longer axles for ttb

Prerunbronc
Bronco Info: 95 bronco 5.8 coilovers, deavers, 2.5 fox, full glass, air bumps, 9" rearend

longer axles for ttb

Post by Prerunbronc »

who sells longer axles for ttb i am building a set of beams and will need to get the axles made. i can get the axle blanks and was goin to stop by currie to see if they can spline them but can you guys think of anybody else.
thanks
baja-chris

Re: longer axles for ttb

Post by baja-chris »

home made works fine. it's easy. go-fast front axles are under much less stress than compound low range rock crawler axles.

take two sets of junk yard axles. cut them each so the pieces will make up the length you need. v-cut the ends and place them in a piece of angle iron to align them and weld them up. for racing put a sleeve over the assembly (before welding) with a few holes drilled in the sleeve. weld up the v-cut. grind it round so the sleeve will slip over the seam. center the sleeve and weld it to the axle through the holes. best is to grind out the ends of the sleeve as if you were going to fit it to a tube then weld the end of the sleeve to the axle and the weld will not all be in one radial spot because you have ground the sleeve out.

don't have a picture but it would be more descriptive than these words.
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

There is nothing special about the axles except the one that goes into the pumpkin on bolt on axle 3rd models. Anyone that makes D44 axles can make them. Call Dutchman. I know they can for sure.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Post by yikes »

As Chris described...

ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

was discussing this with a buddy today. Has anyone ever looked at taking the 31 spline axles out of a Chevy axle and having the, cut down and re-splined to length? Since only the inner axle would have to be lengthened and Summers Bros. will re-spline the axles for $20 ea. (according to my buddy) - why is this not an option people look at?

Heck - you could take the longer axle out of the TTB and re-spline it to use as an "extended" one on the short side and then only have to get one Chevy axle to re-spline. Still the Chevy axles don't neck down near the yoke like the stock TTB axles so it is a bit stronger to just do both Chevy.

Personally I've never messed with widening a TTB as my "go fast" stuff has always been 2wd or stock width so there may be something my buddy and I weren't seeing that will prevent using the chevy axles, but still I thought I'd throw it out there.

Oh yeah - and if you guys still want to cut and extend ones the way Chris described and don't feel like trying to pull the axles out of a junk yard truck to get the 2nd set - contact me. I can sell you some stock ones...
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

Aftermarket axles, replined straight axle axles, and welded axles are all options that work.
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Axle splice

Post by PaulW »

From the FAA repair manual. For tubes as shown
For a tube the sleeve thickness is usually the same as the parent tube wall thickness.
For a solid shaft homework required to find the wall thickness of the sleeve.
Find the formula for stress in the solid shaft then size the tube sleeve for the same stress.

The details shown are exactly the same for tube or shaft. A close fitting sleeve using weld clearance is acceptable. For a 2 piece sleeve put the sleeves in the vice and make the sleeve fit tight against the shaft. Note the callout for a rossette = plug weld.

I looked and looked and my Roark text book is gone. It is the mechanical engineers hand book for stress formulas. Dirty trick. I bet someone took it off my desk at work - long time ago!. Here is the book
http://www.amazon.com/Roarks-Formulas-S ... 0070725411

Paul
Attachments
Tube splice (Medium).jpg
Tube splice (Medium).jpg (31.4 KiB) Viewed 5041 times
RSR

Re: Axle splice

Post by RSR »

I have used this method on numerous things around the farm with what ever tubing I could find that half way fit. It works very well. Never had a failure.
Squarehead

Axleshafts for extended TTB beams?

Post by Squarehead »

If you are running twin-traction beams that have been extended, where did you get your axleshafts?

My beams have been extended 4" on each side -- I need to get my hands on some new shafts and am open to suggestion. Any advice is appeciated-
convoy

Post by convoy »

I have the 4" extended Camburg Beams and I went to Solo Motorsports for mine. TIP: Before putting them back in remove a large portion from the center u-joint yoke, otherwise the u-joint will limit your travel a great deal. It's also easier to do this on the workbench and not laying on your back under the truck.
Here's a link to what I'm referring to (LOOK at the very bottom of this page):

http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazin ... apring.htm

I would also remove more than what is shown.
bajascott
My belly is my best friend
Bronco Info: its black, its fun to drive,and i dont have enough money to build it the way i want to!:)

Post by bajascott »

i cant find pics of the ones i did for Trevor maybe he can snap one or two
like said before 2 sets and sleeve them. i dont do the v cut but basiclly the same thing...
FRONT YARD FABRICATION
http://ssfab-n-offroad.com/
TrevorPiggott
Bronco Info: 99 F250 and a 1994 I started building but spends too much time sitting untouched...

Post by TrevorPiggott »

Here are the axles that Scott did for me
Attachments
exaxles3.jpg
exaxles3.jpg (239.38 KiB) Viewed 4867 times
exaxles.jpg
exaxles.jpg (253.44 KiB) Viewed 4867 times
Be nice to me, I'm learning....and slow in the head...
bajascott
My belly is my best friend
Bronco Info: its black, its fun to drive,and i dont have enough money to build it the way i want to!:)

Post by bajascott »

thanks trevor!
FRONT YARD FABRICATION
http://ssfab-n-offroad.com/
ryan B
Bronco Info: prerunner

Re: Axleshafts for extended TTB beams?

Post by ryan B »

Squarehead wrote:If you are running twin-traction beams that have been extended, where did you get your axleshafts?

My beams have been extended 4" on each side -- I need to get my hands on some new shafts and am open to suggestion. Any advice is appeciated-

CTM

http://www.ctmracing.com/
PaulW

Re: Axleshafts for extended TTB beams?

Post by PaulW »

Since the junk yards are full of old F150s and Broncos that have never been used in 4wd that is the place to get your axles. Take your chances. I bet the first ones you get will be like new. Tehn follow the instructions in this thread. No big deal at all.
PaulW
========
Squarehead wrote:If you are running twin-traction beams that have been extended, where did you get your axleshafts?

84dezertbronc
Bronco Info: 84 bronco 4x4

Post by 84dezertbronc »

what size tubing did you use for the sleeve?
robjs111
Bronco Info: 1998 F150 , Bronco in Progress

AXLES FOR EXTENDED BEAMS

Post by robjs111 »

Wondering what the options are for front axles if you extend front beams by 2 or 4 inches per side. I have seen axles that have been extended by fabricating a spacer to add length but not sure how well that will hold up. Other than that what is price to buy a new set of extended axles?
Thanks.
PaulW

Re: AXLES FOR EXTENDED BEAMS

Post by PaulW »

robjs111 wrote:Wondering what the options are for front axles if you extend front beams by 2 or 4 inches per side. I have seen axles that have been extended by fabricating a spacer to add length but not sure how well that will hold up. Other than that what is price to buy a new set of extended axles?
Thanks.
====
Don't think any axle people will take on a one shot long axle. Your best be is make your our out your pares There are threads on gfb that tell you how. They end up stronger and last.
PaulW
philofab
Basura Blanca

Re: AXLES FOR EXTENDED BEAMS

Post by philofab »

Dutchman will make them.
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Sho nuff,
SteveG