More powaaaaah from my 351w

XLR8
Bronco Info: 1995 Bronco XL

Post by XLR8 »

I recently bought a 95 project truck for my wife. It's got a 5.8 that the previous owner added an MSD ignition, Bearing kit, piston rings, Rod bearings, gasket, main bearings, timing chain, oil pump and water pump to. Very nice of him but it's slow and needs the topside updated.
I'm putting all new suspension from SOLO along with new wheels, tires and brakes but that's where my knowledge stops. I know almost nothing about these motors and need help understanding what can be done to make a nice daily with some ooomph. 350-400HP would be great.

I see kits from Edelbrock and Holley but all seem for carb trucks. Would i need something like the Edelbrock Total Power Package work by itself or is something additional needed?

Thanks and sorry it this is a dumb question, i'm still learning.
AussieRod
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.

Re: More powaaaaah from my 351w

Post by AussieRod »

Gonna be honest here, what do you WANT 350 - 400 HP for? DO you race this truck every day? Is it a daily driver? Do you have to do smog tests?
No, sir, what you NEED is more TORQUE, not horsepower. Seriously look at a 393 stroker kit, CARB approved aluminium heads, PORT MATCHED stock intake and use a roller block with a 87 - 91 Mustang factory roller cam and 1.7:1 rocker arms. Add good CARB approved headers and some form of off-road Y pipe and 3" single exhaust (fit the stock cat Y pipe only for smog tests). Them make sure you get it PROPERLY dyno tuned to maximise your combo. This will give you excellent torque, and better gas mileage (you wont have to lean on the gas pedal as much) for normal driving. Just my $0.02.
XLR8

Post by XLR8 »

Yeah you’re absolutely right. Torque is much more important for me. Any idea if someone makes a kit with all the parts I need? I don’t want to have to become expert on these motors as I already support two race cars I own and have had to become to an expert on their systems.

Thanks for your reply!!!
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Post by cs_drums »

There are several build on here to go from but no one make a “kit”. These motors are old tech and not many people building them.

The biggest restriction is the own style intake. Edelbrock makes a replacement but still a lot to be desired. Look at Shockseals recent stroker build, very well done smogable power

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AussieRod
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.

Post by AussieRod »

XLR8 wrote:Yeah you’re absolutely right. Torque is much more important for me. Any idea if someone makes a kit with all the parts I need? I don’t want to have to become expert on these motors as I already support two race cars I own and have had to become to an expert on their systems.

Thanks for your reply!!!
No problem. :D The reason I would choose the 393 is that it is a 3.85" stroke, and is a drop-in using the stock 351W rods and 302/5.0 pistons. The 87 - 91 hyd. roller cam in the Mustang 5.0 will give a smooth idle, plus extra lift and duration over the stock hyd. flat tappet truck cam, plus the 1.7 rockers will boost he lift, etc. while still being smog friendly. AFR 165 heads (I think) are CARB ok and there are still CARB friendly headers available. Like Kritter, I'd stay with the stock intake, even though it might be restictive for serious performance, the small runners make goos airflow velocity and will make good low speed torque in the range you need for daily driving. I would port match it to the AFR's and leave the stock TB, it flows plenty for what you need. The biggest "cork" is the factory cat Y pipe. I'd only fit it for smog test, and run a well made Y pipe to 3" and a good sized muffler to keep the sound driver friendly. I would look at using the same year 7.5 ECM and 24 lb injectors with a 393, it would be pretty close in tune, still have the E4OD programing and perhaps only needing a minor tweek to get it spot on. Again, just my $0.02.
XLR8

Post by XLR8 »

Thanks again for all the details. The bottom of mine was refreshed two years ago so was hoping for just top side work. Might drive it for 2019 with my new suspension and investigate motor swaps.