Tran/Engine/Steering Oil Coolers

JamesGrossaint
Bronco Info: 1996 Ford Bronco

Post by JamesGrossaint »

Daily Driver Bronco that will see Moderate/Heavy offroad and long trips.

So Question 1...
Is an engine oil cooler necessary?

Question 2
I don't want to spend $500 on a cooler with that in mind is Derale a good brand? Also would you run a filter?

I believe they recommend -6an fitting for transmission -8an for motor

They have 3 levels:
Good - Econo. $120
6 row plate and fin

Better - Atomic. $165
15 row Plate and fin

Best - Hyper. $250
25 row or 40 full aluminum cover stacked plate

Question 3

What style cooler for steering

Option A
Plate and Fine

Option B
Heat Sink Style

Question 4
Mounting locations?

I planned to mount behind the grill but open to suggestion is this blocks radiator flow.

Thank GFB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

For the Trans and engine a stacked plate style is the way to go. Get the largest trans cooler you can afford and can fit. For us guys in Baja and the Southern California deserts, we need as much cooling as we can get. In other cooler region's, you may not need as much. Now for the steering, I got one of the heat sink coolers for my steering, but I have yet to run it. I will be mounting it below my radiator behind the skid plate. I am hoping it will get some good air flow, I may have to dimple die holes in the top of the skid plate.

The issue with the first cooler above is you get cavitation in it, affecting the cooling ability of the cooler.

David...
JamesGrossaint

Post by JamesGrossaint »

Thanks David. I've built multiple pre runners and always ran coolers in the bed so I want to make sure I do it right the first time and have enough cooking.

JamesGrossaint

Post by JamesGrossaint »

Cooling*

Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

As for mounting, it depends on your build, if you have a stock engine compartment, engine cage or custom radiator core support.

On mine, I ran a B&M single 24 row stacked plate trans cooler with a pusher fan in front of the radiator and it worked, but would still run hot in deep silt on hot days.

My plan is to run dual all aluminum coolers with puller fan's behind the headlights on a custom radiator tube core support.

Then on the engine oil cooler, run a stacked plate Nascar style cooler directly below the radator and the same width as the radiator.

Similar to this one...

David...
JamesGrossaint

Post by JamesGrossaint »

Stock engine compartment, I think I'll try to squeeze an oil cooler on either side behind the grille and a steering cooler below the radiator.

What about the engine? Any temp issues with the stock cooling system or should I run a cooler on that?

S00TLYFE
Bronco Info: None Anymore!

Re: Tran/Engine/Steering Oil Coolers

Post by S00TLYFE »

subbed because this is next up on my list as well
https://donttellmywiferacing.bigcartel.com/ (We have shirts, stickers, saginaw pumps, and other Bronco/OBS goodies)
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

Trans: I ran two big cooler in front between the grill and the AC condenser. One was a stock HD trailer package cooler and the other one was a B&M with a fan. Because I used the stock HD trailer radiator I never had any cooling issue for the motor. Both coolers were plate coolers with dense fins per inch. Lotsa fins are good for coolers.
PS: I ran a PS cooler from summit. It was a 4 pass tube cooler if I remember correctly. Mount was low on driver side in front of rad behind the grill behind the holes in the skid.
Motor oil: Just keep it stock with the cooler in the radiator hose
Bottom line is my successful setup was way overkill for any daily driver even with some trips to Baja. I ran this setup for 12 years and temps were always acceptable.
For someone that is going to do an occasional trip that may stress the system I would strongly recommend a trans temp gauge with the sender in the pan. I see cooked trans all the time and they all can be avoided if the driver changed his drive habits. All that is usually needed is to slow down and go to 4low and the temps immediately recede to normal values.
Other than the trans I would just forget about temp monitoring.
One more tip is be sure you keep all the stock rubber and stock fans shroud that controls the airflow into the radiator area - very important!
I ran the stock rad fan/clutch. Nothing better out there.
RyanDS650X
Bronco Info: Autofab '96 XLT 5.8

Post by RyanDS650X »

I run this in series with the factory tow cooler. The b&m has a built in 190* thermostat for the fan. I've only ever had the fan come on once. In 4hi uphill in a sandy wash 3rd gear rung out, it was over 100* out that day in AZ. I've also got a mag hytec pan that holds another 8 quarts. Every little bit helps.
Attachments
Screenshot_2017-03-15-09-54-31.png
Screenshot_2017-03-15-09-54-31.png (363.89 KiB) Viewed 786 times
'96 XLT 5.8l lil edelbrock, lil Autofab, LOTTA fun.

"I wouldnt even call adding beer as part of a prep...its like putting tires on the vehicle, you just do it."
-shockseals.com
cwrisley
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco..........

Post by cwrisley »

I also run a B&M SuperCooler. I had no stock cooler, so this was a much needed improvement. Trans runs at 180 all day even in the soft stuff. I mounted it between the grill and condenser for good airflow. No fan. Did a trans temp gauge while I was at it. Cooler was about $150 or so from Amazon.

JamesGrossaint

Post by JamesGrossaint »

Very good info guy, so take away so far is to keep my stock large cooler and add a fan unit along with a gauge.

No fancy radiators or electric fans

Tradition power steering cooler at least 4 pass.

Great info guys please keep it and pictures coming.

S00TLYFE

Post by S00TLYFE »

Will (DTTBACK) I'm pretty sure has just ran dual stock coolers with pretty good success. I had a lot of overheating problems with my power steering when I had a stock pump, none since i switched to Saginaw but I havent pushed the truck much since then as its been in pieces most of the time lol.
https://donttellmywiferacing.bigcartel.com/ (We have shirts, stickers, saginaw pumps, and other Bronco/OBS goodies)
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

I've got a small, stock cooler I'll make anyone a deal on if you want it. Might be good as a power steering cooler add on.
http://www.gofastbroncos.com/forum/view ... 11#p140811
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
S00TLYFE

Post by S00TLYFE »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:I've got a small, stock cooler I'll make anyone a deal on if you want it. Might be good as a power steering cooler add on.
http://www.gofastbroncos.com/forum/view ... 11#p140811
did you have this on craigslist a couple weeks back?
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

It's on there currently - I'm just lazy about updating my ads, but I just sold something so logging in now to update them.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects