Rear Tire Carrier

Blueblood

Re: Rear Tire Carrier

Post by Blueblood »

yes sir thats the one, thankx for posting the pics nick :)
baja-chris

Post by baja-chris »

Heres mine.
Attachments
IMG_3315.JPG
IMG_3315.JPG (54.01 KiB) Viewed 1323 times
IMG_3314.JPG
IMG_3314.JPG (49.12 KiB) Viewed 1323 times
IMG_3313.JPG
IMG_3313.JPG (54.78 KiB) Viewed 1323 times
baja-chris

Post by baja-chris »

A couple more pics.
Attachments
IMG_3316.JPG
IMG_3316.JPG (64.89 KiB) Viewed 1323 times
IMG_3317.JPG
IMG_3317.JPG (57.99 KiB) Viewed 1323 times
IMG_3318.JPG
IMG_3318.JPG (46.28 KiB) Viewed 1323 times
baja-chris

Post by baja-chris »

The spinner that hold the spare doubles as a lug wrench. That's a Craftsman socket welded to a piece of tubing with a nut welded to the end that threads onto the all-thread in the center. The three lugs are the real lugs on my Bronco so if I broke one in Baja I could take one from the spare tire rack.

The latch is a cam-over design from Proto-Fab. The jack lifts off with two hood pins and a channel that holds it. The jack handle is in a spring loaded cup. And lastly, there is a Corona bottle opener mounted on the rack so when I say everything you need to replace a flat tire is mounted on the back bumper, I really mean it!

The main hinge is a trailer hub that was turned down on a lathe so the rack swings on tapered roller bearings. The upper hinge is just a pin in a poly bushing since there is no weight on it. The OEM upper bracket is backed up with steel plates and tubing that ties directly into the chassis cage.

I've run around in Baja for years and many thousands of miles with this rack and it's holding up great. It was expensive. And worth it.
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

baja-chris wrote:The spinner that hold the spare doubles as a lug wrench. That's a Craftsman socket welded to a piece of tubing with a nut welded to the end that threads onto the all-thread in the center. The three lugs are the real lugs on my Bronco so if I broke one in Baja I could take one from the spare tire rack.

The latch is a cam-over design from Proto-Fab. The jack lifts off with two hood pins and a channel that holds it. The jack handle is in a spring loaded cup. And lastly, there is a Corona bottle opener mounted on the rack so when I say everything you need to replace a flat tire is mounted on the back bumper, I really mean it!

The main hinge is a trailer hub that was turned down on a lathe so the rack swings on tapered roller bearings. The upper hinge is just a pin in a poly bushing since there is no weight on it. The OEM upper bracket is backed up with steel plates and tubing that ties directly into the chassis cage.

I've run around in Baja for years and many thousands of miles with this rack and it's holding up great. It was expensive. And worth it.

Chris,
that looks great!! Any good pictures of your front fenders, and how they mount etc etc... I am really leaning towards the Autofab 3" rise stock flare like yours... but have never seen really good pics of them.
baja-chris

Post by baja-chris »

Other pictures are on other computers and we recently moved, will be moving again soon and have lots of stuff in stoage. I can tell you about them though. The fenders and hood are Autofab. The hood is the one designed for a hinge mount, it has stiffening box sections and is an excellent piece. The fenders are the bolt on style which means they bolt onto the same spots as the stock fenders. To use bolt on fiberglass fenders you should do something to make sure your core support does not move. On a stock bronco the fender has some structural integrity and helps keep the core support from moving (until it all cracks apart and falls off which why we switch to lighter fiberglass). In my case I have a full cage and the core support bolts to an extension off the cage so it does not move and the fiberglass bolt on fenders work great. It's a PITA to remove them, exactly like it is for stock steel fenders but it's not a race truck and I don't need to remove them unless i'm doing something major like a motor swap. I like the look of the non-flared fenders as long as your front end is not widened. If you widen the front end then get the flared fenders.
bajascott
My belly is my best friend
Bronco Info: its black, its fun to drive,and i dont have enough money to build it the way i want to!:)

Post by bajascott »

very cool chris, looks like you need to put that bottle opener to use on that left rear!haha
i like it alot
FRONT YARD FABRICATION
http://ssfab-n-offroad.com/
1971Ford
Bronco Info: '94 Bronco 351w Full 2" cage, C/T TTB, coilovers, etc.

Post by 1971Ford »

Nick wrote:
Blueblood wrote:i have always like the one on the Bundersun(sp?) bronco that was in DS a few years ago
You mean this one.
Well can't you only go this route with a solid mounted body though? Being that it mounts to the frame (bumper) and the body, if it were on rubber mounts it would flex and wrip somethingn, most likely the tire mount on the body.
-Ryan Piggott - 1971 F250 race truck #871
Brothers '94 Bronco prerunner
Nick
Founder
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target

Post by Nick »

1971Ford wrote:
Nick wrote:
Blueblood wrote:i have always like the one on the Bundersun(sp?) bronco that was in DS a few years ago
You mean this one.
Well can't you only go this route with a solid mounted body though? Being that it mounts to the frame (bumper) and the body, if it were on rubber mounts it would flex and wrip somethingn, most likely the tire mount on the body.
I'm pretty sure the upper mount is tied to the cage
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
damon1272

Post by damon1272 »

I saw this truck a few years ago. What a great build. If I remeber right the tire carrier was tied into the cage.
T-Hawk
Bronco Info: Stock '88 XLT, 302, Dying AOD

Post by T-Hawk »

I really really like Shadofax's rear carrier : http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/sho ... p?t=159543

Have it go over the gate and bolt to the cage, viola! a handy tailgate step (that also happens to double as a tire-carrier, lets see the new super duty's step do that).
On the 8th day God created cordite...then things really went to ****
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

T-Hawk wrote:I really really like Shadofax's rear carrier.
I build one like that on a Blazer.... It took all I had to fold it up. At the time I went to the gym a lot and was not a weak guy. I would need an air shock/spring assist on it to be happy.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/