knuckle Taper Adapters

shockseals.com

knuckle Taper Adapters

Post by shockseals.com »

Anybody know who makes taper pins for the steering that have a 1/2" stud? Preferrably heat treated 17-4?

Anybody know the TRE taper?
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Re: knuckle Taper Adapters

Post by philofab »

shockseals.com wrote:Anybody know who makes taper pins for the steering that have a 1/2" stud? Preferrably heat treated 17-4?

The TRE taper is 7 degree if I remember right. You would be better off drilling for a F-911 bolts with misalignments. I think a 5/8 ends up working well.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Years ago, someone told me Kartek used to stock them. This was when they were first getting into truck stuff, so it's been a while. I don't have any idea what they were made of, though.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

philofab wrote:
shockseals.com wrote:Anybody know who makes taper pins for the steering that have a 1/2" stud? Preferrably heat treated 17-4?

The TRE taper is 7 degree if I remember right. You would be better off drilling for a F-911 bolts with misalignments. I think a 5/8 ends up working well.
I found 1.5" per foot which is roughly 7.125 degrees. I will measure when i get home. Either should work.

I will be running misalignments. Drilling it sucks for the sole reason if you break a knuckle in the middle of nowhere and happen to get a knuckle...its that much more hassle to get going again. I was going to drill and double shear it but thats just over the top.

Leduc uses this stud/taper adapter set up on his x-over steering but he doesnt return calls. I know of a few leduc broncos running it without issue.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

shockseals.com wrote:I will be running misalignments.
You might not need a spacer at all as there's not a lot of misalignment. If the geometry is good you might be able to put the heim right on the knuckle.
shockseals.com wrote:Drilling it sucks for the sole reason if you break a knuckle in the middle of nowhere and happen to get a knuckle...its that much more hassle to get going again.
Exactly. Keep it simple. I didn't know Leduc used studs in the knuckles. It makes a lot of sense to me and I'm surprised we can't buy them at just about any desert off-road shop.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

shockseals.com wrote:I found 1.5" per foot which is roughly 7.125 degrees. I will measure when i get home. Either should work.

I will be running misalignments. Drilling it sucks for the sole reason if you break a knuckle in the middle of nowhere and happen to get a knuckle...its that much more hassle to get going again. I was going to drill and double shear it but thats just over the top.

Leduc uses this stud/taper adapter set up on his x-over steering but he doesnt return calls. I know of a few leduc broncos running it without issue.
IFAIK there is only a 10 and 7 degree taper used on balljoints/tie rods. It should be 7 degrees.

Keep trying on contacting Leduc. He is a very busy guy, I have his and his sons cell number if you can't get a hold of him. PM for them.
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

SteveG wrote:
shockseals.com wrote:I will be running misalignments.
You might not need a spacer at all as there's not a lot of misalignment. If the geometry is good you might be able to put the heim right on the knuckle.
shockseals.com wrote:Drilling it sucks for the sole reason if you break a knuckle in the middle of nowhere and happen to get a knuckle...its that much more hassle to get going again.
Exactly. Keep it simple. I didn't know Leduc used studs in the knuckles. It makes a lot of sense to me and I'm surprised we can't buy them at just about any desert off-road shop.
kartek sells a "9/16 taper" adapter for buggy guys. I dont even know WTF that means. It works out to be a 5 degree taper after I had him give me all the dims since I didnt know WTF 9/16 taper meant. They "dont know what material its made of but people have used it in the baja 1000" and they've "heard or ford guys using them in knuckles"
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

shockseals.com wrote:They "dont know what material its made of but people have used it in the baja 1000" and they've "heard or ford guys using them in knuckles"
Well if it's good enough for the most grueling point to point race in the world then it's good enough for YOU Mr. customer.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
11wnb
Bronco Info: 93 EB 5.8 daily driver

Post by 11wnb »

Check out BCBroncos.com. It sounds like this is what you are looking for. http://www.bcbroncos.com/steeringlinkage.html
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

11wnb wrote:Check out BCBroncos.com. It sounds like this is what you are looking for. http://www.bcbroncos.com/steeringlinkage.html
Thanks. Thats close, but for independent suspension it needs to use misalignments not just bolt straight to the heim like that.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

You might want to measure the amount of misalignment, Kris. If you can't go straight to the knuckle with a heim you could probably get away with a really small spacer between the two.

EDIT: With the stock steering, the driver side wheel has tons of misalignment at the outer tie-rod end, the passenger side (which is duplicated with a single swinger) has little misalignment.
Attachments
Note the lack of spacers between the heims and steering knuckles.
Note the lack of spacers between the heims and steering knuckles.
pa120015-2.jpg (164.21 KiB) Viewed 889 times
Sho nuff,
SteveG
MOSS2

Post by MOSS2 »

These probably arent exactly the geometry you are looking for but Speedway may give you a lead if you give them a call. Maybe Stock Car Products or Affco also.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Adjustabl ... ayId=35534.
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

Fodrill makes them. 4130 heat treated...picked them up from ORW.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

I also picked up a lot of 8 of them since it was a good deal this week...if anybody needs a set let me know.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
Prerunbronc
Bronco Info: 95 bronco 5.8 coilovers, deavers, 2.5 fox, full glass, air bumps, 9" rearend

Post by Prerunbronc »

I have bought some from mckenzies for other projects
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

I'm confused, what exactly are you doing? Sorry for the stupid question, just haven't been around long enough to know.
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

hobbyturnedobsession wrote:I'm confused, what exactly are you doing? Sorry for the stupid question, just haven't been around long enough to know.
He is replacing his stock steering with hiem joints without modifying his knuckles.
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

I kind of got it. That replaces the tres right?
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
toddz69

Post by toddz69 »

hobbyturnedobsession wrote:I kind of got it. That replaces the tres right?
Yes.

Todd Z.