Let’s talk Motor upgrades ! Non Stroker..

ntsqd
Bronco Info: '70 Early Bronco SuperCab Shortbed Pick-up "Bronc-up" aka "Frank(entruck)", '96 OJB "Blanc-Oh!"

Re: Let’s talk Motor upgrades ! Non Stroker..

Post by ntsqd »

Thanks! Made contact.
Cross-threaded is tighter than Lock-Tite.
RacerX
Bronco Info: 96, XLT, 5.0

Post by RacerX »

Does anyone have someone that can build a 302 short block? I am about to pull my motor and want to have the bottom end rebuilt. I am looking to bolt on some Edlebrock heads and do a cam. I am not sure what cam to go with as well as other bolt on items. Looking to get some input for a build. It's going to be mostly highway driven so I high hp isn't a priority as I don't want to sacrifice mpg if I don't have to. I did see S00TLYFE post regarding the info from the tuner. I am not sure if I want to go down that road with tuning. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.
S00TLYFE
Bronco Info: IT RAPTOR NOW

Post by S00TLYFE »

RacerX wrote:Does anyone have someone that can build a 302 short block? I am about to pull my motor and want to have the bottom end rebuilt. I am looking to bolt on some Edlebrock heads and do a cam. I am not sure what cam to go with as well as other bolt on items. Looking to get some input for a build. It's going to be mostly highway driven so I high hp isn't a priority as I don't want to sacrifice mpg if I don't have to. I did see S00TLYFE post regarding the info from the tuner. I am not sure if I want to go down that road with tuning. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.
Where are you located?

I’m in the same boat currently but going to try and limp my current 302 along for another year. For me I’ll be doing my gt40 heads, porting the intake, and then have a cam already for it. Not sure if I’ll punch out to like a 306 or not. Don’t care about crazy power, just would like 50-100 at the crank over stock with better drivability on Mexico gas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
https://donttellmywiferacing.bigcartel.com/ (We have shirts, stickers, saginaw pumps, and other Bronco/OBS goodies)
RacerX

Post by RacerX »

S00TLYFE wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:35 pm
RacerX wrote:Does anyone have someone that can build a 302 short block? I am about to pull my motor and want to have the bottom end rebuilt. I am looking to bolt on some Edlebrock heads and do a cam. I am not sure what cam to go with as well as other bolt on items. Looking to get some input for a build. It's going to be mostly highway driven so I high hp isn't a priority as I don't want to sacrifice mpg if I don't have to. I did see S00TLYFE post regarding the info from the tuner. I am not sure if I want to go down that road with tuning. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.
Where are you located?

I’m in the same boat currently but going to try and limp my current 302 along for another year. For me I’ll be doing my gt40 heads, porting the intake, and then have a cam already for it. Not sure if I’ll punch out to like a 306 or not. Don’t care about crazy power, just would like 50-100 at the crank over stock with better drivability on Mexico gas

I am in Fontana. I was going to wait as well to pull it. I just got the bronco a couple months ago. The original owner claimed it had a freeze plug leak. I chased it down to a front cover and water pump gasket leak. As I was tearing into it more and removing parts, I got to the point where I didn't want to go through this again in a couple years. Plus there was oil over every mating surface. I am with you, I just want a little bit more power over stock.
S00TLYFE

Post by S00TLYFE »

RacerX wrote:
S00TLYFE wrote:
Where are you located?

I am in Fontana. I was going to wait as well to pull it. I just got the bronco a couple months ago. The original owner claimed it had a freeze plug leak. I chased it down to a front cover and water pump gasket leak. As I was tearing into it more and removing parts, I got to the point where I didn't want to go through this again in a couple years. Plus there was oil over every mating surface. I am with you, I just want a little bit more power over stock.
L&R engines in Santa Fe Springs quoted me $4500 for a long block with AFR heads, pretty reasonable considering they go through everything and that’s IF I don’t provide a core

I used them for several engines years ago and Greg at desolate has used them a ton.

https://donttellmywiferacing.bigcartel.com/ (We have shirts, stickers, saginaw pumps, and other Bronco/OBS goodies)
ntsqd
Bronco Info: '70 Early Bronco SuperCab Shortbed Pick-up "Bronc-up" aka "Frank(entruck)", '96 OJB "Blanc-Oh!"

Post by ntsqd »

Made contact with Bigdogs. Not impressed. I don't need Pro-Stock Drag Race porting for a truck engine, which is what it seemed like they were trying to up-sell me on.
By their own published flow numbers I don't think a Std. Deviation of 9.3 CFM is consistent porting. Probably would be acceptable for a truck engine although I'd rather have it under 5. Under 3 from TB to valve seat would be my goal for a race engine.
Also kind of odd that you don't know where you're sending your parts to until you claim to have it boxed and ready to ship, and have sent them your eddress & return address.
I *might* send them my spare intake as an experiment once I'm to that point. Right now I need it.
RacerX

Post by RacerX »

S00TLYFE wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:56 am
RacerX wrote:
S00TLYFE wrote:

Where are you located?

L&R engines in Santa Fe Springs quoted me $4500 for a long block with AFR heads, pretty reasonable considering they go through everything and that’s IF I don’t provide a core

I used them for several engines years ago and Greg at desolate has used them a ton.

Thanks. Ill have to reach out to them.

I am curious if I would have issues with a CAM and being able to smog it.
S00TLYFE

Post by S00TLYFE »

ntsqd wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:17 am
Made contact with Bigdogs. Not impressed. I don't need Pro-Stock Drag Race porting for a truck engine, which is what it seemed like they were trying to up-sell me on.
By their own published flow numbers I don't think a Std. Deviation of 9.3 CFM is consistent porting. Probably would be acceptable for a truck engine although I'd rather have it under 5. Under 3 from TB to valve seat would be my goal for a race engine.
Also kind of odd that you don't know where you're sending your parts to until you claim to have it boxed and ready to ship, and have sent them your eddress & return address.
I *might* send them my spare intake as an experiment once I'm to that point. Right now I need it.
i dont think its that weird that he doesnt hand out his address upfront because i think he does it out of his house, when i sell my saginaw kits i prefer not to have people come by my house unless i know them or they dont weird me out. As for the porting, that is his bread and butter, and for the money im going to send him my spare intake and see whats up. hes a lot cheaper than ive been quoted by others and has good reviews with the 5.0 crowd, but i also get where youre coming from.
S00TLYFE

Post by S00TLYFE »

RacerX wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:07 pm
S00TLYFE wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:56 am
RacerX wrote:

Thanks. Ill have to reach out to them.

I am curious if I would have issues with a CAM and being able to smog it.
if you want to remain smog legal id say it probably depends on the cam, and obviously, visual inspection at the smog station. Id reach out to steve at powertrain dynamics and see if he has any advice for remaining emissions compliant.
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

I haven't read the thread, but I just put AFR heads on the 147,000 mile engine in Wilson. They made a HUGE difference. It already had Bassani headers. I wanted to put an Edelbrock intake on it but they were on backorder and I needed to get it back together.

I plan to have another short block rebuilt for it soon. The bottom end will be stock aside from a ford E-Cam. After seeing how well it runs with AFR heads-only, I'm confident that will make a great engine package.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
ntsqd

Post by ntsqd »

The Edelbrock Truck 5.8L intake has been on back-order since the middle of last year that I know of. I really want one for my 408. Summit persists in showing them only 3 months out, but that date keeps sliding. I have been told by a friend who needed an intake and investigated things that when Edelbrock was bought that they moved their foundry right as CV19 hit or maybe during and that has put them behind.
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

ntsqd wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:47 am
The Edelbrock Truck 5.8L intake has been on back-order since the middle of last year that I know of. I really want one for my 408. Summit persists in showing them only 3 months out, but that date keeps sliding. I have been told by a friend who needed an intake and investigated things that when Edelbrock was bought that they moved their foundry right as CV19 hit or maybe during and that has put them behind.
Copy and bummer.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
ntsqd

Post by ntsqd »

I'm hoping that the light that I'm seeing isn't the on-coming train. My friend did get his intake (Edelbrock cast, but sold exclusively by Trick Flow), so things could be loosening up there anyway.
24hours
Bronco Info: looking for a white, ex-police 5.8 with brown interior (Found!) 1996, 5.8 XL

Post by 24hours »

ntsqd wrote:

I’m tired of waiting on Edelbrock. I just sent my spare 5.8 intake to Big Dog’s for his “Stage 2” job. So far he’s been great to deal with. Not once has he tried to up-sell anything. He hasn’t mentioned his “Stage 3” a single time. We will see how it goes.
Cemeyer
Bronco Info: 1996, 5.0, E4od

Post by Cemeyer »

24hours wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:49 am
ntsqd wrote:

I’m tired of waiting on Edelbrock. I just sent my spare 5.8 intake to Big Dog’s for his “Stage 2” job. So far he’s been great to deal with. Not once has he tried to up-sell anything. He hasn’t mentioned his “Stage 3” a single time. We will see how it goes.
I’m very interested in your results and turnaround time.
24hours
Bronco Info: looking for a white, ex-police 5.8 with brown interior (Found!) 1996, 5.8 XL

Post by 24hours »

Cemeyer wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:33 am
24hours wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:49 am
ntsqd wrote:

I’m very interested in your results and turnaround time.

I’ll be sure to post up when I get it back.
VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

As far as the intakes - what about the very old tried and true Extrude Hone?
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
ntsqd

Post by ntsqd »

Great idea, but it's sort of like electro-polishing in that it only takes down the high points and smooths out the surfaces. It can't dramatically/radically change the size or shape of the port. So if a port is small for the cylinder in the way that it is used then Extrude-Hone isn't going to make it a huge amount better. OTOH if the intake is first opened up then Extrude-Hone can make a difference in turbulence and by reducing the boundary layer thickness. Really only applies to port injection, Carbs & TBI's won't benefit.