TTB limited slips & lockers

1Hondalover
Bronco Info: Having so much fun with friends in Baja, we're not sure if we want to race NORRA.....

TTB limited slips & lockers

Post by 1Hondalover »

In addition to our Bronco's regulary scheduled surgery, it appears we're going to need to get into the 'ole TTB since it left us on a tow rope for a bit at Huckfest. Not sure what we'll find in there, but assuming it will be at least some chunks, and new diff may be in order. I'm generally aware of the limited slips and lockers out there, but of course have no experience with them in a TTB.

I read good things about a Detroit TruTrac limited slip because of its gear operation with no clutches. I've also read that a real locker Detroit or otherwise is a nightmare in any front end. Of course air and now electric lockers are the best of both worlds if one wants to count on said air and power. There's a ton of them out there but I'm sure the hose or wires on the housing are longer lived on a rockcrawler than a prerunner.

Experiences.....thoughts.....ideas? Thanks in advance.
RyanDS650X
Bronco Info: Autofab '96 XLT 5.8

Re: TTB limited slips & lockers

Post by RyanDS650X »

I have an Auburn limited slip locker that is electronic and if I had it my way I would run an open carrier with the lock option because steering with a limited slip is sketchy at speed. I have an ARB in the rear and I'm seriously considering putting an ARB in the front and running the dual manifold compressor. my 2 cents
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

Ive heard dont have a lockable front lockee because it will not turn without breaking things. I have a posi traction (trac loc) and it works superb. No issues at all. Ive yet to get stuck even with the crossmember skid on the ground and the back tires in the air.
robertcrav
Let me google that for you
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies

Post by robertcrav »

Best thing about manual hubs ... When you don't need the locker or limited slip you can unlock
RyanDS650X

Post by RyanDS650X »

Thats what ive always done also. I will say say having the option to run fully locked is great. Loose hill climbs, silt beds situations like that being locked up makes short work of it. BUT.... going fast in sandy washes with switch backs would be nice to just have the diff open to keep that inside wheel pulling you through, with the limited slip in a tall, short wheelbase vehicle can get you out of shape quickly! Ask me how i know :shock:
damon1272

Post by damon1272 »

MAy want to consider a tru trac for the front. Limited slip but feels like an open diff.
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

The thing to remember is the d44 TTB uses light duty u-joints. So the dreaded turn with the thing locked will most likely eject the u-joint caps and then do further damage. The D50 is stronger, but has less options. Anyway a limited slip with manual hubs is the preferred way to go. Good old Trutrac is very popular.
guard
Bronco Info: 1996 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by guard »

If you've got the coin, nothing beats selectable lockers. TruTrac is a good quality option for the front if you prefer to save. It's a little weak in the rear when you really want a locker, I have one and am disappointed in its offroad effectiveness. I would take an elocker, ARB, or Ox locker instead of a limited slip any day of the week. Or a Detroit locker if I couldn't afford to fly first class. I suppose this is my: "if I were to do it over" thoughts. :o
BDKW1
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!

Post by BDKW1 »

The Barge came with a factory limited slip front diff. Worked OK. Replaced with a Tru-trac. Much better. Requires a little different driving style, but once you get used to it you will never want to go back. Rally on!!!!
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

I have a Jeep with a D44 and I guarantee that with a selectable locker it will break. Same u-joints as a D44 Bronco TTB. However if you have aftermarket axles with upgraded u-joints then a better result is possible. Don't know who makes them for a TTB if any? Lately the RCV axles have promise for less breakage? I still wonder if they can deal with a full locker. Of course the D50 has bigger U-j, but still have the same axle size.
Hey guys its expensive. Just go with a limited slip and deal with it.
The Jeep now has double heat treat axles with up graded u-joints and ARB. Moab twice so far and no breakage . Yes, I have the u-joints caps welded, just like I do on the Broncos. Yup, the Jeep has a solid axle.
PW
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Post by cs_drums »

Personally I just plan on running the front open. 99% of trucks in this sport are 2wd. I think 3wd at any given moment will be good to go. How often are you guys getting stuck and needing 4x4?
robertcrav
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies

Post by robertcrav »

cs_drums wrote:Personally I just plan on running the front open. 99% of trucks in this sport are 2wd. I think 3wd at any given moment will be good to go. How often are you guys getting stuck and needing 4x4?
Well, that depends on whether you use the truck strictly for "prerunning" ... if it's also an exploration truck etc....needs change
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

I am also of the mindset of keeping the front open, however I understand Roberts point.... if you are also using the truck for go slow stuff, or exploration and your by yourself, then absolutely it helps.

I like the thought of making sure I am with people, and i have good tow rope to get me out of trouble if needed. The 3WD keeps me out of trouble... hopefully anyways..... HAHAHA
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

I dont see the need for a selectable locker in a go slow application either. Ive out climbed quite a few modded jeeps and other rigs with a posi out front and a detroit in the rear. Silt beds sand and multiple other elements including calico climbing good size trails. I never found a hill i couldnt climb.
93Broncobuff
Bronco Info: 1993, 351w, K&N,4" Bilstein 5100 lift, procomp coils, SSFAB Beams, Giant R/A's

Post by 93Broncobuff »

I plan on running the aubern Ec-tec locker front and rear. its a limited slip diff but u can electronically lock it too, but I haven't heard too much about them.....and I think that's how the name is spelled, I don't remember lol
RyanDS650X

Post by RyanDS650X »

93Broncobuff wrote:I plan on running the aubern Ec-tec locker front and rear. its a limited slip diff but u can electronically lock it too, but I haven't heard too much about them.....and I think that's how the name is spelled, I don't remember lol
Thats what i have in my D50 and im not a fan in a gofast application.
robertcrav

Post by robertcrav »

hobbyturnedobsession wrote:I dont see the need for a selectable locker in a go slow application either.
This was more my point, our front diffs are 'selectable' because of the hubs... Run a Detroit up front...as long as it isn't bound up it shouldn't break anything... Only need a little more traction, only lock one hub...

When I can, and this is low on the priority list I plan on adding a Tru-Trac up front
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Post by cs_drums »

I understand if your doing a dual purpose rig. I have alway gone all sorts of stupid places in 4wd with both diffs open, however, I am sure I will have some great pics an a funny story when I prove myself wrong on this one.
Seabass
Bronco Info: 96 bronco

Post by Seabass »

Im hoping to find a factory dana 44 limited slip carrier for a deal to rebuild before I regear. If not ill be staying open.
LvSteve
Bronco Info: 1995 XLT Sport. 96 427w e4od obd II system........ SOLD IT

Post by LvSteve »

Try looking here for your used frt diff. Look in the rust belt for 93 f150...... http://car-part.com/