Rear Leaf Springs

shockseals.com

Re: Rear Leaf Springs

Post by shockseals.com »

baja-chris wrote:I have progressive wound Eibachs on my 3" Kusters on the front of the bronco and they are still holding up fine. Before they were on my bronco they were on my 8 truck and they came with the 8 truck when I got it so who knows how many race miles were on them before that. They have not sagged a bit in years.

Back to leafs. I do believe that eliminating reverse arch is the key to longevity. I might drop my bumps stops an inch or two.
Eibachs are most often designed to go solid and ahve infinite life.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

What I am needing iis about a 3" lift out of my rear end on the stock springs. Of course I need a set of rear springs but those are on the back burner at this point. If I do the "leap-frog" trick and drop the rear leafs by say 3"-- will that 3" drop of the rear leaf hanger net a 3" drop?? Has anyone done this?

I absolutely love the Kel Fab drops-- for $225 if I can use his drop brackets and get the lift I need for the rear I would like to put some longer shackles and some J40 springs. Most importantly is getting the lift out of it for the time being before I go the leaf spring route.
BDKW1
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!

Post by BDKW1 »

VintageIronFab wrote:What I am needing iis about a 3" lift out of my rear end on the stock springs.
If you want to go the total cheapy route, I just took a ad-a-leaf out of My F250 pack. Just replace the second leaf in your stock pack with this one, should be good for about 2" of lift and a slightly stiffer rate. Really cheap if you pick it up.
Silverslk
Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Baur Bronco......GONE to a better home

Post by Silverslk »

I have a Deaver built "Prerunner pack" they built using a stock Bronco main leaf as the base. They say it should be good for at least a couple inches in height. It sits same as my 2" add a leaf did with WAY better manners.... I'll be selling it REAL soon if your interested... $200
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

Silverslk wrote:I have a Deaver built "Prerunner pack" they built using a stock Bronco main leaf as the base. They say it should be good for at least a couple inches in height. It sits same as my 2" add a leaf did with WAY better manners.... I'll be selling it REAL soon if your interested... $200
Cant believe you are selling that, and for $200 Steal!!
Travisfab
Bronco Info: 95 XLT 5.8 C6 Prerunner

Post by Travisfab »

VintageIronFab wrote:What I am needing iis about a 3" lift out of my rear end on the stock springs. Of course I need a set of rear springs but those are on the back burner at this point. If I do the "leap-frog" trick and drop the rear leafs by say 3"-- will that 3" drop of the rear leaf hanger net a 3" drop?? Has anyone done this?

Interested in some f64's?
VintageIronFab

Post by VintageIronFab »

Well here is the deal-- I am interested in the Prerunner pack as well as the F64's --shoot me a shipped to 85390 and when you all can ship. Here is the deal-- I am taking my project to the Parker 425 to see the race -- after that I have to get ready to move to North Dakota-- timing is of the essence and its 10 days 22 hours and 20 minutes til Jan 31st at 2pm to shake her down!
Seabass
Bronco Info: 96 bronco

Post by Seabass »

Are any of you guys using the factory pinion angle wedge still? Or is it an absolute must to cut the perches off and clock the housing for the right angles? Gotta measure how far I'm off with the j40s but it looks like a lot...
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

I ran the factory wedge for about a year with f53s. Then they cracked.
Seabass

Post by Seabass »

Thanks Tony!
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

When I bought my used bronco and took the springs off the wedged were broken and ready to fall off. That bronco was driven by the wife of a rancher and never saw any bad roads.
Seabass

Post by Seabass »

Thanks Paul.

Measured using a digital protractor today for proper pinion angle and I'm at 21* difference between the casting rib on the 8.8 and the d-shaft angle. Thats using used j40's and southwest shackles. Looks like new perches are the only way to go safely.

Factory wedges are 7* and 3/4" tall if anyone ever needs to know.
VintageIronFab

Post by VintageIronFab »

Yea I went through this as well-- get the perches and just do the work -- about 2 hours per side is all it takes
biggiek
Bronco Info: 92 Ford Bronco

Post by biggiek »

Polarcub wrote:The factory wedges are sufficent but if you want to get rid of them (glad I did) you have a couple of choices to find your angle. The first is use an angle finder, to red your existing angle and estimate your desired angle. Or if you have a lift at your disposal when you cut the old perches off reinstall the new perches and springs un welded this will allow your diff to rotate as you set the rear down....tac the perches in place and then remove the springs again and weld it up.

As far as travel I was seeing about 14" (never really measured) with the F64 no shackles) with the J40 with shackles I am around the 16" area now my shocks are the limiting factor, I droop out further than the shock. The way I am set up though I am very happy
Ok I just got a pair of J40's from here and found a set of Camburg shackles for a steal. My spring perches were welded to the axle for the 2.5-3 inch AAL style lift. Can I run the shackles and springs without greatly changing the pinion angle? I get the impression of yes but see there are answers all over the board.
Polarcub
Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........

Post by Polarcub »

Yes you will need to adjust the angle, ditch the factory wedge and redo the perches. Sorry this is such a late response.
Jeremy