Damn!! Almost had it...

Needles929
Bronco Info: 95 Part Deux

Damn!! Almost had it...

Post by Needles929 »

Hey guys, I would like your feedback here.

The wallet sniper has struck again leaving me feeling like the Geico commercial with the old man casting the fishing pole with the dollar on it! "Ya almost had it that time" LOL

I was sooo close to ordering a kit for the front end a couple weeks back with some money I had stashed. Just the mid travel Desolate kit, but I was excited. Somehow we managed to detonate a motor in the family Camry so between down $$ on a new car, insurance and plates, the Bronco will have to wait till after the holidays. I still need to do front shocks right away though. Here is where you all come in for help deciding.

I could easily just order a pair of 5100's to bolt on and then just get the rest of the kit minus the shocks later but I have a little extra $$ now if there is a better recommendation for the shock upgrade.

I see a wealth of shocks for sale here in the Phoenix area. I am not quite sure what will fit though. Also, I am kind of confused on the front shock placement. Mine has the dual shock mounts in the front. I see some guys with the single rear mounted shock and some with the single front mounted shock. What's the difference? Mine has just the front mounted shock and I noticed that the shock mount on the beam is cracked. So I will either replace the bracket or mount the shocks in the rear position.

If you were me (with all your guys's knowledge and experience) what would you put on it??

Thanks in advance for your insight.
95 Part Deux. Starting from scratch.
Tchajagos
Bronco Info: 1993 xlt stock on 33' BFGs

Damn!! Almost had it...

Post by Tchajagos »

For the single shocks the rear shock is the main shock and the front shock is the auxiliary shock. You should have the rear mounted ones at least. If it was me I would just save the money for the big kit. No need to waste money if you think you will be getting the kit soon. Why buy shocks twice?
Needles929

Re: Damn!! Almost had it...

Post by Needles929 »

Tchajagos wrote:For the single shocks the rear shock is the main shock and the front shock is the auxiliary shock. You should have the rear mounted ones at least. If it was me I would just save the money for the big kit. No need to waste money if you think you will be getting the kit soon. Why buy shocks twice?
That is what I thought on the shock location.

I was only planning on buying the Desolate kit with the 5100's included, not the coilover kit. I shouldn't have to re-buy shocks when I get the rest of the parts. Beams, Arms, etc.. I have the rear to consider as well. lol
Tchajagos
Bronco Info: 1993 xlt stock on 33' BFGs

Damn!! Almost had it...

Post by Tchajagos »

Do you have a lift on your bronco right now? I believe the shocks are for a lift. They might be too long on a stock setup.
Needles929

Damn!! Almost had it...

Post by Needles929 »

Tchajagos wrote:Do you have a lift on your bronco right now? I believe the shocks are for a lift. They might be too long on a stock setup.
Yeah. 4” but it is just the drop bracket pro comp lift. I would think the shocks would still work when I ditch the bracket lift for the C&T beams. The springs are the almost the exact same length as the ones with Desolate and Solo packages. Radius arms as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Needles929

Post by Needles929 »

Installed the 5100's yesterday. Feels much better!

I don't really like the top mounted shaft bushings. When tightened to a slight squish, they feel loose. Mushroom city if you torque them to spec as Bilstein states. I wonder why they don't include a thin wall sleeve as a torque stop...
Attachments
Bilstein 5100 installed.jpg
Bilstein 5100 installed.jpg (714.05 KiB) Viewed 618 times
Bilstein 1.jpg
Bilstein 1.jpg (469.31 KiB) Viewed 618 times
zachwabbit
Bronco Info: '93 F150 XLT, '89 2wd B2(Smurfette)

Post by zachwabbit »

Some F250 shock towers will fix that, use the same style mount as the beams do, and will allow you to run a longer shock. Btw that's some crazy lookin rear shock mount /track bar..? setup you got goin on there haha looks interesting
Potato.
Needles929

Post by Needles929 »

zachwabbit wrote:Some F250 shock towers will fix that, use the same style mount as the beams do, and will allow you to run a longer shock. Btw that's some crazy lookin rear shock mount /track bar..? setup you got goin on there haha looks interesting
LOL! Right!? That shit is in a pile now. Hideous!
zachwabbit
Bronco Info: '93 F150 XLT, '89 2wd B2(Smurfette)

Post by zachwabbit »

Haha never seen anything like it, that some kinda old school kit or custom?
Potato.
Needles929

Post by Needles929 »

zachwabbit wrote:Haha never seen anything like it, that some kinda old school kit or custom?
The only thing I could find was the ProComp rear traction beam kit. I really don't know what the true advantage is to it. Probably more of a looks thing than any.
S00TLYFE
Bronco Info: None Anymore!

Post by S00TLYFE »

i would buy the bilstein 5100s for now, you can get them from 4WP cheap on sale weekends (like black friday) and they have decent resale for other guys who are starting a build when youre ready to upgrade. I got $300 for 4" pro comp coils and front/rear 5100s (paid $365 on sale weekend from 4WP)
https://donttellmywiferacing.bigcartel.com/ (We have shirts, stickers, saginaw pumps, and other Bronco/OBS goodies)