Lower link mount location on axle

tactical328
Bronco Info: future broncozilla

Post by tactical328 »

Hey guys,

I've been thinking about this for awhile, why do trophy trucks/desert rigs run their lower links under the rear axle? Compared to KOH or Ultra4 cars that run their lower link mounts either flush with the bottom of the axle or parallel with the axle tube?
I'd like to run my lower link mounts higher up to prevent them from hanging up on stuff like the KoH cars. Is it a matter of keeping link separation without sacrificing up travel? Or is it something to do with getting the right antisquat values?

Thanks
Tchajagos
Bronco Info: 1993 xlt stock on 33' BFGs

Post by Tchajagos »

Shocks mounted off the axles or off the lower link?
Tchajagos

Post by Tchajagos »

Looks like it’s for clearance so nothing can get hung up on rocks. It puts a lot more strain on the upper links though. But ultra 4 cars are generally smaller and lighter than trophy trucks.
tactical328

Re: Lower link mount location on axle

Post by tactical328 »

Yeah my shocks will be mounted to the lower link, I do trail and crawling alot in my rzr - most of the ORV areas in WA are trails and such not alot of open desert so I still would like to keep the bottom smooth as possible in the Bronc. Probably wont be a problem...
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Post by cs_drums »

Just don't short course style link. Less work, high clearance and cheaper

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Post by cs_drums »

Just do*

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
BDKW1
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!

Post by BDKW1 »

It is purely for ground clearance. As noted it does put a lot more compression force on the upper links. It will also screw with your anti squat numbers.

If you mount the lowers at an angle to get the mounts on the axle as far as possible, they will be much less likely to hang up on rocks. It will also make for a more stable ride without resorting to a swaybar.
tactical328

Post by tactical328 »

I dont get what you're saying - mount the lowers to get the axles as far as possible? far as possible where?
Tchajagos

Post by Tchajagos »

tactical328 wrote:I dont get what you're saying - mount the lowers to get the axles as far as possible? far as possible where?
Far out as possible. As close to the wheel as you can without rubbing the tires. The tires protect the lower link tabs.
tactical328

Post by tactical328 »

Ah yes of course. Also good for locating the rear axle/triangulation.
BDKW1
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!

Post by BDKW1 »

Sorry, drunk posting. Like now.... Should have read as far out on the axle as possible.
AussieRod
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.

Post by AussieRod »

BDKW1 wrote:It is purely for ground clearance. As noted it does put a lot more compression force on the upper links. It will also screw with your anti squat numbers.
That explains a lot. I've saved a lot of pictures of diffrent link set-ups so I can build my own for the F100 later on, but couldn't figure out why the f**k the lower axle pivots were on the front of the axle housing, instead of underneath. Probably should have asked the same question a while ago. I have a couple of diffrent 4 link calculators, and front mounting the link throws the geometry WAY off. Learn something new every day ;)