun95 »

Andy, I would say it comes down to use. I feel your a drive to the dirt guy. 4 speed.

The 3 speed if fine if you are cool with gear set and tire size to keep RPM down.

also note doing a 4l80 with np205 will help with drive line length like the c6 does but give you Over drive.

I have a good complete C6 if you chose to do 3 speed it will be cheap.
Good people + Great info = GFB
@csracingteam
@Cockstarmotorsports
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

1st question is - what are you looking to spend?

But I do agree with Willie. Aside from the spectrum of TT budget vs. poor college kid budget it comes down to the use. The hardest part about c6 is no overdrive. And like Willie said, if you drive the thing much other than short trips to or from the dirt you may hate yourself later for not having OD. The bronco is too short to put a gearvendor on to help with that cause on the c6, so OD trans is the answer.
I'd say ask culhane on the 4l80 and see what he says. I be of the 3 (c6, E40D or 4l80) that would be his answer. When I had my c6 done by him years ago he was telling me it's smarter to go TH400 due to less overall cost in the end as they need to be rebuilt less than the c6's (at least in the big boy, luxury type prerunners). So even though the adapter plate and parts needed to put the TH400 behind the 351w cost more up front, the rebuilds cost less, better parts were available and the trans overall just "wore" better and lasted longer. Seems like the 4l80 is similar to the TH400 but with overdrive, so my guess is that would be the reccomendation. If I remember right it's shorter than the E40D also, so even if you didn't have to go to NP205 for T-case your combo may still gain some driveshaft length.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
1Hondalover
Bronco Info: Having so much fun with friends in Baja, we're not sure if we want to race NORRA.....

Post by 1Hondalover »

For what it's worth I'll throw in $.02. All subject to dollars and your budget of course.

And I have disdain for anything Government Motors, so nothing in that realm will enter my conversation here.

Not sure why the E4OD seems to be so problematic for OBS Prerunner folks. Not by Aamco of course, but many responsible builders can make one live. With more horsepower and/or torque than any Bronco can ever dish out. Many of you know Jim & Paige's Bronco is linked over 22" travel OE wheelbase with E4OD no driveshaft issues and we run it hard.

I personally can't stand dealing with a screaming engine in a Prerunner.....unless I need it to do so for the very short time that need comes. I rarely ever had the 351 over 3000, and I hope to stay the same with the new 427. Flying down the highway or the course is Prerunner Peaceful below 3K. So OD is necessary.

But I'm old, so maybe 5000 or better RPM isn't cool to me. Parts last longer, and I'm more relaxed at the end of a 200-300 mile day that I can enjoy my margarita. OK more than one.

Fords. I love them.
Andy Jones

Post by Andy Jones »

1Hondalover wrote:For what it's worth I'll throw in $.02. All subject to dollars and your budget of course.

And I have disdain for anything Government Motors, so nothing in that realm will enter my conversation here.

Not sure why the E4OD seems to be so problematic for OBS Prerunner folks. Not by Aamco of course, but many responsible builders can make one live. With more horsepower and/or torque than any Bronco can ever dish out. Many of you know Jim & Paige's Bronco is linked over 22" travel OE wheelbase with E4OD no driveshaft issues and we run it hard.

I personally can't stand dealing with a screaming engine in a Prerunner.....unless I need it to do so for the very short time that need comes. I rarely ever had the 351 over 3000, and I hope to stay the same with the new 427. Flying down the highway or the course is Prerunner Peaceful below 3K. So OD is necessary.

But I'm old, so maybe 5000 or better RPM isn't cool to me. Parts last longer, and I'm more relaxed at the end of a 200-300 mile day that I can enjoy my margarita. OK more than one.

Fords. I love them.
I’m right there with you, Jim! The new Moruzzi motor will be a screamer. But.. I’m not into the 5000rpm chirping down the whoops with the family guy! Lol
I like to go fast! Don’t get me wrong!

After talking with Culhane today. I’m gonna do the GM 4L80 swap. One of Steve’s deals was the stand alone harness for the E4OD. If it was ever to go out in Mexico.. I’d be screwed!

ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Steve's a great guy who takes the time to talk you through things. Lots f knowledge & experience there. Safe to assume he's converting the 4l80 to full manual? They have that E on the end in stock form but from what I've heard it seems to be much easier to dump that than on the E40D.

What T-case are you going with?
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
Andy Jones

Post by Andy Jones »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:Steve's a great guy who takes the time to talk you through things. Lots f knowledge & experience there. Safe to assume he's converting the 4l80 to full manual? They have that E on the end in stock form but from what I've heard it seems to be much easier to dump that than on the E40D.

What T-case are you going with?
Yes, full manual! It’ll have the Ford motor adapter plate. And he makes an adapter to keep the 1356.

VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

It’s an adapter plate or he’s cutting the front off the 4L80 case and putting a Reid bellhousing on that fits the first?
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
Andy Jones

Post by Andy Jones »

It’s an adapter plate

funinthesun95
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco MAF UsShift

Post by funinthesun95 »

I have also been looking at 6R80 but your back to the standalone as well along with paddle shift or stock shifter.
Good people + Great info = GFB
@csracingteam
@Cockstarmotorsports
Andy Jones

Post by Andy Jones »

funinthesun95 wrote:I have also been looking at 6R80 but your back to the standalone as well along with paddle shift or stock shifter.
Exactly! Keeping it 100% Mechanical.