Bronco Speed Class???

VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Bronco Speed Class???

Post by VintageIronFab »

Hello All,
So I’m at the last Baja 1000 chasing for the #16 TT and I see like 4 seriously decked out 80-96 FSB and I’m thinking — why is there not a 80-96 Bronco class in SCORE it BITD? We all know about Jeep Speed - why not a Bronco version?? So I’m thinking how do we keep this class all about fun but still make it really competitive? So here are a couple of my thoughts on the rules:
-80-96 Bronco only
-stock wheel base +/- 2”
-stock TTB front diff with unlimited plating
-radius arms any configuration
-rear leafs -hangers must use factory holes
-any brakes
-37” tires max 17” max wheel size
-stock width axles - 5/8” studs permitted
-any Ford Windsor based engine
-any Ford production SBF transmission that was released in on a FSB in production
-front suspension max length of 16”- bypass and coilovers- 3.0 max
-rear shocks max length of 12” rear shocks must be inboard the frame no coilovers permitted 3.0 max
-floorboards must remain stock except for cage to pass thru
-frame to remain stock length except for 6” on front -rear for bumper attachments.
-Fiberglass top to remain in place
- Fiberglass front/rear fenders, Fiberglass hood, Fiberglass tailgate permitted- tailgate must be in place
-SCORE/BITD cage approved
-transfercase must be bolted to transmission like stock- atlas t case permitted
-any fuel injection/carb permitted

Just some of my ideas to make the class available to guys would still think these trucks are fun, tough but competitive. I think keeping the suspension basically stockish like most you see on here would make the competition tighter and keep the money down some and things like prep really important.

Just my thoughts ....
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Re: Bronco Speed Class???

Post by dtbback »

I really like this idea but I think allowing a +4 track width, +7 wheelbase, and outboard rear shock placement would be better.
MOSS2

Post by MOSS2 »

I would love to see a bunch of broncos racing. I don't think your rules would make it any cheaper or easier to run than a competitive Class 3 car now, just slower and heavier with more stuff to maintain. I think those that dream of racing their prerunner/daily driver might do it once or twice then dedicate it to one or the other since it will always be up on jackstands between races.
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Bronco Speed Class???

Post by cs_drums »

I like the idea but withholding extending the beam and rear width brings it down to class 3 arena. Why not just a sportsman class like class 2000 but for full-size SUV. Basically stock drivetrain, manufactures long travel kit and leafs springs with no limits on length etc.

The problem I have is I’d like to race my toy but I’m not willing to limit my weekend fun to fit into a limited class. There for I’m to over wide for class 3 and to slow for class 1450.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VintageIronFab

Post by VintageIronFab »

The reason for stock width and a bronco only is the same as the jeepspeed- so that you get the comradery of another bronco - same premise as a class 11 VW. Let’s face it you don’t Offroad race for money or fame lol! The stock width to me with inboard shocks just keeps the class tighter more competitive and when the class doesn’t use wider axles you simply again keep the class tighter and it doesn’t turn into a money war. Let’s face it a nicely prepped truck and a good team could have a blast - if class 11 can be fun a Bronco speed would be better.

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
arse_sidewards
Bronco Info: 94 F150, 133"+8ft, 4x4, 4.9, E4OD, lots of rust

Post by arse_sidewards »

If you want to keep the costs to something a garage building could run once or twice in a year then I think you should disallow coil-overs completely, drop the shock size to 2.5 and allow rear leaf spring hangers in non-stock location so people can run longer leaf springs and allow unlimited shock length and mounting location but require that the sheet-metal (or glass) remain stock.

Fabbing different leaf spring mounts, making different rear shock mounts and adding shock towers to the coil buckets are all budget friendly things so there's no reason to disallow them. When you start allowing coilovers and 3.0 shocks that starts giving the real moneyed teams an advantage.
'94 F150, 4.9L, lockers at both ends
cs_drums

Bronco Speed Class???

Post by cs_drums »

And this is why there won’t be a class haha

I think the biggest problem with classes are the extensive limitations. It doesn’t save anyone money it ends up costing more in having to think out side the box. That’s why many of the limited classes aren’t what the used to be, 7, 7s , 8 etc yet you have newer classes like 2000, spec TT etc.

Most people have broncos cause they are bad ass all around prerunner, chase, weekend family mobiles. Now your talking about making a race class where I have to make it under perform so it fits into a class.

Why not keep the class simple, then anyone can race what the have and want to own. Money will always win reguardless of how you limit Specs

hollandermotorsports
Bronco Info: 1990 Bronco lifted, 1995 Centurian F-150 with body lift delete

Post by hollandermotorsports »

Sounds like an expensive class 3 set up.

Why not just race class 3? So sbf, stock width with fiberglass and 37s. Take into account that its easy to spend $20k+ building SBF, $10k+ building trans, $12k+ for rearend that lives much less the score legal 2" cage. But you are worried about someone beating you that spent an extra $600 on a set of shocks. Racing off-road is the worst investment ever. I love racing off-road but you cannot enter the sport on a tight budget trying to race otherwise it chews you up and spits you out. The only way to become a millionaire racing off-road is to start a billionaire is the saying tossed around. Why would it only be 1980-1996? A bronco is a bronco. We do not need more classes participation trophies suck build a class 3 if you want to race a short wheelbase 4x4 it will be cheaper or just race sportsman. There is nothing cheap about spec class racing I did it for a few years. Just my .02

I would bet said vehicle by the time it is wired and race ready there will be $100k+ into leaf sprung bronco. Then not to mention $30k-$50k in spares needed to run a race or season. There is a good reason stock full died when Manufacturers pulled out of off-road.
VintageIronFab

Post by VintageIronFab »

This would obviously not be a class that sees a Geiser prepped built class- although it surely could be. This I would see would be a DIY class where a group of guys build a truck and just get to enjoy the experience with other like minded guys. The reason for the leafs in the factory holes is that it allows the guys to use more of a rear bolt on suspension. A 64” leaf mounts are supposed to use factory holes. The reason for the 12” shocks between the frame is that you can only mount them so many ways which greatly decreases the fabrication time. I would think the shops who enjoy the 80-96 Bronco platform would love a class like this.

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
hollandermotorsports

I understand the theory and if I could get away with a $500-$1000 prep my race truck would not sit in my garage I would race every race. But the reality is when you spend $10k+ on entry, rooms, fuel, and other race related costs to race with a premere org. like score or bitd then you spend the money on prep and build to get to the finish and try to win. The way you phrased leaf mounts must retain factory holes that leaves a lot open to push limits similar to Chris and Glens bronco. You could have super long leafs built and run links to keep rearend centered then a cantilever arm changing a 12" ratio so it is controlling 24"+ travel but keep it under the bed sp technically it is legal. Chassis has to be decently built in order to pass safety inspection. Remember as a fairly stock vehicle you will be one of the last vehicles on the coarse it will be destroyed. Also hope you dont get nerfed that would set you back some dough as well. I would say it falls under class 3 so run there.

This sounds like a great tuff trucks event or even the bronco only class at jump champs which always seems to have great turn out. For baja arrange and post race prerun or poker run it will save you tons of money.
cs_drums

Bronco Speed Class???

Post by cs_drums »

Hollander hit a lot of the points I was thinking.

The best bet would be a run what you bring attitude. That way the average guy that wants his bronco 90% of the time for weekend fun could through a few grand together with some friend and complete he SCORE Baja 1000. Not have to build his truck to the spec of a class he may do a time or two.

So keeping it an open, maybe not competitive, to all sportsman class with minimal rules like..... bronco, stock wheelbase, door slammer, shell, pump gas only, would let anyone with a nice prerunner go have fun racing fellow broncos.

The team I used to help out with back in the day did so well in the 7s class the owner through a built motor in it and started winning in 7 open. Leaf spring, stock a-arm S10 w/450hp was beating full tilt 7 open truck. Good prep, logistics, chase and Baja knowledge gets you a lot more than Manet most times

VintageIronFab

Post by VintageIronFab »

Ok well think of it this way - there’s a zillion $500 80-96 Broncos all over the country but especially the southwest; some are free! More than likely no one is going to run a stock rear spring but a commercial multi-leaf is Deaver and the 64” Deaver mounts in factory holes- some would say that’s a waste- it’s all preference- if a guy wanted to run stock springs go for it. Everyone has to have a cage; some guys are going to have a Geiser quality, some DIY and some like a modified Solo— as long as it passes. Again this class would in my mind would be not a pro level class. I mean do you really think this class a guy goes out and puts a dry sump nascar engine- no a good strong basic 400hp engine is not some exotic power plant and neither is a C6- and at 400hp doesn’t necessitate an exotic build- but it could if you wanted! Basically again this class would be no different than a Jeep Speed only I would think more durable with infinite amount of great used parts all over the damn place. This may never go anywhere but I think it would be fun. Hell I think a stock Raptor class would be awesome too!

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
hollandermotorsports

Sounds great get a bunch of sponsors together as Jeep Speed does and you will have entries and then you can present to BITD and Score for them to explain that your class is a Class 3 short wheelbase 4x4. Some of the jeepspeeds winning are 100k+ builds.

I will make you a deal I will be your first Stock full bronco series sponsor. I will give the class money for payout but must be minimum 8 entries, must run our components steering, beam pivot brackets, radius arms and brackets, knuckles, and VSS if needed. Also must run Hollander Motorsports decal on both sides of vehicle and must be present at tech and starting line. I will give $15% off for the class racers and give the class $20k per season to divide as purse and year end points fund. $20k check will be handed to the class organizer at the finish of the first race with 8 starters for the purse to be divided and spread amongst the class for the season. As a sponsor I would like to see your series run the Mint 400 as its great advertisement and gotta think about ROI, Also Baja 500 and Baja 1000. you can pick 2-3 other races to make a full season. Welcome to spec series racing.

There is a reason why the 1450s at Rage at the river this weekend do not race the baja 1000. For starters costs, for second reliability of a $10k race vehicle, third costs. It is about $5k today to enter a race with entry, tracking, memberships, score tag chassis inspection.

Solo WIY Cage would never pass score tech sorry to break anyone's heart. Needs to be minimum 2" diameter per weight of vehicle. Plus add door bars, proper triangulation, gussets, frame tie ins.

Raptors do have a class its called stock full which is where the one Greg Foutz built races with factory ford help.
MOSS2

Post by MOSS2 »

Full floor, top, glass and all the extras to race you will be approaching 6K lbs. A single 2.5 shock and stock springs controlling all that will have all the class 11cars blowing past you in the rough. The rough is about 90% of races now if you have post run any lately. The other 10% is mostly speed zone. I would love to hear of somebody that has a setup like proposed that can run San Matias to Puertocitos non-stop and average more than 30mph and not kill the shocks. The 400 hp is not that useful in most of the 18mph stuff, which is a lot.