Extended bronco

agavelouis
The Champ
Bronco Info: 1994 5.0 Bronco. Solo Motorsports all the way around

Re: Extended bronco

Post by agavelouis »

We go to Mexico a few times a year. That being said the guys in my group have buggies or trucks capable of higher speeds in the rough stuff. I've got about 35k in the bronco now and thought well what's next. I have Patton racing going to do the motor soon. I still feel I'm not getting the ride I should out of the bronco. I've had the shocks off 3-4 times now and have changed the valving. Bilstien doesn't offer a tuning session like the shock manufacturing company's. I've never had a vehicle of this caliber before so I'm a little unsure of just how it should preform. It rides like shit in the little chatter until I air down to about 10-14 psi I'm running grabber tires that are D rated which could have something todo with it. So I'm reaching for more. I do have a little at home still so I don't really want to take everything inside the cab just yet. Example four link. I don't really have a budget so I guess I'm just looking for alternatives besides buying a luxury per runner. No lotto money yet or becoming an Indian. Lol
Judging by the handling issues you say you are having, wheelbase is not going to fix it.

Chatter being helped by low tire psi is shock setup for sure. Sounds like wayyyy too much initial valving. You said you have Bilsteins, which ones? I'm new here, and haven't seen your Bronco yet.

Our full built prerunner Bronco is standard wheelbase + - an inch. It is 4 linked with a coil-over and bypass + bumpstop at each corner. It has preran Mexico 4-6 times a year since 2000 when it was completed. It will take every inch of the Baja 1000 course with ease, but the San Felipe whoops are about a 45-50mph venture even with 3 link rear. They are deep, far apart and shitty. If you are still leaf sprung in the back stretching the Bronc isn't going net you much at all. If you are linked, then stretching will help a little.
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

The truck doesn't have to go to Bilstein to be tuned. Lots of guys in the socal area can tune those shocks. DC Shock Services & Mirage Racing are two off the top of my head. Paying for pro tuning is more than worth it. The difference between a slow unsafe truck and a fast prerunner is just a few shims in a shock.
Drew
Bronco Info: Just picked up a 95 bronco stock. Ready to make it go fast....lol

Post by Drew »

I've had them off several times. And taken them to Bilstien for the valving. First time the inside of the shocks where full of foreign material. Was gritty like sand. It's got four tube bypass up front with a coil and a bump. Four over beams. Bilstien had the coil overs fully valve. I've had them take all the valving out. And I've been playing with spring rates. Currently they are 350/500 and has helped. I've never had a vehicle with this much suspension. So knowing were it should be or how it should preform no idea. I drive pretty aggressive for having this much suspension it should ride like a marshmallow.
Drew

Post by Drew »

Here is some pics of the fluid not good. Found a shredder valve buried in the valving. Image
Drew

Post by Drew »

Drew

Post by Drew »

BDKW1
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!

Post by BDKW1 »

Wow, that's pretty ugly. Who did the shocks last time?
Drew

Post by Drew »

Lol drove to Bilstien three times. I need to take them apart to check them again.
Drew

Post by Drew »

philofab wrote:The truck doesn't have to go to Bilstein to be tuned. Lots of guys in the socal area can tune those shocks. DC Shock Services & Mirage Racing are two off the top of my head. Paying for pro tuning is more than worth it. The difference between a slow unsafe truck and a fast prerunner is just a few shims in a shock.
I need to see who can take the time to help. If they do do a tuning session I'm in.
Drew

Post by Drew »

Had I known the Bilstien didn't offer any tuning help I would have gone a different way. The only reason I went Bilstien was because that's who South West had suggested to go with.
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

Drew, I'm with Philo.....head to Mirage in San Diego or Shockseals in San Dimas.......you don't have to go directly to Bilstein for tuning.
Drew

Post by Drew »

Will do. I'll have to wait till Patton finishes the motor next month.
agavelouis
The Champ
Bronco Info: 1994 5.0 Bronco. Solo Motorsports all the way around

Post by agavelouis »

YIKES! Those look gnarly inside.

My opinion is that a shock is only as good as you make it. In all of our race cars, testing is mandatory. Between 2008-2010 in my Trophylite we raced maybe a total of 1800 miles. I probably put another 800-1000 of hard 100% all out testing on my shocks and components to make sure they were up to snuff. From 2008-2010 we won 3 championships and over 15 races due the fact that nobody could keep up in the rough. We had the same Fox shocks that everyone else had, but we chose to do all of our own valving and spring rates which meant a lot of time in the desert.

Bilsteins are tuneable, and can work just fine but they just are not as popular. Kritter can do them up (ShockSeals) and you will be set. I would really like to see what was coming apart inside those bad boys though, might be what your issue has been for a while.
Travisfab
Bronco Info: 95 XLT 5.8 C6 Prerunner

Post by Travisfab »

Down South Motorsports is a great shock tuner also. Lets get back to extended Broncos though!
drewbee88
Bronco Info: Rhonda the Bronco is her name, shredding dirt is her game.

Post by drewbee88 »

Travisfab wrote:Down South Motorsports is a great shock tuner also. Lets get back to extended Broncos though!
Exactly where's the pics of yours??? :-D
Travisfab
Bronco Info: 95 XLT 5.8 C6 Prerunner

Post by Travisfab »

drewbee88 wrote:
Travisfab wrote:Down South Motorsports is a great shock tuner also. Lets get back to extended Broncos though!
Exactly where's the pics of yours??? :-D
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

Any updates........
alpinejd3
Bronco Info: 1991 EB Prerunner

Post by alpinejd3 »

Any updates on this old thread?
1Hondalover
Bronco Info: Having so much fun with friends in Baja, we're not sure if we want to race NORRA.....

Post by 1Hondalover »

Well not quite an update but in the same realm.

Can anyone tell me how these old split window Supercabs are put together? Is it a single piece of glass with the outer body piece over the top making it look like two?

Or is it two separate pieces of glass?
F150 Supercab.JPG
F150 Supercab.JPG (64.18 KiB) Viewed 904 times
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

I'd love to know this too. I've always thought they were an outer piece that just made the same old window look like 2, but I've never gotten a close up look at one to verify.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects