chevy l.s. engine swap vs good old ford power

hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Re: chevy l.s. engine swap vs good old ford power

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

So then in part fords go into dodges. Also then Steve's Cummins really isn't a hermaphrodite.
Dust
Bronco Info: Go Slow Ford's From 1957 to 1994

Post by Dust »

damon1272 wrote:Ford owns a large part of cummins.
... and Cummins is everyone's bitch.
Dust

Post by Dust »

hobbyturnedobsession wrote:So then in part fords go into dodges. Also then Steve's Cummins really isn't a hermaphrodite.
no it is the diesel part that does that :lol:
I just have no use for a Deadcel
hobbyturnedobsession

I take it you dislike Cummins? Or just making an odd ball opinion?
Smart Alex
Bronco Info: 1991 351. lightweight special

Post by Smart Alex »

Clean Racing INC. wrote:
Silverslk wrote:Maybe Steve can post some of the LS swap links I sent him a year or two ago.... LS in a thunderbird.... Stuff like that shows it's not that hard. That's similar era ford electronics just no 4wd
Didn't you do the swap in the T-bird?? Or maybe it was another Andy..

I agree with a lot of you guys it sacrilege to put a chevy in a ford, but didn't the early hot rodders put dodge hemi's in Fords.. If the cost to build a reliable and powerful ford was not so expensive these swaps would not be even spoken of. Dollar for Dollar the ls swap makes sense if you do the labor yourself. I had the same dilema with my Jeep truck, spend 15K to build a bulletproof AMC 401 with injection or 6K for the complete LS swap. Ive swaped a 6.2 LS2 with 6L90E trans, and built Np241 in with Griffith radiator, all 3" stainless exhaust, Vintage air/Heat combo, and custom engine harness, with the vette tune in the E38 with 450 HP, and 416 LBFT tourque. And its drive by wire with cruise control. Its really a no brainer.
Alrite! What I like to hear! And no way you did all that with the vintage air for 6k!

So no big bad 400 ci ford for breathers to speak of?
hobbyturnedobsession

Ive heard 408 smog legal your looking somewhere in the vicinity of 12k if you have it done by someone. The computer the mad setup and more. The numbers to me weren't really substantial. Were talking about 310 HP give or take and 380-420 ft lbs. Granted everyone is different but that was dynod and tuned. Btw that was to the rear wheels. That's a lot of cash.
Smart Alex

Post by Smart Alex »

Yep that's coyote swap money bags right there
Smart Alex

Post by Smart Alex »

The only replacement for displacement is a turbo charger. Remember that folks. Lol I still don't think a turbo on a stock 351 is a bad idea which would be (for me) low boost (6-8 lbs) bigger injectors and some sorta piggyback engine managememt.. I think you would be real lucky for 300 wheel horse.

And of course andy already told me and I had to disagree with him was. " mike you would be h.p. wise on a boosted 351 where I would be stock with a L's. Lol
I had to tell andy its a ton of work to switch everything over. Now its not looking so bad.
Andy,

You're right, I'm wrong, you're smart, I'm dumb!
Silverslk
Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Baur Bronco......GONE to a better home

Post by Silverslk »

Smart Alex wrote: You're right, I'm wrong, you're smart, I'm dumb!

Funny... I have a text from you that ays that too!! hahaha

Clean Racing is a friend of mine Mike... He's got skills too... axles/gears, custom fab, wiring, etc.. he's got a friend in OC with a 5.3/6L80E in a Scout so we have locals to ask more info from if you want.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

damon1272 wrote:Ford owns a large part of cummins.
No they don't.

They used to own SOME cummins shares. No where near even 50% though.

So yeah, that's all a big rumor that continues to go around.

And I by no means think of the cummins as being a "dodge" motor as it's found in boats, generators, trucks, etc. etc.

I LOVE it when the idiots come out & get pissy about me putting a "dodge" motor in my Ford and I post up this picture:
Cummins - Ford tag.jpg
Cummins - Ford tag.jpg (123.96 KiB) Viewed 1243 times

The same cummins motor I'm putting in my truck also came in some of the F-750's and 850's.
The tag on my motor looks JUST like the pic above, except mine says "Dodge" where this one says Ford.
funinthesun95
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco MAF UsShift

Post by funinthesun95 »

I had this in my first bronco that was a daily driver/ toy..... But is a good cost comparison to all options. This is an estimate of what I spent…The paper works some place

Central Coast Mustang Crate 302 about 340hp (rated) for $2200.00 new
http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techar ... e_engines/
Edelbrock Victor Intake Manifold.. big Tb.. and 24lb injectors etc all the other little parts was about $800 or so both new and used parts
Vortech supercharger $2500 used but complete system 6lb of boost this added around 90ish HP/TQ
tune $300
I also had some random parts and fluid plugs...etc $450

bronco was on 33 inch tires with 4.10 gears 4 inch rancho lift and I was at 290 HP at the wheels 416 TQ. cost around $6250 give or take and that did not include the Tranny needing to be upgraded to handle the HP and TQ so add that cost depending on E40d AOD or c6 ( they said I was 426 at crank but who knows….

I will look for the dyno sheet but it was 9 years ago ...wow I m getting old
For me I have already spent money on the ford tranny so my wallet says stay with the 351w and a good gear number to find my sweet spot with HP/TQ. I also don’t have some of the same fab skills as some guys do on the forum. Time line and motor parts I already have comes into play for me as well…..I have been down to long as most of you guys know.
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Post by cs_drums »

My $.02...

Hands down I would rather stock 6.0 vs a wringed out 351w with the around the same number but as far as cost goes. Swaps alway cost more than anticipated. Much like truck build you can look at what you think one cost on paper but reality is the nickle and dime stuff you dont know you need adds up.

And there are always people they claimed the have done it for "X" amount but when I think of any project, how many times did I run to kragen, orw etc. for a few little things that add up too $100 here $50 there?

Then take into account of the devil, smog! Legal or illegal there is no cheap way around that.

If somebody does this, and i hope somebody does, it would be great is they kept track of every little dollar spent and posted it up.
Dust

Post by Dust »

Just a side note without bias to whatever engine.
I am working on a rig (a Ford) that may have to meet emissions and after this thread I started to wonder...
I called my Oregon State contact who said flatly:
“The replacement engine being installed in must be of the same make, model and year and/or newer with all original factory emissions devices present AND the engine must have been offered by the manufacturer in the vehicle.”
It totally sucks that it must pass the visual test, but more interestingly when they plug into the ECU on an EFI engine it must read the OEM Ford, GM, etc, ECU. Thus a factory EFI 351W is a go to replace a EFI 5.0L with a factory ECU because it was offered in the Bronco; maybe you can argue that a 460 came in a Ford Truck and a Bronco is a Ford truck not likely to win that though as the 460 was never offered in the Bronco. I asked if I can convert from SD to MAF using OEM parts and the answer was yes, even though the ECU would be not a ‘stock’ part it would be an OEM part.
In this rigs case I asked if an aftermarket EFI system (FAST, ATOMIC, etc) and its ECU would pass on the OEM engine and NOPE, not Factory Emissions certified AND the original Carburetor is considered as an Emissions Device and so can not be replaced with anything other then another OEM type Carb, so going from a Carb to EFI is technically out on a rig that will be emissions tested.
With this thread in mind I asked about dropping an LS into a 80-up Bronco and it is simple: “a GM engine was ever offered in a Ford” so it would fail the visual and the ECU, and it would fail if it was blowing butterflies out the tail pipe!
In a nutshell all of the above is my understanding of my states interpretation of federal law, per my source.
Somebody down there should see what CARB says.

Dust
Smart Alex

Post by Smart Alex »

Picked up a lq9 today with everything.
RyanDS650X
Bronco Info: Autofab '96 XLT 5.8

Post by RyanDS650X »

SWEEEEET!
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

LQ9s suck and it will never work. Give it to me.
Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Post by Rmc »

Smart Alex wrote:Picked up a lq9 today with everything.
We will drool as we see your tail lights disappear over the horizon.
Good luck on the swap, that thing should boogie once installed.
Smart Alex

Post by Smart Alex »

Philo, have you done research on doing some mods to this engine?
I have to pump it up some. And considering some boost (psi) down the road.
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Post by cs_drums »

Smart Alex wrote:Picked up a lq9 today with everything.
Awesome! keep the detail coming. What trans are you going to run?
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

Yea, lots of info on the LS1 Forum. Factory heads are great. Most guys swap to a LS1 style car intake, cam, and matching injectors over the truck stuff. All the power you want is available with a turbo. Lots of tech on that too.