JBG J40

THEJESUS
Bronco Info: WHITE 1992 BRONCO XLT w/ 4" LIFT ON 35" TOYO OPEN COUNTRY'S

JBG J40

Post by THEJESUS »

Quick question: I am thinking of going JBG J40 deaver setup I realize they are 3" wide not like the Q80 that are 2.5".
I am wondering is the original setup on a bronco a 3" wide leaf already? If not what shackles to go with to help carry the 3" J40's'
any information would help
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough!
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Re: JBG J40

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Yes the broncos are 3" wide leafs stock. The 4wd F-150's of the era are as well. The 2wd F-150's were 2.5" wide leafs like the F54 / Q80.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
THEJESUS

Post by THEJESUS »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:Yes the broncos are 3" wide leafs stock. The 4wd F-150's of the era are as well. The 2wd F-150's were 2.5" wide leafs like the F54 / Q80.

Thanks for the information... looks like I will order up the J40's... should I still change out the shackles or can I leave them stock?
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Depends on budget & desire. Longer shackles will up your travel numbers a bit (they let the leafs droop & compress a bit more), and they will also mess with your ride height. Do some reading around here about what shackles guys have used. Some are long & hit the body. Solo makes a kit to lower the shackle hanger for this, but I'd rather just get a shackle that works in the 1st place vs. buy the shackle then the kit to change this.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
Tchajagos
Bronco Info: 1993 xlt stock on 33' BFGs

JBG J40

Post by Tchajagos »

I have some J40s that have 2” of lift taken out. I made some shackles just like the solo shackles but for a 3” wide spring and dropped the hangers down. I had a lot of leaf separation at droop. I don’t know if this is due to the 2” off lift taken out or it’s just the stiffness of the 3” spring.

I ended up moving the hanger back and it cycled a lot better.

The Q80s have a bit more arch to them so I think that may be why these don’t cycle the same as the Q80s.
RyanDS650X
Bronco Info: Autofab '96 XLT 5.8

Post by RyanDS650X »

I just installed these https://desolatemotorsports.com/shop/su ... nco-80-96/
I'm much happier with them than the Camburgs I used to have that rubbed the floor of the bed.
'96 XLT 5.8l lil edelbrock, lil Autofab, LOTTA fun.

"I wouldnt even call adding beer as part of a prep...its like putting tires on the vehicle, you just do it."
-shockseals.com
THEJESUS

Post by THEJESUS »

I know the q80 are much stiffer than the j40s so that might be an issue as well..

Ryan thanks I think I will order the desolate shackles as well. I want to get this setup on as soon as possible. I still have to regear the front end since my front diff blew out
Codybrippin
Bronco Info: 96 bronco xl 5.0 5 speed

Post by Codybrippin »

I’m curious what front spring hanger you guys are running . I’ll be installing my j40s with a threat dropped rear spring hanger and extended shackle but I am undecided if I get a new oe style hanger , change to an f250 hanger or another option ?