Front Hubs

hollandermotorsports
Bronco Info: 1990 Bronco lifted, 1995 Centurian F-150 with body lift delete

Front Hubs

Post by hollandermotorsports »

We have been getting a lot of request for aluminum front hubs with our big brake, knuckle packages. With that said as many know my team and I love a good challenge. So for a while now we have been feed the hampster and tinkering with a 4x4 billet 7075 hub idea that would be a hub centric set up as well. It would use a standard off the shelf warn or yukon or any other wheel lock for that matter. This would be a hub you could put on any d44 ttb knuckle set up. I want a set for my 2 vehicles making a couple is not too bad just a lot of machine time so the cost is up there but I wanted to see what kind of interest there would be if we did a run or if there is enough then I will look into tooling up to manufacture more than 10 (sets). We have a larger set up in the works as well but That will require our Knuckle for the swap. Also this set up would have our big brake pattern integrated. Our price point we are shooting for would be roughly $2k-$2500 pr. But that can fluctuate drastically either direction depending on the quantity I order because of set up time and material. Give me thoughts good or bad.
BDKW1
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!

Re: Front Hubs

Post by BDKW1 »

Cut your material cost's in half and go 6061. Good enough for 99% of the market.
hollandermotorsports

Yes I understand that but we are relying on engagement of the aluminum via broaching. I would say that most would be fine with 6061 but all it takes is 1 failure. People are building broncos bigger everyday. I remember when 35s were big on a bronco and I know someone building a new build on the new 40" bfg race tire. We may look into a hard anodized set of 6061 to proto and run on my bronco at Norra for testing and see how that does. You may be totally correct as far as 7075 is overkill.
PaleRider
Bronco Info: 1994 Bronco with aftermarket lift, BroncoAir bumpers

Front Hubs

Post by PaleRider »

What's the weight savings when comparing stock steel to aluminum 7075? What other advantages are there when making the switch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hollandermotorsports

PaleRider wrote:What's the weight savings when comparing stock steel to aluminum 7075? What other advantages are there when making the switch?
1 advantage is hub centric, weight will be a little lighter with Aluminum I would bet a stock hub brake combo is the same weight as aluminum hub with 14" rotor or real close to it. Another advantage is 1 piece hub and rotor adapter. But the main reason we get asked for it is because guys like the race look. Cone makes a press on hub centric deal that provides looks cool but it is an inch or so short of the hub end. If you spend $100k building a bronco guys question the stock hub option right now even though it has been used for a long time. I personally do not see an issue with the stock hub but I would really like hub centric though.
PaleRider
Bronco Info: 1994 Bronco with aftermarket lift, BroncoAir bumpers

Front Hubs

Post by PaleRider »

I'm interested.

Andy Jones
Bronco Info: In the Works!

Front Hubs

Post by Andy Jones »

I'd like to see what you come up with . I've been wanting a hub centric front hub for awhile.

BDKW1

Post by BDKW1 »

The shitty pot metal hub will strip out long before the splines in a 6061 hub. Look at how much spline there is engaged inside the hub when locked and you will see why it is a non-issue. Trust Me, I have made them out of both and have had no failures with either material. Hubs on the other hand, if you really wanted to make an improved part, they would top of the list.

Weight savings will be minimal when you add in the hubcentric and rotor flange.
arse_sidewards
Bronco Info: 94 F150, 133"+8ft, 4x4, 4.9, E4OD, lots of rust

Post by arse_sidewards »

BDKW1 wrote: Hubs on the other hand, if you really wanted to make an improved part, they would top of the list.
Easy, $10 junkyard drive slugs. Then add $1k of CV axle shafts when you get tired of all the extra NVH.
'94 F150, 4.9L, lockers at both ends
BDKW1

Post by BDKW1 »

arse_sidewards wrote:Easy, $10 junkyard drive slugs.
Not really practical if you plan on driving on the street.
arse_sidewards
Bronco Info: 94 F150, 133"+8ft, 4x4, 4.9, E4OD, lots of rust

Post by arse_sidewards »

BDKW1 wrote:
arse_sidewards wrote:Easy, $10 junkyard drive slugs.
Not really practical if you plan on driving on the street.
I'm doing it and it's not bad. I don't have RCV shafts either.
'94 F150, 4.9L, lockers at both ends