TTB limited slips & lockers

Seabass
Bronco Info: 96 bronco

Re: TTB limited slips & lockers

Post by Seabass »

Why 93 f150? Did 93 f150's come with a lsd in the front?
BDKW1
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!

Post by BDKW1 »

I would also look for a bolt in P-side axle carrier.
RyanDS650X
Bronco Info: Autofab '96 XLT 5.8

Post by RyanDS650X »

BDKW1 wrote:I would also look for a bolt in P-side axle carrier.
X2 i couldnt find a spring that was happy enough to live in the slip type stub shaft so i went with the bolt in.
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

I had the same issue. Keifer milled down the spider gear and used the sirclip. I was completely unsuccessful at finding a bolt in carrier.
yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Post by yikes »

hobbyturnedobsession wrote:I was completely unsuccessful at finding a bolt in carrier.
Broncograveyard. Order them complete with a tru-trac.
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

I have never found a situation that airing down didn't get me out with even a open diff.

I once had the front wheel buried so far in the sand that you could not see the wheel. Aired down and drove out.

I have a grizzly locker in the front now but I rarely use 4wd anymore... mostly towing things that the wheels fell off of.
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

philofab wrote:I have never found a situation that airing down didn't get me out with even a open diff.

I once had the front wheel buried so far in the sand that you could not see the wheel. Aired down and drove out.

I have a grizzly locker in the front now but I rarely use 4wd anymore... mostly towing things that the wheels fell off of.
=======
To each his own. You probably wont be able to go the places I go .
PW
1Hondalover
Bronco Info: Having so much fun with friends in Baja, we're not sure if we want to race NORRA.....

Post by 1Hondalover »

Sorry I missed a few days. I'll agree that GoFast is best pushed by the rear end only and that's what I do. The added pull of the front in a wash sure is nice, but worth doing without in an effort to save parts. As I consider everyone's angle, it seems like I'd only be locking up my manual hubs to unstuck, tow or pick rocks aka GoSlow. I'm spooled in the rear so no worries there.

I like ARB products so I think I'll dig a little deeper in between their selectable and the TruTrac.
VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

I have heard a long time ago about the different types of TTB center sections-- one being bolt in and the other some type of fastener-- is one vs the other considered better among the TTB GFB faithful?
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

bolt in is.

80-82 center sections have this if I'm not mistaken. Oh and d44 only I believe. Don't think the d44HD or 50 had the bolt in setup
baja-chris

Post by baja-chris »

D50 had bolt in axle 1980-82. Using a D50 bolt in axle in the race bronco (with a D44 third member).
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Post by cs_drums »

baja-chris wrote:D50 had bolt in axle 1980-82. Using a D50 bolt in axle in the race bronco (with a D44 third member).
Is it a bolt in swap with just bigger u joints?
funinthesun95
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco MAF UsShift

Post by funinthesun95 »

Steve Dana 44HD did have 3 bolt 80-82

Baja-Chris has the D50 3 bolt .....so it looks like the year range is what you look for when shopping at the yard..... good to know

CS-Drums ......Yes we picked one up on ebay for Dave aka slappy style for his D44/50 front end set up and using the 44 center section
funinthesun95
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco MAF UsShift

Post by funinthesun95 »

this is the 1980 bronco 3 bolt

It has a stock posi in it with 3.55 gears

My understanding
3.73 down
3.92 up

so make sure if you plan on using a used posi or locker unit for our TTB it is a 3.92 up if you are going to run 4.56 or 4.88 for an example.
Attachments
3bolt%20n%20case.jpg
3bolt%20n%20case.jpg (50 KiB) Viewed 2537 times
3bolt.jpg
3bolt.jpg (47.47 KiB) Viewed 2537 times
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Good to know guys - thanks. I swear I remembered reading the d50's didn't have the bolt in style and that people were just running the d44 center section, but glad to know I was wrong!
baja-chris

Post by baja-chris »

cs_drums wrote:
baja-chris wrote:D50 had bolt in axle 1980-82. Using a D50 bolt in axle in the race bronco (with a D44 third member).
Is it a bolt in swap with just bigger u joints?
Yes, but you have to clearance the beam for the bigger yoke/u-joint. Other than that it drops right in. Same splines, length, etc.
baja-chris

Post by baja-chris »

BTW, D50 bolt-in is not easy to find. They did not sell that many 4wd F350's in 1980-82.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Figured that may be the case.

I've been looking a little bit for an 80-86 F-350 4wd and haven't had a bunch of hits even including the 84-86 years.
ntsqd
Bronco Info: '70 Early Bronco SuperCab Shortbed Pick-up "Bronc-up" aka "Frank(entruck)", '96 OJB "Blanc-Oh!"

Post by ntsqd »

Dragging this one back up from the graveyard; looking at building the Blanc-Oh's TTB to correct it's not quite right beams (More than OK for a wahoo'er, not so great for something that sees a couple thousand miles of pavement on each trip). Thinking of going with the RCV axle shafts and an ARB. Use is rarely pre-running, more desert exploring and race chase work. I've yet to need a front locker, but I have needed one in two other trucks on occasion. Having lived with a "lunch-box" locker up front for years I know that I don't want another one of those and driving the 4rnnr with it's front ARB has spoiled me.

What are the advantages of the bolt-in axle vs however else the inner axle is retained and is it important to my use?
Cross-threaded is tighter than Lock-Tite.
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

I have had a couple friends with RCV axles in there race trucks and they have worked really well. They are major pain to put together, butt really strong. The boots keep all the dirt and grime from the joint.

I personally have thousands of miles on some chromoly axles from Dutchman and they've worked just fine. That is with the Bronco as a daily driver, chase, prerunner and a trailer queen toy. I can't justify the price when I could put the money into other area's of the Bronco.

David Wright