96 351w Mild Build HELP

dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Re: 96 351w Mild Build HELP

Post by dtbback »

James,

This is the info you're looking for.

http://www.powerperformancenews.com/tec ... -packages/
RyanDS650X
Bronco Info: Autofab '96 XLT 5.8

Post by RyanDS650X »

JamesGrossaint wrote:Ryan,

Do you have the head part number? I know the intake is 3881.

On the cam guys mention it's a mustang cam and changed rpm higher. Is there another option maybe or is this the go to for most?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Edelbrock 60379 are the head

E303 cam is making power above 3k and I drive in 3rd gear between 3-5k when I'm in the dirt. If I were you I would call Comp directly and tell them what parts you have and how you intend to use the truck. That 10 minute conv will do a lot.
'96 XLT 5.8l lil edelbrock, lil Autofab, LOTTA fun.

"I wouldnt even call adding beer as part of a prep...its like putting tires on the vehicle, you just do it."
-shockseals.com
DMbronco
Bronco Info: 96 XLT 351

Post by DMbronco »

RyanDS650X wrote:Ok well I have edelbrock heads, upper and lower intake manifolds and headers, with an e303 cam. SCT dyno tuned on 87 made 211hp 289ft lbs. I have great time with it and it's more than enough for what I do. All in my set up just in the hard parts is in the 3k range.

Yes I would do it again and yes I think it's worth the money. I've got a forged internally balanced eagle crank and Happy beam rods sitting on the shelf just waiting for my current motor to have the slightest hiccup and I'll put another 3k into my 408 build.
For me I always want my truck to get better and if I can do it 3k at a time, you bet you ass I'd do it over and over.

How bow dah??
Well put Ryan, and I agree completely. I think it is worth the money, especially if it's one of those "while you're in there" type circumstances.
I bet you can hear that stroker kit calling your name from time to time haha, Can't wait to see that next step.

James,

Couple things to consider

how much the E4OD can handle in stock form (get a Punisher Valve Body if you haven't yet)
Do you have to deal with Smogging the truck?
Do you want to be able to run 87 and how much thirstier do you want it to be?

I put together a package that would save you a few hundred bucks and get you near the same ballpark as what Ryan and Will described.

I run GT40 heads out of a '93 Cobra,stock cam, the same Edelbrock Performer intake package as Ryan, bassani headers, custom Y-Pipe built by RPM, and a 56mm BBK throttle body.

Truck made 206 horses and 282 ft/lbs of torque at the rear wheels.

Tuning it was key: Powertrain Dynamics put the power where it needed to be by programming new shiftpoints and that drastically improved performance.
Steve is the man.

87 octane, and my last trip to the desert netted me 9.8 MPG on a tank split 65/35 pavement to dirt.

I am very happy with the results, and would do it again in a heartbeat. Notable increase in power, and no loss in fuel economy.

I
dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Post by dtbback »

DMbronco wrote:
RyanDS650X wrote:Ok well I have edelbrock heads, upper and lower intake manifolds and headers, with an e303 cam. SCT dyno tuned on 87 made 211hp 289ft lbs. I have great time with it and it's more than enough for what I do. All in my set up just in the hard parts is in the 3k range.

Yes I would do it again and yes I think it's worth the money. I've got a forged internally balanced eagle crank and Happy beam rods sitting on the shelf just waiting for my current motor to have the slightest hiccup and I'll put another 3k into my 408 build.
For me I always want my truck to get better and if I can do it 3k at a time, you bet you ass I'd do it over and over.

How bow dah??
Well put Ryan, and I agree completely. I think it is worth the money, especially if it's one of those "while you're in there" type circumstances.
I bet you can hear that stroker kit calling your name from time to time haha, Can't wait to see that next step.

James,

Couple things to consider

how much the E4OD can handle in stock form (get a Punisher Valve Body if you haven't yet)
Do you have to deal with Smogging the truck?
Do you want to be able to run 87 and how much thirstier do you want it to be?

I put together a package that would save you a few hundred bucks and get you near the same ballpark as what Ryan and Will described.

I run GT40 heads out of a '93 Cobra,stock cam, the same Edelbrock Performer intake package as Ryan, bassani headers, custom Y-Pipe built by RPM, and a 56mm BBK throttle body.

Truck made 206 horses and 282 ft/lbs of torque at the rear wheels.

Tuning it was key: Powertrain Dynamics put the power where it needed to be by programming new shiftpoints and that drastically improved performance.
Steve is the man.

87 octane, and my last trip to the desert netted me 9.8 MPG on a tank split 65/35 pavement to dirt.

I am very happy with the results, and would do it again in a heartbeat. Notable increase in power, and no loss in fuel economy.

I
I believe that closes the debate in this subject. Bray, when are when getting more updates?
DMbronco

Post by DMbronco »

Hey Will!

Debate is wide open! That's the best part of this forum- such a difference in scale from build to build.

Next, we've gotta hear from Cartman about the LS....sounds like that is really working well and making plenty of power.

Then Josh has to come in here and confess his Stroker plans so we can all feel the envy lol.

Progress on mine continues at Richer- CHO is waiting on the billet ends for the beams and getting the steering going in the meantime.
I'll get some updates early next week
LvSteve
Bronco Info: 1995 XLT Sport. 96 427w e4od obd II system........ SOLD IT

Post by LvSteve »

Best person at Comp Cams to talk with is James Fry

Leave a message he calls back
VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

I'd rather graft a TTB into a chevy then ever put a LS in but I'm a weird purist. I do think the LS is an incredible plateform.
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
AussieRod
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.

Post by AussieRod »

Mustang HO roller cam
1.7:1 bolt-on rockers
Edelbrock Intake
STOCK TB
Any GOOD quality shorty headers and a custom-made Y pipe and hi flow cat. (Keep the stock Y pipe for smog as required).
K&N intake with K&N filter in the stock airbox. (Cone filter changes the way the AFM reads airflow unless it is re-calibrated).

The stock TB outflows the stock intake manifold, and will work fine with the Edelbrock manifold. HO cam will retain smog but give more mid-range TORQUE. Most of your gains with these parts will be from the exhaust and less restrictive intake (you'll see the difference side by side.) Use synthetic oils in ALL the places you can ie: engine diffs, etc. Leave the heads alone, unless you want seriously MORE power.
Just my $0.02.
JamesGrossaint
Bronco Info: 1996 Ford Bronco

96 351w Mild Build HELP

Post by JamesGrossaint »

Bray, thank you that seems like a realistic setup vs power gained. I have a smog guy and will used Steve because he has done all my friends truck.

Punisher is on order.

JamesGrossaint

96 351w Mild Build HELP

Post by JamesGrossaint »

What do you guys think about these? Already gone through machined for 1/2 holes and pricing seems reasonable?

AussieRod
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.

Post by AussieRod »

Are those GT40 or GTP? Plug angle is different on the GTP's, most headers won't fit.
JamesGrossaint

96 351w Mild Build HELP

Post by JamesGrossaint »

GT40 note the code F3ZE from what I have read these are what I need.

toddz69

Post by toddz69 »

Those are 40s, The Ps have 4 bars on the head.

Todd Z.
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

On a friends Full Stock race truck he ran the GT40 3 bar heads with a 408 short block that
Was pulling in the 425hp range with around 400 fp torque on Pemex pump gas. Solid motor. That is the blue print for my motor build. The short block is about $3000 with shipping and $600 with rebuilt GT40 3 bar heads. With all the little stuff, I should be in it for $4500.

David...
hollandermotorsports
Bronco Info: 1990 Bronco lifted, 1995 Centurian F-150 with body lift delete

Post by hollandermotorsports »

I miss my mild 351w with gt40 heads, 303 cam, edelbrock intake and stuff. It had great power. Tuning is key. The mods are worth nothing if you are not willing to spend some dough on the dyno time. Thats one of the biggest improvements.
JamesGrossaint

96 351w Mild Build HELP

Post by JamesGrossaint »

Thanks for the info guys

Brandon or Bray are those the right heads?

Plan is go through the motor with new seals and accessories, flowkool water pump, heads, e303 cam and edelbrock intake.

DMbronco

Post by DMbronco »

JamesGrossaint wrote:Thanks for the info guys

Brandon or Bray are those the right heads?

Plan is go through the motor with new seals and accessories, flowkool water pump, heads, e303 cam and edelbrock intake.

These are what you're looking for:

1993-95 Mustang Cobra
Part #F3ZE or #F4ZE

Good info here on differences between GT40 (what you want) and GT40P

http://www.fiveohinfo.com/performance/gt40-gt40p.html
RyanDS650X
Bronco Info: Autofab '96 XLT 5.8

Post by RyanDS650X »

Out of curiosity to the guys with 56mm throttle bodies, why not go to the 61mm? No real price difference.
'96 XLT 5.8l lil edelbrock, lil Autofab, LOTTA fun.

"I wouldnt even call adding beer as part of a prep...its like putting tires on the vehicle, you just do it."
-shockseals.com
dtbback

Post by dtbback »

I've read that the 61mm is meant for the 7.5L.
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

dtbback wrote:There are plenty of EB guys who have mildly uilt 351w. My plan is to do a top end upgrade, until I can build a bulletproof E4OD.

Here's my list:

56mm BBK
Edelbrock Intake
TrickFlow 170 Twisted wedge heads
Bassani Headers
Crane Cams # 444212

Then dynotuned by Powertrain Dynamics in Huntington Beach.
Steve at power train spec'd my build and we just finished up the dyno tuning today. Steve@ power train specd the motor, Greg Hall built the motor, Dougans balanced it, power train dynamics tuned it.

363ft-lbs to the wheels was the results, E4OD with all big internals, 4.56 gears, 35" tires

AFR 165 Heads, 264-8 comp cam, 30lb injectors, 408 rotating assembly, aeromotive regulator, 255lph pump, stock 5.8 intake, stock 5.8 TB, stock maf, 80 series land cruiser air filter assembly, JBA headers, bassani customized y pipe, biggest magnaflow round muff I could find, sct tuner with 5 position switch steve tuned 2 of the 5 for me specifically.

with that said...its a stump puller to 4500rpms, roast the tires off from a start, etc...as I figured, the stock intake is plenty good for a torque monster that doesnt need to go past 4500 RPM's. We use these things in the 2-3k range....the stock intake set up flows plenty good for torque which is what you want, especially if on a budget.

The air filter assembly was giving the mass air a false sense of volume/flow so when stabbed WOT it was fat for a short period and that table was tweaked accordingly...with a different air filter exit(elbow)/MAF inlet we could do better BUT it is bitchen as is and changing that would require another tune/dyno session and some fabrication and I am very happy with results so no need to bother.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com