Budget Junker Leafs?

Sneaky_Russians
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 5.8L E4OD, All stock minus turd 33's!

Budget Junker Leafs?

Post by Sneaky_Russians »

As funds are very limited during school semesters, is there a writeup or anything on budget re-arched junkyard spring packs?

My 96 is getting front coilovers and will be bumped and strapped at whatever it needs to prevent u joint binding, within a few weeks, but I need/want a budget pack of leaves until july or so.

I hear about 64 chevy junker springs often, so any help or ideas?

And if not, I still need new springs. This truck is from up north and the leaves are badly rusted, but the body and frame are suprisingly rust free- except for above the rear tires. Ford really dropped the ball on corrosion protection on the quarter panels.

I have 2.5 16" bypasses I am going to stick thru the floor, and will just mount them to the top shock plate until they get mounted to the old axle perch when it goes spring under with G2 packs.
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Budget Junker Leafs?

Post by cs_drums »

I’ve heard of guys running 64” chevy main leaf with f53 pack underneath it in a spring under application. I believe they are getting 19”. I’ll see if I can dig up where I saw it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sneaky_Russians

Re: Budget Junker Leafs?

cs_drums wrote:I’ve heard of guys running 64” chevy main leaf with f53 pack underneath it in a spring under application. I believe they are getting 19”. I’ll see if I can dig up where I saw it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i cant find the right combo for search terms for desert go fast stuff. just crawling stuff.

I've seen stuff before I just cant find it also.

thanks!
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

There's a huge thread on dezertrangers about the budget leaf spring deal. I'd be looking at newer trucks like the F-150 and chevy 1500's to start. Over the years manufacterers have gone to longer leaf springs and thinner leaves with more leaves per pack vs. the old 3-4 leaf packs of the 90's. All of this is in search of a better ride. More, thinner leaves vs. fewer, thicker ones helps with spring rate a lot.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Hit enter before I finished...

The only real downside with the "budget" leaf packs is the time spent in the setup & tuning. It will take a bit of trial & error to get it right, which equates to pulling the leaves in an out of the truck & adjusting the pack per number of leaves, etc. It's all just very time consuming, but may be worth it to you if you have a lot more time than funds...
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
Tchajagos
Bronco Info: 1993 xlt stock on 33' BFGs

Budget Junker Leafs?

Post by Tchajagos »

I have a set of stock spring that have been re-arched for 2” of lift if you are interested. Also have a set of 4” lift springs. Was going to use them in my bronco but I will probably just go with deaver Q80s. (951)452-4050
Sneaky_Russians

ChaseTruck754 wrote:There's a huge thread on dezertrangers about the budget leaf spring deal. I'd be looking at newer trucks like the F-150 and chevy 1500's to start. Over the years manufacterers have gone to longer leaf springs and thinner leaves with more leaves per pack vs. the old 3-4 leaf packs of the 90's. All of this is in search of a better ride. More, thinner leaves vs. fewer, thicker ones helps with spring rate a lot.
AHA! i got it. dezert rangers never showed up on google. i was using un-optimal search criteria.

I have a few deaver packs on other vehicles, so i will get them, when i get teh monies. You know how it goes.
Sneaky_Russians

Tchajagos wrote:I have a set of stock spring that have been re-arched for 2” of lift if you are interested. Also have a set of 4” lift springs. Was going to use them in my bronco but I will probably just go with deaver Q80s. (951)452-4050
I come down there offshore fishing a lot to san diego. I'll let you know. thanks.
VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

Just buy a used $400 set of deavers and be done with it. The driveshaft on a bronco is the limiting factor on a FSB anyway. A 64” spring isn’t going to increase the wheel travel much it’s the spring rate that 64’s produce that’s the reason to use them. The hassle of 64’s and the cost isn’t free. Think of it this way you spend a whole weekend screwing with a rear spring setup you could have been at some shitty job paying for springs.
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
Sneaky_Russians

I dont have time for a job. I study for school to get a non shotty job when i graduate.

And if theres a $400 deavers anywhere let me know i can afford that. Not the $850 for the g2 packs
Tchajagos
Bronco Info: 1993 xlt stock on 33' BFGs

Budget Junker Leafs?

Post by Tchajagos »

Without notching the frame you are pretty much limited to ~17” of travel before your driveshaft binds. You can run deaver Q80s and under the bed 12” shocks and you will get the same amount of travel as if you went spring under and shocks through the bed. No need to run shocks through the bed unless you are linking it or notching the frame.