chevy l.s. engine swap vs good old ford power

Scott_AZ
Bronco Info: 1988 XLT 5.0 TBD

Re: chevy l.s. engine swap vs good old ford power

Post by Scott_AZ »

black954 wrote:Are the autofab engine mounts solid or poly? I'm in a similar situation dropping an LS3 into my bronco and Don't really know if I should solid mount the trans and motor or use poly mounts. Looks like all the trophy trucks use engine plates but that's not really a good comparison.
They're poly like spring bushings. At first, I was like "I can build these!" But after doing the driver side, there's no way it would be worth the time:$ ratio. You could do a midplate and get away with the complexity of the normal bottom mounts. I've never run a midplate engine mount personally, but I'd want the front braced too. I've had a TH400 bellhousing rip clean off so I have this phobia about cast and mounting. I don't know...
black954
Bronco Info: 1981 Bronco Ranger

Post by black954 »

Thank you, that makes sense. I'm building a similar combo as you are and you've had some good ideas. I'm running an LS3 with a TH400 and Atlas II. The TH400 has a LS Super Bell housing so hopefully that eliminated the weak bellhousing. I think i'm going to go with similar poly motor mounts, poly trans mount, and then build a separate crossmember for the Atlas II with poly mounts. I'm kind of scared running a motor plate or mid plate with an aluminum block. Plus my long term plans are to add a 4.0L Whipple and doubling the HP which will increase the stress on the motor.
1981 Bronco Ranger
LS3/TH400/Atlas II
35" KM2/Raceline beadlocks
sand dunes build
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

I see more broken bellhousings in motor plate trucks than I do on regular trucks with rubber/poly motor mounts and trans mounts.

Most broken transmissions are from a broken crank, bent driveline, or broken flexplate.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
black954

Post by black954 »

That's good information there. I swapped out the OEM flexplate for a HD SFI Circle D flexplate to hopefully eliminate that weak link.
1981 Bronco Ranger
LS3/TH400/Atlas II
sand dunes build
XTate
Bronco Info: 95 Bronco stock not for long

Post by XTate »

We need photos of these LS builds, maybe a separate thread or sections just for LS real fast Broncos, the Fox body guys have been doing them for years, we need to catch up, it would be great to have all the info in one spot. Tate
Scott_AZ

Post by Scott_AZ »

Not really much to see yet in my opinion. You could imagine tearing out a 5.0 and trans - bare engine bay and some degreasing. Then I cut the old engine mounts out and bolted the new stuff in. Then I bench fired the engine to make sure it wasn't knocking or clacking. It'd been sitting (in good care) for around 6 or 7 years. I got the engine in the bay today. There's a bunch of personal BS in here, but it has some pics and stuff attached to the build. https://www.instagram.com/sonoranguy/

My TH400 broke from shortcourse abuse. I hucked it at about 80mph on the second jump on the front straight @ firebird. I don't know anything about midplates. They make sense when you're full tube chassis. How do the buggy dorks secure their engines? I remember sitting on the back of a schoolbus getting punted over speed bumps and train tracks as a kid, I'd guess an engine on the back of a class 1 gets punted pretty hard too!
black954

Post by black954 »

I'm kind of at the same point. Degreased engine bay, LS3 on a stand, still gathering last parts to put it in. Plus mines an 81' so I want to box my frame before I put the drivetrain in. I will start a build thread once I get back on it. I moved houses and am building a big garage currently. Once I get the electric run to the garage, I will be right back on the Bronco.
Attachments
IMG_1653.JPG
IMG_1653.JPG (707.94 KiB) Viewed 1074 times
IMG_1756.JPG
IMG_1756.JPG (690.82 KiB) Viewed 1074 times
IMG_1691.JPG
IMG_1691.JPG (789.28 KiB) Viewed 1074 times
IMG_1589.JPG
IMG_1589.JPG (974.12 KiB) Viewed 1074 times
1981 Bronco Ranger
LS3/TH400/Atlas II
sand dunes build
Tchajagos
Bronco Info: 1993 xlt stock on 33' BFGs

Post by Tchajagos »

Sweet! I have its twin here except it's an 82. I like the letters in the hood and the 81 grill better though. Not a fan of the holes in the frame on the 81 haha.
black954

Post by black954 »

wow, thats crazy lol. I do like the front end best on the 80-86 years and the FORD letters. It's a shame I am forced to swap to the 92-96 front end to get glass wide enough for what i'm doing.
1981 Bronco Ranger
LS3/TH400/Atlas II
sand dunes build
BajaBronco13
Bronco Broker
Bronco Info: Bronco AKA The Silver Bullet

Post by BajaBronco13 »

black954,

Autofab sells a set of 1980-86 3.5" wider fiberglass fenders. No need to move to 92-96 if you don't want to.

Chris
Tchajagos
Bronco Info: 1993 xlt stock on 33' BFGs

Post by Tchajagos »

black954 wrote:wow, thats crazy lol. I do like the front end best on the 80-86 years and the FORD letters. It's a shame I am forced to swap to the 92-96 front end to get glass wide enough for what i'm doing.
Where are you located? Want to sell the hood/grill?
black954

Post by black954 »

I'm in Chicago, IL I would totally sell the whole front end but I dont think anyone would want to pay shipping
1981 Bronco Ranger
LS3/TH400/Atlas II
sand dunes build
black954

Post by black954 »

BajaBronco13 wrote:black954,

Autofab sells a set of 1980-86 3.5" wider fiberglass fenders. No need to move to 92-96 if you don't want to.

Chris
I did see those as an option. I'm just not sold on the look of them yet. I will be running a full soft top too so i'm kind of concerned with how it will all look together when it's all done. When I get closer to body work, I will look into them much better. Good advise, thank you
1981 Bronco Ranger
LS3/TH400/Atlas II
sand dunes build
XTate
Bronco Info: 95 Bronco stock not for long

Post by XTate »

God that atlas looks sweet. Why did you go with the 400 vs 4L80? Tate
black954

Post by black954 »

Mostly cost reasons. I have only $2200 into a 1500HP rated TH400 and the 4L80 would have been more then double that. Plus the torque converters are cheaper. If my Bronco was going to do a lot of street driving I would have gone with the OD, but I'm building it for 80% dunes and 20% cruising and car shows. I think my build differs a lot from the normal trucks on this site. You guys build near trophy trucks to withstand 1000's of desert miles and some are even street trucks. For my purposes, I want a lot of power, lower weight, and stability in the sand. They are kind of similar but there will be differences in the small details. If I could get my Bronco under 5,000lbs, I would be very very happy.
1981 Bronco Ranger
LS3/TH400/Atlas II
sand dunes build
Scott_AZ

Post by Scott_AZ »

Looks awesome man. I highly recommend the autofab mounts. $400 and change is a lot for what they are, but after putting them in, I wouldn't try to do it any other way. The driver's side is a total pain. I trimmed the old mount with the plasma and grind and hammer off the rivets. I used to have a black 86 bronco but it had way over 200k miles on it and the rivets were coming loose. I traded it for my tow rig I have today and have no regrets. I really liked that body style. The one I'm doing the swap in now is an '88 and it's my least favorite body style. When I do fiberglass on the front, I'm considering either a 1 piece or change to the late 90's style front end.

V-band exhaust... 1500HP TH400... You planning to boost that LS3?
black954

Post by black954 »

The Autofab mounts would need to be altered so I am going to make my own mounts using poly leaf spring bushings. Everything they make is top quality for sure. And I might wind up using Autofab glass if I keep the 81' front end. I'm not a huge fan of the brick nose either, but I do like the last gen bodystyle too. Yes, I plan on adding a 4.0L whipple to the LS3 after I get the suspension all done. Won't be for a few years. I just would rather pay to have the trans built to handle the power now then send it out later. I am building from scratch so it's hard to cut corners on something that will eventually need upgrading later. Plus i'm trying to over build as much as I can cause the stress on components from the weight of the Bronco combined with a lot of HP. I have to explain myself every time I order go fast parts cause most people only know drag racing. The V-bands are more for vibration. I will build long tube headers when I boost it. I can cut the V-bands off and save them so it's not really money out the window, or at least that's what I tell the wife lOl
1981 Bronco Ranger
LS3/TH400/Atlas II
sand dunes build
mobil1syn
Bronco Info: 1996 - operation mijo hauler

Post by mobil1syn »

http://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/19257230.html

for the CA guys. came a crossed this last night. CARB approved, good power for a reasonable cost.
Needles929
Bronco Info: 95 Part Deux

Post by Needles929 »

Read through this thread today. Any updates??
95 Part Deux. Starting from scratch.
VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

I still don’t understand why not just drive a Chevy and put beams under it- just seems like a whole lot better of an idea but maybe that’s just me dunno
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)