Does anyone offer a plate kit?

welndmn
Bronco Info: I own a few.

Post by welndmn »

I was hoping to save some time by buying a pre cut out plate kit for a bronco TTB 44, but I can't find one.
I did talk to THREAT but they wanted $500 for a DIY plate kit.
I'm just looking to save some time by not making templates and cutting it out myself, but not at that price point.
damon1272

Re: Does anyone offer a plate kit?

Post by damon1272 »

Pay him for his work in already figuring it out. I am in the same boat. I buy stuff that is partially done or in kit form to save time. I am still saving money but I do pay more than if I did it myself. At time I may not be perfectly happy with the part as I would possibly do something different but that is the trade off. My life has flipped in that I used to have plenty of time but no money. Now I have money and no time. It is a better problem to have.
VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

$500 is insane man!
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
hollandermotorsports
Bronco Info: 1990 Bronco lifted, 1995 Centurian F-150 with body lift delete

Post by hollandermotorsports »

From someone who has spent time designing, building, selling, and hundreds of thousands buying stuff I will give you my honest opinion. I spend atleast $250k a year ordering for our different businesses to get plate work water jetted, laser cut and formed. With that said for me to get 1 set of plates cut for roughly same amount of cut time and material thickness out of 4130 it would be roughly $400-$500 now that's qty 1. If I order 100 maybe it would only be $150 but that would be me ordering 99 more then I needed so it would sit on a shelf and I would put the money up for it take money out of the bank. Now think about this to make all of those templates will take you say 3+ hr correct plus then go buy a minimum order sheet of moly to cut them out of somewhere around $300+ and you can band saw or cut with abrasive or plasma if you have one which will be another hr+ or so if you are quick so now you are 4 hours plus $300 into it maybe $500 isn't so bad. Now anyone who does production has to invest into drawing into cad so that they can order same parts over and over. A lot of people are quick to say "oh man this is expensive and stuff" but at the end of the day what is your time worth and price material and equipment. Not trying to bash but I know fabrication both both sides customer and shop owner. People ask why I take my bronco to RIcher Racing, CHO and also buy parts from Solo and other shops instead of building them in house. Because there are guys like above mentioned that specialize in certain components and I cannot build for what I can buy for so it makes sense to me and I have a trusting relationship with these guys. So for me if I was in the hunt for plate kit I would call around and see who could do the best cash deal and then buy it. Cash is King and always will be.

Another issue you may run into that the pros take care of via fixtures and stuff is warping. This is just my .02 and trying to help people understand the cost of this stuff. I am a person that will NOT sell WIY kits because there is way to much liability for me and not worth the gamble. If someone doesn't want to sell a kit or you feel the price is high maybe this will give some insight.
welndmn
Bronco Info: I own a few.

Post by welndmn »

Everyone is entitled to be paid for their money.
geez, touchy subject.

I don't think the plate kits are made from 4130, welding co-mo back to mild steel kina defets the purpose co-mo, IMO.
All the work in a plate kit is the welding it in, I see that as a 5-8 hour job. It seems like a good idea to sell a DIY option.
Deslboy
Bronco Info: 1993 XLT 351. Currently being built. Solo c&t beams, solo radius arms, solo shock hoops

Post by Deslboy »

call Geoff at Giant Motorsports. He will sell you the plates for your beams.
Seabass
Bronco Info: 96 bronco

Post by Seabass »

How much would you guys be willing to pay for a weld it yourself plate kit?
Tchajagos
Bronco Info: 1993 xlt stock on 33' BFGs

Post by Tchajagos »

I asked this exact question to Hollander a few months ago. He said that if you don't have a fixture for your beams they will warp when you weld on that much stuff.
Travisfab
Bronco Info: 95 XLT 5.8 C6 Prerunner

Post by Travisfab »

Made templates with cardboard, cut them by hand with a grinder & welded them on. No issues at all!
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Also note most cutters (lazer/water/plasma) can take a cardboard template & trace into cad pretty instantly on their setups. May be well worth your time calling a plasma cutter or 2 to cut off cardboard templates you cut. No cad needed.

Time is money & I too have less time than money currently. I still would do something like this myself though as $500 seems a bit steep for the plates (and yes I have designed and sold parts before as well)
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects