rear axles

bajascott
My belly is my best friend
Bronco Info: its black, its fun to drive,and i dont have enough money to build it the way i want to!:)

rear axles

Post by bajascott »

so i am looking into rear ends for my latest upgrade,i have a buddy that can get these for a little cheaper than retail.
but i want your opinion on axles,
my plan is to install flange ends and not run full floating axles,and use the stock style ends.i am going to be 3 1/2 " wider per side on this.
who makes them,what have you used,and how much did you spend or will i spend?? i have no idea.i am just thinking outloud and cooling off (its 100 in my garage and i am a whimp when it comes to heat now.... :( )
http://www.spidertrax.com/3-OD-x-3-8-Wall
FRONT YARD FABRICATION
http://ssfab-n-offroad.com/
bajascott
Bronco Info: its black, its fun to drive,and i dont have enough money to build it the way i want to!:)

Re: rear axles

Post by bajascott »

i found these axles,mosers for 330 a pair?
http://quickperformance.com/Products/housings.htm#Axles
FRONT YARD FABRICATION
MOSS2

Post by MOSS2 »

We run the Ruff Stuff Specialties housing now and are very happy with it. Lots more clearance and we havent had to plate the bottom like the stock type we were running. I like the smoother look of them compared to some and a little less money. They will take care of you too they like their customers. Lots of other good stuff there too if you look or ask.

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/cat ... 9de2ed77ab

Ken
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

Anyone using a Currie 8.8/9" hybrid?

From another forum:
The Currie built 8.8" Ford rear end features a unique hybrid design that is exclusive to Currie Enterprises.
All Currie units feature 8.8" center section castings- original and 100% new are available.These castings feature the factory ABS receptacle.
All units include new tubes, and 9" Ford style housing ends installed.
This design allows for the use of Currie's performance 9" Ford style large bearing axles that are positively retained-eliminating C-clips and eliminating the need for any leaky C-clip eliminator kits.
Additional benefits to using the 9" style ends and axles is the vast selection of disc and drum brake kits that are available to fit this configuration, also this design is compliant with racing sanctioning bodies' ' no C-clip' rules.
These Currie rear-ends are well suited for street, performance, and off road applications.
Reasons to choose the 8.8" are primarily ABS/Speed Sensor related. Most newer F-150's and Broncos are very difficult to completely replace the rear ends in due to these vehicles' computer systems' dependency on the rear end speed sensor.

These are avalible bare right from Currie for just under 6 bills.

http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestor ... px?id=1750

Or what apears complete from BroncoGraveYard for just under $1200

http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-323 ... ds_std.htm
bajascott

Post by bajascott »

ive been looking at the ruff stuff housing.
Ken, are you guys running a full floating axle set up?i am trying to keep it on the cheaper side,so i would like to not spend bookoo dollors on hubs. thanks for the link!
Tony, http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestor ... px?id=3455
this looks like a nice deal, i wonder if currie will work on the price?? haha
FRONT YARD FABRICATION
Polarcub
Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........

Post by Polarcub »

tcm glx wrote:Anyone using a Currie 8.8/9" hybrid?

From another forum:
The Currie built 8.8" Ford rear end features a unique hybrid design that is exclusive to Currie Enterprises.
All Currie units feature 8.8" center section castings- original and 100% new are available.These castings feature the factory ABS receptacle.
All units include new tubes, and 9" Ford style housing ends installed.
This design allows for the use of Currie's performance 9" Ford style large bearing axles that are positively retained-eliminating C-clips and eliminating the need for any leaky C-clip eliminator kits.
Additional benefits to using the 9" style ends and axles is the vast selection of disc and drum brake kits that are available to fit this configuration, also this design is compliant with racing sanctioning bodies' ' no C-clip' rules.
These Currie rear-ends are well suited for street, performance, and off road applications.
Reasons to choose the 8.8" are primarily ABS/Speed Sensor related. Most newer F-150's and Broncos are very difficult to completely replace the rear ends in due to these vehicles' computer systems' dependency on the rear end speed sensor.

These are avalible bare right from Currie for just under 6 bills.

http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestor ... px?id=1750

Or what apears complete from BroncoGraveYard for just under $1200

http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-323 ... ds_std.htm
Tony that looks interesting, I think that this may be a good option for alot of people it seems that the price is may be less in the end to go this route over the (" conversion hassles I may have to look into this further hmmm.
Jeremy
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

Food for thought:
I went thru this same issues for my big upgrade. Get quotes from local fab guys. Include Dirt-tech for the top of the line new stuff. Currie seems to be selling better stuff these days rather than the less expensive rock crawler stuff.
The no c-clip not ff axles have the failure mode that the end plate holds the axles in place. During hard cornering this plate will flex more than the C-clips do. The FF is a very robust design and is commonly avaiable small enough for stock wheels. The vendor alloy axles will give acceptable service. Best material is 300M.

For a tight budget forget about new stuff and just search for a racer setup from someone who is upgrading (what I did). Use it as is for the lowest cost. Otherwise minimal changes would probably be needed? Suspect such things as the big FF ends which require wheels with bigger hole. I just had the fab guy put the smaller FF ends on my used racer housing. This allowed use of stock Alcoa wheels and 5-5,5 pattern.
Paul
============
bajascott wrote:so i am looking into rear ends for my latest upgrade,i have a buddy that can get these for a little cheaper than retail.
but i want your opinion on axles,
my plan is to install flange ends and not run full floating axles,and use the stock style ends.i am going to be 3 1/2 " wider per side on this.
who makes them,what have you used,and how much did you spend or will i spend?? i have no idea.i am just thinking outloud and cooling off (its 100 in my garage and i am a whimp when it comes to heat now.... :( )
http://www.spidertrax.com/3-OD-x-3-8-Wall
MOSS2

Post by MOSS2 »

We use mostly old Cone FF stuff on the Ruff Stuff Housing. You could just as well put Flange or any type end on them. Don had a nasty four time end over end barrel roll deal in a circle track car due to a flange axle letting go so he has vowed to never use them in a performance application. I tend to agree. We may be trying out Ruff Stuffs floater hubs sometime in the future. They also have connections for axles and heat treated links that look reasonable.

Ken
bajascott

Post by bajascott »

i am aware of some of the issues with flanged axles set ups,but for what i use my bronco for it will be plenty strong and have a good life.
i have third member and all new disc brake brackets and hardware that i was going to use on my bronco before i decided to change everything.
FRONT YARD FABRICATION
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

After the issues I've had with my 9" I think I would build a different style axle.

Take a stock 10.25 Sterling and put the correct snouts or bearings for a 5x5.5 full floating hub. Built for a flangless 35 spline axle and drive plates. Beat the crap out of it and enjoy the VSS, 3.5 inch tubes, and 35 spline axles. Never worry about failure.

I say this because I have ruined several axle bearings and now a pinion bearing and seal in only 22K of abuse. The 10.25 holds almost twice as much fluid (1 gallon!) and is 3" wider.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Perfect timing for this thread. Nick and I talked a bit about this both on the way up and on the way home this weekend. I know Nick was also picking Don's brain about it at Pismo, but unfortunately I had to skip out on that conversation so as to keep Steve from throwing away some left over beans. Being a single guy who doesn't cook makes it so the wasting of food is not acceptable - haha.

Nick has been talking about the Currie 8.8/9" hybrid and I think he is sold on it.

I'm a bit different. While I do have a speedway engineering floater housing, axles and hubs for the supercab I an considering looking at a fabricated housing instead. With how many new, cool housings are out there (GMR, Ruff Stuff, Camburg, Dirt Tech, etc. etc.) the prices are really coming down and I think the strength benefits, better clearance, etc. might make it a worthwhile investment.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
Nick
Founder
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target

Post by Nick »

I understand the point that Paul makes, but i really have to be honest with myself, as to how hard i am going to push my truck. While we can all agree that a stock 8.8 is not the best choice for a dezert application, it has been pounded on by many people, with mostly good results. For me, any upgrade from the 8.8 will be an improvement, that's why i'm sold on the currie hybrid.

I can put in gears and a locker now, and when i'm ready, swap it all into the new housing, and not have to buy them again. You eliminate the c-clip, without using that crappy c-clip kit, and you get heavier duty axle tubes.
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
tcm glx
Peanut Butter

Post by tcm glx »

Nick wrote:I understand the point that Paul makes, but i really have to be honest with myself, as to how hard i am going to push my truck. While we can all agree that a stock 8.8 is not the best choice for a dezert application, it has been pounded on by many people, with mostly good results. For me, any upgrade from the 8.8 will be an improvement, that's why i'm sold on the currie hybrid.

I can put in gears and a locker now, and when i'm ready, swap it all into the new housing, and not have to buy them again. You eliminate the c-clip, without using that crappy c-clip kit, and you get heavier duty axle tubes.

I have to give credit where credit is due... Nick actually turned me on to the 8.8/9" housing and I agree with him and in the same spot..... although I do prerun a little, I mostly do chase duties and roaming pits... so I am thinking that the hybrid should do me good. The only thing I am considering as an upgrade is topossibly get some sort of truss... I have a call into Currie to see if they offer anything on it.
bajascott

Post by bajascott »

for my application,i am going to need extended axle tubes, i dont know of any stock stylehousing that are 7" wider over all.
i have thought about diving into hacking a 9" housing and rebuilding it to my specs but i figured it would be cheaper to just buy a housing and weld the flanges on and ordering custom axles.....i figure i could be into a rearend for a grand that way.(using my third,my disc mounts and calipers)
FRONT YARD FABRICATION
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

Racer used axles are all wide. and quite a bargain compared to new custom
Paul
====
bajascott wrote:for my application,i am going to need extended axle tubes, i dont know of any stock stylehousing that are 7" wider over all.
i have thought about diving into hacking a 9" housing and rebuilding it to my specs but i figured it would be cheaper to just buy a housing and weld the flanges on and ordering custom axles.....i figure i could be into a rearend for a grand that way.(using my third,my disc mounts and calipers)
tcm glx
Peanut Butter

Post by tcm glx »

This is the guy that re-geared my bronco for me.... he did a great job. He put this together:
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/pts/1839552159.html

"1987-1996 Ford Bronco 8.8 to 9" ford axle conversion.

With this conversion I take your current 8.8 assembly and, disassemble it, hot tank it, the ends are professionally removed and new high strength ford (" bearing ends are welded on. The tubes are welded to the housing. Then a set of High Alloy 9" shafts are made to fit. The axles are fitted with new bearings, seals, retainers and wheel studs. Then the axle housing is assembled with the new axles, ALL New Disc brakes including the parking brake, and your gears and carrier is re-setup in housing.

This removes all the weak links of the axle assembly.
NO MORE C-Clips
High Strength Axles are installed
Disc Brakes are installed
The Tubes are welded to the housing

You bring me your 8.8 without oil or cover and get back a ready to install 8.8/9" Hybrid.

ALL FOR 1550 OUT THE DOOR!

For only 350$ more you can get 35 spline Chromoly super axles and a full spool installed!

Robert
714-875-2414
email us from our website (too many phony emails if we list a address here)
www.rwkhaussupply.com "
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

I wonder how much if he leaves the stock brakes on it.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Post by yikes »

Why not just use a 10.25" and do the same thing for around the same price?
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

yikes wrote:Why not just use a 10.25" and do the same thing for around the same price?
Good point - Pilo and I were talking about this a bit at the race this weekend.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
mesquito_creek
Bronco Info: No Bronco 92 F150 4x... Pretty close?

Post by mesquito_creek »

SteveG wrote:I wonder how much if he leaves the stock brakes on it.
x2 ... plus re-gear and 6 inches wider than stock.