Over the knuckle steering question

TheChubbyOutdoorsman
Bronco Info: 1994 F150 supercab 4x4 5.0l e4od getting a make over for going fast

Over the knuckle steering question

Post by TheChubbyOutdoorsman »

This may have been covered somewhere, but i couldn't find it.

Has it ever been discussed to run an over the knuckle type steering? Ream a taper into the knuckle, weld in a taper sleeve, and flip the tie rod to the top of the knuckle? Would this be beneficial in go fast applications? I've seen it done on crawlers and such. Debating on doing so on my factory knuckles.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Re: Over the knuckle steering question

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

People have done this with single swing steering setups. They typically drill the taper out & run a bolt through for a heim & then weld a plate setup to the knuckle as well so as to add a double shear setup for the heim.

What is your goal? There are some clearance issues to look at & if your desire is to just move the tie rod up & out of the way a bit more like on a crawler it would be too much work to justify that I'd think. Now if you are extending or modifying your beams & building a custom steering setup along with that then you'd be doing the work anyway so it could be worth seeing if the tie rod could fit above the knuckle for you.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
TheChubbyOutdoorsman
Bronco Info: 1994 F150 supercab 4x4 5.0l e4od getting a make over for going fast

Right on, I'm not totally sure what my end goal with the truck is yet, as I am on the east coast there's not a lot of go fast places to use it. So i figured an otk steering would be a good way to get rhe steering up and out of the way some, and less likely to have to use as big of a drop pitman arm for steering correction. That way if i take it on a trail i won't completely pulverize the steering but would still be functional to keep some travel numbers with the suspension
dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Post by dtbback »

it's called the tie rod end flip. There's a pretty extensive thread, regarding this on fullsizebronco.com. I have posted the link below.

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/23- ... -flip.html
TheChubbyOutdoorsman

AH,much appreciated, seems i may have just been calling it the wrong thing. I will have to check the link out.
dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Post by dtbback »

If you're going to build a bronco with swing steering, I'd say leave the tie rod in the original position. The bump steer in the original design will be solved by the swinger and the bend in the tie rods will not be as severe in the factory location.
TheChubbyOutdoorsman

I am proabably not going to include a swing steering setup, at least in this stage of the build. Maybe if i eventually get a full prerunner setup it will happen.