how when and where do the power steering systems fail?

Smart Alex
Bronco Info: 1991 351. lightweight special

how when and where do the power steering systems fail?

Post by Smart Alex »

What goes first, what's necessary to upgrade and what's not?

My power steering pump leaks around the shaft. Not ready to dump a grand or more into full set up from tommy lee with a ram and cooler etc.

Can I replace my pump and will it last? What else is up for consideration?

I am considering "prerunning" parker.
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Re: how when and where do the power steering systems fail?

Post by cs_drums »

I have been researching this as well, my PS pump is screaming at me :D

The easiest upgrade it seams is the E-series van saginaw pump and bracket. It is a direct replacement for the C2 pump but you have to get the bracket from a JY.

The other common break I have found is the sector shaft and the only real fix for that is a ram.

I will most likey do the e-series pump and see how long I can go before destroying the box. At that point I plan to bight the bullet on the ram setup. Like I said this is my research so I cant vouch for it. I know Kelfab just did the e-series swapp so maybe he will chime in.
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

Pumps die from high heat.

The factory pump doesn't make very good pressure so it's marginal with big tires and hard driving. The sag pump makes more pressure and seems to be a tougher pump.

Find ways to add capacity and cooling to the system to get more life.
Smart Alex

Post by Smart Alex »

Cool. So this pump came on what year van? And my original idea was to use the factory trans cooler in the radiator. Anybody have any qualms with this?
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

Smart Alex wrote:And my original idea was to use the factory trans cooler in the radiator. Anybody have any qualms with this?

That won't drop temps below 210F. Maybe use it knock anything above that off and add another cooler afterward. I used a cheap tube style cooler, and remote res (hard to fill pump with my engine cage), and a spin on filter (adds a quart).

All this stuff was cheap from Speedway and Poly Performance.
Smart Alex

Post by Smart Alex »

philofab wrote:
Smart Alex wrote:And my original idea was to use the factory trans cooler in the radiator. Anybody have any qualms with this?

That won't drop temps below 210F. Maybe use it knock anything above that off and add another cooler afterward. I used a cheap tube style cooler, and remote res (hard to fill pump with my engine cage), and a spin on filter (adds a quart).

All this stuff was cheap from Speedway and Poly Performance.
Is this because you feel the factory heat exchanger is not efficient?
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

I am not using the cooler in my radiator and I like to see power steering temps stay below 160F. I am sure the fluid is ok at 210F but not sure how far it will go above it.

I run ATF so getting above 260F for me is going to destroy the fluid.

The filter is only there to try and save the system if something fails and sends junk through the lines.
Phoenix0783
Bronco Info: No more Bronco :(

Post by Phoenix0783 »

philofab wrote:The filter is only there to try and save the system if something fails and sends junk through the lines.
What filter are you using?
Smart Alex

Post by Smart Alex »

Thanks philo I was under the impression the heat exchanger would keep temps about 180. Mabey I'll do an experiment and find out approx where temps are before exchanger, after, and after aux cooler.

What year van for parts? And its a 5.0 van?
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Mike - I seem to remember it being like a '95 van and 5.8L but info is probably in here:
http://www.gofastbroncos.com/forum/view ... &start=100
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

Phoenix0783 wrote:
philofab wrote:The filter is only there to try and save the system if something fails and sends junk through the lines.
What filter are you using?

Wix51622, it's a hydraulic filter that I also use on my transmission. Interchangeable with a regular Ford engine filter in a pinch.
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

Smart Alex wrote:What goes first, what's necessary to upgrade and what's not?

My power steering pump leaks around the shaft. Not ready to dump a grand or more into full set up from tommy lee with a ram and cooler etc.

Ive got a lee box/pump/ram. I do not have additional cooling other then then increased volume from the ram and lines and have not noticed any issues thus far going on 2 or 3 years. I think the Lee set up or similar is a safety item like a cage and full floater is for any rig that gets used hard.

Get a lifetime warranty pump and swap it out each time it goes bad until you upgrade to a complete system.
Smart Alex

Post by Smart Alex »

shockseals.com wrote:
Smart Alex wrote:What goes first, what's necessary to upgrade and what's not?

Ive got a lee box/pump/ram. I do not have additional cooling other then then increased volume from the ram and lines and have not noticed any issues thus far going on 2 or 3 years. I think the Lee set up or similar is a safety item like a cage and full floater is for any rig that gets used hard.

Get a lifetime warranty pump and swap it out each time it goes bad until you upgrade to a complete system.

Thank you.

That's good advice and I've never looked at it like that. Even being around some cars going wheels up because of power steering issues. Think I'd know better by now.
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

Lots of write-ups on using the Van pump setup. I will repeat the PS upgrade.
Go to the salvage yard and pull the pump and bracket and pulley from any 95 E150
exchange the junk pump for a rebuilt Cardone pump from any auto store. Go to Napa and buy the high pressure line for the 95 E150.
What you need is a couple of wrenches and a Harbor Freight pulley puller Some detailing may be needed for pump to bracket and I your rig has AC you will need the new bolts from the hardware store since the size changed. If so then drill out the Ac pump to fit the fatter bolts.
Fill the thing with ATF and bleed out the air.
What you end up with is a Saginaw ham can PS pump and it will be good for at least 100k miles.
If the your rig has a Serp then use the E150 pulley. If your rig has a vee belt then go find a GM vee belt pulley. Get it at the same junk yard . Reason Ford and GM have different size PS pump shaft. Big shaft is GM and E150, Ford has a smaller shaft as identified by a stock ford PS pump.
Don't ask about part numbers because they are all over the place just use make and model.
Filter in the return line - sure. I use the small in line one that is made for that purpose. Skip the high price removable can one.
Cooler - yes why not. Summit sells a nice serp tube type for about 20 bucks. Filter and cooler go in the return line.
Paul
Bondobob
Bronco Info: 1987 XLT 5.0 in the family since new in May of 1987

Post by Bondobob »

Love my E series Sag conversion. Found set up at 50% off day took the pump off and got a lifetime o'reilly with the price match for 38.99. Got new hoses for E series truck and only required minor tweaking to the bends to fit the Bronco. Needed a belt swap to slightly longer serp. All in all glad I did it and the E/F250 ambulance steering parts upgrade for now.
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

The factory hose will work with the Sag pump if you change the fitting on the pump. There were two standard and two metric fittings used over the years, I had a box full of pumps I stole the fitting from, or I'd tell which one works. 17mm I think?
Smart Alex

Post by Smart Alex »

Thank you Paul.

As far as the factory fitting on the back of the pump I had a hell of a time with that and ended up welding a a-n fitting on and making a hydraulic hose for that. Would probably do something similar with the sag pump. That stock line is a fitting I am not familiar with and tried 2 hoses from hose store and ended up with PS fluid all over 3 times.

Brian ended up telling me one is standard and one is metric and I probably had the wrong hose both times.
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

Fittings are available for sag pumps to make them AN.
DMbronco
Bronco Info: 96 XLT 351

Post by DMbronco »

Okay guys, looks like I am in need of a new steering box. '96 with 140k miles.

Looking for opinions on replacement options; stock or tommy lee.

I have the saginaw conversion with the e150 bracket and hydro already in place, along with a cooler.

I have access to a stock box, and understand the Lee box runs upwards of 500.

Is it worth it to upgrade?

Thanks for any input