Shocks!

tactical328
Bronco Info: future broncozilla

Shocks!

Post by tactical328 »

Hey guys back again with more questions!

So in the process of spec'n out shocks. My bronco will probably be a 80/20 onroad/offroad vehicle (just due to logistics of where I live etcetc) . but I do want it to do big boy GFB shit. It has a 4 link rear suspension with trophy style links and 4.5"+TTB - currently planned to do 2.5" shocks (coilover and bypass) in the rear, and a 2.5" IBP coilover in front. Is it worth it/better to go with a separate coilover/bypass in front still using 2.5" shocks instead of a single IBP coilover?

Also does the brand of shock make a big difference in performance or reliability? Original plan to use Kings, possibility to use radflo or fox or whatever. Door is open to all possibilities.

Thanks in advance for the input
Tchajagos
Bronco Info: 1993 xlt stock on 33' BFGs

Shocks!

Post by Tchajagos »

If you run a coilover/bypass in the front it makes tuning easier and you can set up the bypass so you won’t have to use a hydro bump stop.

A single coilover in the front with a big hydro bump stop will give you a similar effect but not as easy to tune.

Most big builds run coilover/bypass for a reason. Even if they don’t know what that reason it.
tactical328

Re: Shocks!

Post by tactical328 »

Yeah a multi tube bypass I could tune myself without having to disassemble the shock and mess with with stacks and all that... Is that worth another 1k?
yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Post by yikes »

Single 3.0 IBP coilover in the front with finned reservoirs will handle most drivers. If you plan to run hard (subjective) for long distances, 3.5". King can get the valving really close right out of the box, as Uribe has a Bronco and knows what they need.
tactical328

Post by tactical328 »

Any opinions on shock brands?
VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

First off what’s the legit budget- we could talk all day about 3.5” shocks and you have monroematic money to spend.
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
tactical328

Post by tactical328 »

Oof. Well budget is somewhat flexible I've made peace with the fact that my bronco build is going to kick my shit in - I'm trying to get a feel for what's worth paying for and what's not. I suppose michael cox's bronco had 25 year old shocks in it and did all sorts of nutty shit. But my current plan is to run 2.5" shocks trying to decide king or radflo ( or whatever other options might be better?) maybe its worth the money to put in a coil/2tube bypass in front vs a IBP? Just looking for pros/cons, general advice, what would you do different with your own stuff.
tactical328

Post by tactical328 »

What length of shocks do you guys recommend? I know solo and others recommend a 12" shock for the front and 14"/16" for the rears? Is there any problem in using longer shocks? (availability of used stuff)
Stan the Man
Bronco Info: 1996 Ford Bronco, trail ready/sand loving.

Post by Stan the Man »

tactical328 wrote:What length of shocks do you guys recommend? I know solo and others recommend a 12" shock for the front and 14"/16" for the rears? Is there any problem in using longer shocks? (availability of used stuff)
It all depends on mounting positions, actual travel numbers, shock brand, etc. I run 12" Kings front and rear on the Solo stuff.
mustacheride
Bronco Info: 90' OJ Style

Post by mustacheride »

Give Ryan or Andrew a call at Accutune. They will set you up with the right shocks for your application and tuned right out of the box for no extra charge. These guys know what they are doing and stand behind their product. IMO Fox has the best technology and engineering available right now.

http://accutuneoffroad.com/
Tchajagos
Bronco Info: 1993 xlt stock on 33' BFGs

Shocks!

Post by Tchajagos »

12”s in the front for stock width work great. 4.5” over beams can be made to work with either 12s or 14s. Your limiting factor on bump is the tire hitting the ac box and on bigger tires, the firewall or core support. Your limiting droop factor will be the center u joint.

For the rear if you are keeping it under the bed 12s work perfect here too. You can bump on the frame, metal to metal and still droop out to the limit. The limit for droop in the rear will be the driveshaft binding up on e4od broncos. The shocks are fully extended just past this bind, so 12s work perfect.
tactical328

Post by tactical328 »

Thanks guys!
mobil1syn
Bronco Info: 1996 - operation mijo hauler

Post by mobil1syn »

fox makes the best product, but are too tied up with OEM contracts to care about the public.

king are ok but servicing and tuning is more expensive.

unless the fluid is recirculating a finned reservoir is a waste of money.
mobil1syn
Bronco Info: 1996 - operation mijo hauler

Post by mobil1syn »

also if you are going through the trouble of links, id go 2.5/3.0 on all 4 corners.

unless you have the experience or have access to someone who does id steer clear of IBPs. fox and king are both quirky and labor intensive in getting them tuned right.

id pass on radflos
tactical328

Post by tactical328 »

Thanks!