78/79 go a little bit fast front suspension ???'s

Berne
Bronco Info: junk and tube

78/79 go a little bit fast front suspension ???'s

Post by Berne »

Older Ford solid axle go-fast front suspension tech, while not rocket science....seems to be kinda few and far between.

:warning: this may get a little long-winded...

So, I'm in the planning stages of a new project, a 78/79 for 'general purpose' all-around wheelin' use, w/ somewhat of a slant to going fast and bumping around the desert.
I'd like to keep it as simple as possible, but at the same time, it needs to work...

the truck I'm picking up is a basket case, but has alot of parts that come with it. It also has a small block already swapped into it....and...contrary to all the rest of the broncos I've had, I'm thinking I'm going to keep it that way, and plan to make the nose of the truck as light as I can....and see what I can get away with.

so, first question...front springs..
I want to keep the truck as low as I can get away with, something I try to do w/ everything I build...
This truck is going to run 37's for the time being (as, well, it comes w/ a set of them).
I'm thinking I want to try to get away with 3"-4" of 'lift'.....which, from ride height should set me w/ 6-7" of bump......
so, does any body know which/if any "lift springs" out there in that range of height have a block height that will allow full bump w/ the stock spring bucket? I know some of them will coil bind w/o some sort of dropped bump stop.
I was kinda thinking w/ this rig I might be able to get away w/ a spring rate a little on the soft side (with the idea of making the nose as light as possible)....and run more valving in the shocks to get away with it.

going coil-over is not out of the question, but, if I could get away w/ a early bronco coil spring, I think I'd rather do that. The truck will probably wind up w/ a 2.5" shock (prolly FOA's, maybe not the best, but priced right, I've had good luck with them in the past, and Chris is a great guy to work with)....and very likely get air bumps as well....for a little insurance...I forsee this truck getting loaned out from time to time.

Anyone have suggestions for front coils?

Truck also comes w/ a set of James Duff radius arms. I have zero experience w/ these. I was going to just build some myself, but, if these will take the abuse, it'll save me some time. Anybody have any hard miles on them?

we'll leave it at that for now....

--B
Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.

Re: 78/79 go a little bit fast front suspension ???'s

Post by 300 »

Both National and Deaver should be able to set you up, although the Nationals that we got ended up being about 8" lift over what we started with when we put them in. The originals were really sagged out, and the truck was not fully bolted back together (light) so it REALLY sat high to start out with. Raced it with those for quite a while, no coil bind. Wild Horses also had some progressive springs that were the right ride height we wanted, but since they were for an EB, they were not a high enough rate for our shock setup and really pounded out the bump stops.
Dust
Bronco Info: Go Slow Ford's From 1957 to 1994

Post by Dust »

having run just about every color painted spring all likely stiffer then you are looking for (~500#) the best off the shelf are Ford 2WD springs I believe out of a van of the same era. Basically the same as what is in the white and yellow 79 Bronco sitting outside on 37's...
Attachments
426 018.jpg
426 018.jpg (286.52 KiB) Viewed 1932 times
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

Berne wrote:Older Ford solid axle go-fast front suspension tech, while not rocket science....seems to be kinda few and far between.

:--B
=========
Not rcoket science but not very common - meaning not much help.
Study the Moss Bronco for an all leaf setup.
Study the ATK Jeep for an all C/O setup. Normally we don't talk lift , but just travel. It will be easier with 35s and maybe better and cost less?
IMO, All C/O will give the best result in the long run and be easier to fine tune and cost a lot more with the links and all.
PW
I love older, but it is not always better or less costly.
Berne

Post by Berne »

Berne wrote:
Truck also comes w/ a set of James Duff radius arms. I have zero experience w/ these. I was going to just build some myself, but, if these will take the abuse, it'll save me some time. Anybody have any hard miles on them?

--B

bringing this back up...

should I trust these Duff arms? They're certainly heavy, and look reasonably built...

but they're still bent for tire clearance. I'm not sure I trust them not to buckle right at the bend if I nose into something a little hot....

thoughts/experience??

--B
Dust

Post by Dust »

Delete Dbl Post
Last edited by Dust on Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dust

Post by Dust »

Supposedly the origin for the Cage arms.
Can not address the Bronco specifically but the Duff arms on the Ranger have taken several hits w/o problem.
Now if the tires didn't rub on them, and if Duff hadn't FU the rest of the geometry...
But Autofab has bolt on solutions.
I'm just going to build RA's for the Yellow and Blue, hopefully in Aug.

Ya no help :lol:
Berne

Post by Berne »

its these ones.....

--B
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

Ya no help. Just ignorre my comment.

Just rock crawler junk. Used because it does not matter when going slow and getting to the rocks on a trailer.
PW
=================
Dust wrote:Supposedly the origin for the Cage arms.
Can not address the Bronco specifically but the Duff arms on the Ranger have taken several hits w/o problem.
Now if the tires didn't rub on them, and if Duff hadn't FU the rest of the geometry...

Dust

Post by Dust »

PaulW wrote:Ya no help. Just ignorre my comment.

Just rock crawler junk. Used because it does not matter when going slow and getting to the rocks on a trailer.
PW
=================

?
Berne

Post by Berne »

PaulW wrote:
PW

spoken like someone who's never really been rock crawling!

though, these may be up for sale in a while....

on that note.....Stock 70's radius arms....are they steel?..nicely weldable?
Moss, how'd you guys make yours? Just cut the I-beam section of and weld right to the "C-bushing" part? You guys still run the "C"-bushings??

--B
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

Berne wrote:
PaulW wrote:
PW
spoken like someone who's never really been rock crawling!
================
I have done my share and I have plenty of friends that have raco crawlers to give me the data.
I have a new build that should work fine on the rocks at Farmington. Not built with parts bought form the vendors. I probably will break it like I did with the Jeep. Sigh.
PW
toddz69

Post by toddz69 »

Jim Cole designed those arms when he worked for Duff. He took the design with him, and improved it a bit, when he started Cage.

Todd Z.
Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.

Post by 300 »

No matter how tough they are, if you hit something big enough, something is either going to bend or break. Pick what you want to replace. Last year was the first one I bent and it also broke the frame at the same time. The truck almost endoed, it was a BIG hit. Mine are from WCB and use stock C sections. The stock arms are forged and are weldable.