F160 Frame Notching???

VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

F160 Frame Notching???

Post by VintageIronFab »

Hello All-
So on my F-150 I’ve got a great problem! So I’ve not put a set of bumpstops on the rear end and the rear end easily crashes into the frame. I’m thinking about a frame notch but I’m not thinking about a full rear bed cage. I do have 64” rear springs not a 4 link so diabolically weakening the frame is no bueno. If a rear cage on a truck is a must on rear go fast leaf sprung truck then I’ll just leave it alone for the time being.

Thx for the thoughts!
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Re: F160 Frame Notching???

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Everyone will have their own opinion here but I personally wouldn't notch a rear frame like that without a cage or bedcage that has tubes landing on either side of the notch to give some reinforcement, as well as a tube that lands directly on top of the notch if the bumpstop is on this location. The tubes from the cage/bedcage don't need to be right at the notch, but there needs to be a bit of the truss structure that the cage would create so as to keep the frame from bending at the notch.

I see a lot of lowriders, etc. do the huge notches and box things in which may hold just fin for them, but they aren't slamming on the bumpstops like us.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
Becks_Bronco
Bronco Info: 96 Eddie Bauer, 5.8

Post by Becks_Bronco »

Are you running bypasses? More oomph in the last section of travel, or hydro bumps? Wouldn't that be the less invasive/expensive route?
funinthesun95
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco MAF UsShift

Post by funinthesun95 »

Make sure the 64 pack likes or is allowed to arch to the point you are thinking of allowing it. Some leaf packs like it others don't ( based on type and build set up) so your better off limiting reverse arch based on that info to help performance.
Good people + Great info = GFB
@csracingteam
@Cockstarmotorsports