Let’s talk Motor upgrades ! Non Stroker..

Andy Jones
Bronco Info: In the Works!

Post by Andy Jones »

Tried looking around for a thread on mild mannered motor builds. Can’t seem to find anything.! We have the Stroker Motor thread.. but not everyone is looking for a Stroker Motor.
So.. with that being said.. what are some mild Cam, Heads, upper and lower intake modifications we can use with these 302’s and 351’s ?

For my application I’m looking for a bit more power. Not Stroker power.. I have 229000 on the rig. So she’s pretty tired, and I’m still having fun ! Looking into a rebuild and some bolt on modification and a tune. This rig was built to explore the deserts of Mexico and the states with the Family. Here’s some parts I’m looking into buying. I’m under the impression that these are bolt on/in modifications.

https://www.trickflow.com/parts/tfs-52515601-c01

https://www.trickflow.com/parts/tfs-51511006

https://www.trickflow.com/parts/tfs-51403001

Looking into the Bassani Lightning Headers too.

Let’s hear some opinions on bolt on fun having parts that don’t break the bank to badly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
XLR8
Bronco Info: 1995 Bronco XL

Re: Let’s talk Motor upgrades ! Non Stroker..

Post by XLR8 »

Thanks for the thread. My bottom end has been rebuilt like you I’m looking for options for top end power and exhaust. Bassani headers and Y pipe seems to be the way to go. I had been looking for kits for the top end but most are built for carbs.
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

Bassani headers and y pipe are the cats meow....I loved that’s setup. I never did more than that but Ryan had the best bolt on setup here I believe. Heads, upper and lower intake and squirters to match. I saw him chirp second on the street many times!
RyanDS650X
Bronco Info: Autofab '96 XLT 5.8

Post by RyanDS650X »

Check out my build thread for top end stuff, it's all in there. With any luck I'll be smokin tires through 2nd soooooon!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

RyanDS650X wrote:Check out my build thread for top end stuff, it's all in there. With any luck I'll be smokin tires through 2nd soooooon!

Hell yeah!!!!
Andy Jones

Post by Andy Jones »

Any good direct bolt on heads and cams ?.
I have a buddy that’s throwing in a e303 cam and possibly a set of GT40 heads.

RyanDS650X

Post by RyanDS650X »

I'll have an E303 for sale in a month. $100

Andy Jones

Post by Andy Jones »

RyanDS650X wrote:I'll have an E303 for sale in a month. $100

Is that what your were running before your new build ?

RyanDS650X

Post by RyanDS650X »

Andy Jones wrote:

Is that what your were running before your new build ?

Yes it served me well with the 351and edelbrock top end.

AussieRod
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.

Post by AussieRod »

I'll take it. Let me know when it's available and we will talk.
RyanDS650X

Post by RyanDS650X »

AussieRod wrote:

I'll take it. Let me know when it's available and we will talk.
You got it. I'll be in touch.

S00TLYFE
Bronco Info: IT RAPTOR NOW

Post by S00TLYFE »

Andy Jones wrote:Any good direct bolt on heads and cams ?.
I have a buddy that’s throwing in a e303 cam and possibly a set of GT40 heads.

I spoke to Steve at Powertrain Dynamics in HB which for those who don’t know, he’s been getting power out of Windsor’s for years now, here’s what he recommended to me.

For 302/351 both if you want a lot more power:
“I would suggest: AFR 165 or 185 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, and
CompCams XE266HR #35-514-8.

These parts will work very well on the 302 and if you stroke the engine to
331 in the future.

The stock MAF is fine for your 302 but the injectors should be increased to
24lb/hr. I can tune the Ford computer to work with these changes.”

I then asked about using GT40 heads and this was his response

“The GT40 heads match well with the XE266hr cam or a stock 89-95 Mustang 5.0 cam.”

These parts are recommend to be paired with the edelbrock intake and bbk throttle body as well as either bassani or bbk headers depending on if you have a 5.0 or 5.8

Personally I will probably do a fresh 302 short block with the intake and smaller throttle body and GT 40 heads and his recommended cam, it should put me around the same power as a stock LS pickup truck which is good enough for me.

Yes, I could LS swap the truck because LS drivetrains are cheap, however with the other stuff that goes into it I personally don’t see it being worth your time unless you want to make 350 plus at the wheels.

VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

I just can’t justify spending a dime on a 302 in the FSB- it’s just too damn heavy. There’s no replacement for displacement. Also why buy a 165 age for literally the same money as a 195? If you do decide a stroker is your path the 195’s are already bought and paid for. My truck put down 233 at the tire with a351 -a E303 cam, actual GT40 upper and lower with basically stock 351 heads. I’d rather have a 96 conversion van junkyard 5.8 than a reman stock 302 shortblock. LS swap really isn’t cheap as it’s put out there.
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
Needles929
Bronco Info: 95 Part Deux

Post by Needles929 »

I'll jump in here as I am giving the Bronco a new heartbeat as we speak. With budget in mind, I decided to replace the 302 with a 351 non-roller block that I got cheap. Stock balanced crank, factory rods, and hypereutectic pistons. Top end will have the GT40 heads, mild cam, roller rockers, and Edelbrock intake (Most Likely). I like the Trick Flow intake, but not sure I want to mess with adding an LS TB or what all that looks like. Also doing headers, Y-Pipe, and exhaust. It won't win any races, but should should be a good combo. I'll post pics on the build thread and see what kind of power we get out of her.
95 Part Deux. Starting from scratch.
ntsqd
Bronco Info: '70 Early Bronco SuperCab Shortbed Pick-up "Bronc-up" aka "Frank(entruck)", '96 OJB "Blanc-Oh!"

Post by ntsqd »

I need to do something about the pitiful power and poor mpg's. I'd be OK with the mpg's if it made 300+ HP and I'd be OK with the low power if got ~50% better mileage. My '91 Sub with a 350, 700R4, 3.73's, and 285R16's under a ~4" lift got 16 by the GPS if I did my part. When I didn't do my part it still averaged about 18%-20% better than the Blanc-Oh does when I am doing my part. That was an all stock & tired 350 that offered about the same power that this ~270k 351 is offering, not something purpose built. Note that my objection to the mpg's is based on fuel range, NOT economics. This engine management system is far more sophisticated than a TBI, it should do better than it does.

Reading Ryan's (not done yet) and Kritter's threads re: engines along with some other threads here & on FSB I'm left cornfused. Some say the Edelbrock intake is worth it, others do not. Current thoughts? I see that the much praised Bassani y-pipe has no E.O. number, which makes it off limits in KA. Still working out what exactly to do, but small port aluminum heads figure strongly in the plan. Just don't know if I should budget for the intake or merely tune up the OEM intake. I am curious what those two, and other purpose built engines, do tend to average in mileage.
Cross-threaded is tighter than Lock-Tite.
RyanDS650X

Post by RyanDS650X »

ntsqd wrote:I need to do something about the pitiful power and poor mpg's. I'd be OK with the mpg's if it made 300+ HP and I'd be OK with the low power if got ~50% better mileage. My '91 Sub with a 350, 700R4, 3.73's, and 285R16's under a ~4" lift got 16 by the GPS if I did my part. When I didn't do my part it still averaged about 18%-20% better than the Blanc-Oh does when I am doing my part. That was an all stock & tired 350 that offered about the same power that this ~270k 351 is offering, not something purpose built. Note that my objection to the mpg's is based on fuel range, NOT economics. This engine management system is far more sophisticated than a TBI, it should do better than it does.

Reading Ryan's (not done yet) and Kritter's threads re: engines along with some other threads here & on FSB I'm left cornfused. Some say the Edelbrock intake is worth it, others do not. Current thoughts? I see that the much praised Bassani y-pipe has no E.O. number, which makes it off limits in KA. Still working out what exactly to do, but small port aluminum heads figure strongly in the plan. Just don't know if I should budget for the intake or merely tune up the OEM intake. I am curious what those two, and other purpose built engines, do tend to average in mileage.
On highway at 70-75 I usually average 14mpg. I'm sure I cut that in half offroad.

'96 XLT 5.8l lil edelbrock, lil Autofab, LOTTA fun.

"I wouldnt even call adding beer as part of a prep...its like putting tires on the vehicle, you just do it."
-shockseals.com
ntsqd
Bronco Info: '70 Early Bronco SuperCab Shortbed Pick-up "Bronc-up" aka "Frank(entruck)", '96 OJB "Blanc-Oh!"

Post by ntsqd »

Thank you Ryan!
I could live with 14, can always drive it lower!
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Post by cs_drums »

ntsqd wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:10 am
I need to do something about the pitiful power and poor mpg's. I'd be OK with the mpg's if it made 300+ HP and I'd be OK with the low power if got ~50% better mileage. My '91 Sub with a 350, 700R4, 3.73's, and 285R16's under a ~4" lift got 16 by the GPS if I did my part. When I didn't do my part it still averaged about 18%-20% better than the Blanc-Oh does when I am doing my part. That was an all stock & tired 350 that offered about the same power that this ~270k 351 is offering, not something purpose built. Note that my objection to the mpg's is based on fuel range, NOT economics. This engine management system is far more sophisticated than a TBI, it should do better than it does.

Been a minute since I've been on here.

I researched all of this many times but my motor hasn't blown yet so it's all hypothetical. But....

From what I've read the Edelbrock work well on the 5.8 but not well on the 5.0 this is because the 5.0 has better runners than the 5.8.

With that I found some where (I'll try and find it) diy hybred with 5.8 ported to match the 5.0 upper. This is kinda what the Edelbrock is. The only down side is the very steep transition of the 5.8 lower vs the Edelbrock. I'm super charged so I'm hoping the flow characteristics aren't as finicky since I'm forcing air through.

I'm planning on doing a stock bottom end with gt40 head, DIY gasket match the heads to intake manifold, 5.0/5.8 hybrid intake. There is an upgraded impeller to go from 5psi to 8 psi for my blower then injectors and tune. All this should hopefully net me 250hp 😂😂😂 just kidding but I'm not expecting anything crazy to be honest. I was happy with the stock motor. The super chargers added some fun. Hopefully this will me even more fun. Not sure when it will happen though.
ntsqd

Post by ntsqd »

The DIY approach would be fine on the Bronc-up because it's a '70 (see "How cool is this"), but I already have an Exploder upper/Lightning lower combo for it. Being a '96 registered in KA the DIY intake would be a no-go on the Blanc-Oh!.

I know that it adds, perhaps significantly, to the cost but I can't imagine building an engine with iron cylinder heads if quality aluminum heads are available. Don't even care about the weight difference, I think that the other benefits make them worthwhile.
Crazy Horse
Bronco Info: 96 XLT 5.8 sleeper Solo susp.

Post by Crazy Horse »

Has anybody bought the Edelbrock Power package. Cam, aluminium heads, and truck intake. Just add JBA headers. Sounds easy enough,lol. Thats what im thinking for my 96 5.8L and then then go to the dyno shop.