UMP air filters

Andy Jones
Bronco Info: In the Works!

UMP air filters

Post by Andy Jones »

Does anyone know if they are still in business ? And if so, what is the part number for the Ford Bronco mass air unit..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BDKW1
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!

Re: UMP air filters

Post by BDKW1 »

They are still kicking. Located by the Oceanside airport now.
BDKW1
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!

Post by BDKW1 »

BTW, he's selling SXS air filters as fast as he can make them. Very busy........
Andy Jones

UMP air filters

Post by Andy Jones »

BDKW1 wrote:BTW, he's selling SXS air filters as fast as he can make them. Very busy........
Thanks man! I’m going to swing in there next week

CrazyBRONCOguy
Bronco Info: 1992 and a 1978

Post by CrazyBRONCOguy »

Please post up what you end up doing, Interested in doing this myself aswell
'92 Eddie Bauer- C6 Swap, 9" Swap, Roller 357W, AFR 165's, MAF, SCT Tuned, 4.10's
'78 Custom- 4" Deaver Lift, Mild 460, 8 Point Cage, 4.10's
pat_car22
Bronco Info: 1995 Bronco XLT 5.0-

Post by pat_car22 »

Any updates on this??
Andy Jones

UMP air filters

Post by Andy Jones »

Installed one on my Bronco.

VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

The only thing I’d like to add or ask is - IF you happen to have one of these and are getting a dyno tune. I’d love to know do these take any power away vs the K&N variety that are out there. These sometimes I’ve heard are too restrictive for certain applications but I genuinely have no idea. My only reason to say yes is that the 6.2 Raptor version is YUGE compared to the others I’ve seen and that is only a 411 hp engine.
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
Andy Jones

UMP air filters

Post by Andy Jones »

The one I have is 4” inlet and 4” outlet. 8” in diameter and 12” overall length. It’s rated up to 800hp. Breaths way better and way cleaner than a K&N.

LvSteve
Bronco Info: 1995 XLT Sport. 96 427w e4od obd II system........ SOLD IT

Post by LvSteve »

I run a AFM and have very good luck. Much cooler air charge then metal air box. It dyno's very well !

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/afe- ... /overview/
S00TLYFE
Bronco Info: None Anymore!

Post by S00TLYFE »

Andy Jones wrote:The one I have is 4” inlet and 4” outlet. 8” in diameter and 12” overall length. It’s rated up to 800hp. Breaths way better and way cleaner than a K&N.

Any pics of the setup? I need this for my truck I have a bastardized setup right now to clear my desolate cage
https://donttellmywiferacing.bigcartel.com/ (We have shirts, stickers, saginaw pumps, and other Bronco/OBS goodies)
Andy Jones

UMP air filters

Post by Andy Jones »

Here's what I have.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

pat_car22
Bronco Info: 1995 Bronco XLT 5.0-

Post by pat_car22 »

Nice!! I just picked mine up, and looking for install bracket ideas. Looks good, what size tires? 35...
Andy Jones

UMP air filters

Post by Andy Jones »

pat_car22 wrote:Nice!! I just picked mine up, and looking for install bracket ideas. Looks good, what size tires? 35...
37’s

shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

the UMP above with 4" in and out and 12" long flows sub 500CFM. For a stock motor thats ok, the OE flows right around 400CFM but if a performance motor is in the future, plan now.

Id recommend this one if going custom...
https://shop.donaldson.com/store/en-us/ ... 0029/34603

80 series land cruiser also a great "OE" option at 480CFM, thats what I currently have but am looking to increase flow and filtering by moving to the donaldson above if I can package it. Real easy access too with land cruiser or donaldson.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

My thoughts are this - it’s a dyno question- put on a K&N and then say a UMP size like Andy runs which seems common. I need to get my engine retuned so I just might do you all a real world test at my expense. The reason is the motor trend engine masters series and watching them test air cleaners and the surprising figures they reach. My only thing that makes me agree with Keith is the UMP filter built to fit the 10-2014 -6.2 Raptor- it’s waaaayyyy larger than you typically see. I’d just love to know if a single filter will work on about a 350hp engine or does it really need 2 or does the side need to be much larger.
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

I would never run a K&N other than on a street car with a carburetor. The ump is disliked by dyno guys with maf due to how the sensor gets the air to calibrate fuel delivery. A MAF makes calcs based on laminar flow across the cross section...therefore the filter assembly its hooked to should try to deliver that. If it cannot, the tuner needs to compensate for that in the table. If you have a custom build/tune and all you changed was the filter housing (which I plan to do) it should be dyno'd again if the MAF will see different flow across it so you dont have an ill running motor. If the MAF will not see different flow it should not affect it.

For a paper type tractor filter like UMP it is just not large enough in most cases and why the CFM is inadequate in addition to the air flow being turbulent so its a double whammy. The 8" dia, 12" long is rated for 250HP per their website.

I wouldn't waste time comparing an open K&N or guaze type filter to a real paper filter unless you had equal CFM filters being tested but to get equal flow, you would probably need a paper housing that was 3-4x the size of a K&N which isnt realistic based on packaging. I recall years ago asking UMP if they had a better packaging solution and his reply was "you shoulda built your vehicle with air filtration in mind" because the required air clenaer from them was so massive to get proper cfm.

The raptor UMP looks adequate sized for cfm for a raptor
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
Becks_Bronco
Bronco Info: 96 Eddie Bauer, 5.8

Post by Becks_Bronco »

I can't find the specs, but i am running a Donaldson PowerCore sold by Volant on my K&N intake tube. I haven't had any MAF related issues, and the inside of the tube stays extremely clean. No oil, rated at 99.95% efficiency.