how when and where do the power steering systems fail?

arse_sidewards
Bronco Info: 94 F150, 133"+8ft, 4x4, 4.9, E4OD, lots of rust

Re: how when and where do the power steering systems fail?

Post by arse_sidewards »

jkrell wrote:
VintageIronFab wrote:I'm going to try and pick up a couple 5.8 brackets with the saginaw pump/pulley. I can run them through a parts washer a few tunes to get pretty clean - what's the market on something these would you all say?
Glad to be the first (i think) customer on this.

Planning to replace factory pressure line with -6an. Anybody know the fittings needed to adapt -6 to the box and sag pump on the pressure side? From what I read the factory return line should work with Sag Pump conversion. True?
just use appropriate adapters to get the pump and gear from whatever thread they are to 3/8 or even 1/2 NPT (not that you need all the flow from 1/2, but the extra capacity doesn't hurt) and use off the shelf hydraulic hoses.

Don't mix aluminum AN fittings and hydraulic pressure. I know people do it all the time but there's a reason they specifically sell steel 37* JIC stuff and call it "AN" for P/S use.

Adapter fittings don't fail, they might leak but you can fix that in ~10min anywhere with some sealant. If the hydraulic hoses fail replacements aren't exactly difficult to locate.

If you want you can grab the OE P/S cooler, or three at the JY and use a flare union to add them to yours. Just having the hot fluid hang around in 6ft of steel line for a little while can make a surprising difference in fluid temps, even if it's not a "real" cooler.
XTate
Bronco Info: 95 Bronco stock not for long

Post by XTate »

Blew up my box today! had to walk out until I could get cell service and call for a ride. Somebody post a picture of how to mount the ram assist please. Bronco is still out there got to go back and swap box out in the dirt in order to limp it home.
VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

Yea absolutely only use the steel -an fittings on power steering - made that mistake and it sucks!
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

Exactly. Steel 37* JIC fittings and adapters are sold by all hydraulic and industrial supply houses. Nice yellow in color because of cad plating. Stay away form the normal auto supply houses because they sell the poor quality aluminum stuff.
XTate

Post by XTate »

Has anybody dealt with Lee Power Steering lately, like in the last few months ? If so who over there ? are you happy. I just want to do this one time, I need to know what box to go to, and if I need a ram or not. Single swinger, on 37's, 4 and half over. After almost three days to get back to pavement I can not trust the stock box ever. Never met a rock I didn't want to hit. Tate
VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

Lee is out of business - he’s a pretty old guy with some health issues if I understand right. Still can’t believe no one didn’t take over the business.
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
XTate

Post by XTate »

Somebody did take over. I spoke to them yesterday. Google it. What I was looking for was someone who has dealt with them after the take over.