Steering Systems - Stock, Superunner & Equal Len. Crossover

jkrell
Bronco Info: Ford F150 Flareside

Re: Steering Systems - Stock, Superunner & Equal Len. Crossover

Post by jkrell »

SteveG wrote:It took me way too long to find all this and then verify that it fit (Kris did the actual fitment checking), so I thought I'd post the info to keep you you guys from having to do the legwork again.

The following image gives you Raybestos (used to be Spicer) part numbers for upgrading (larger diameter) the tie rod ends for the right wheel. I looked and looked for replacements for the short side but just couldn't find anything... close, but not close enough.

You can buy these replacements at NAPA stores or anywhere that sells Raybestos chassis parts. These are the blue-booted high-quality stuff that stock-class racers use.

Also noteworthy, even on the heavier trucks that used the following heavy duty long tie rod, Ford stuck with the smaller diameter stuff on the short side.

Maybe the short side is not really a problem? Can some of the stock class racers verify this?
Google search on this brought up this thread and this info. Solid easy find for good data. Thanks! I found a couple of the raybestos professional series parts on clearance and open box and found all three parts pieces for less than $100. I'd like to go with a crossover steering eventually but this should get me through an upcoming baja trip.
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

I should update that post. Unless you're buying FoMoCo parts, I don't think it's a good swap. The Spicer stuff (which is now Raybestos) is not what it used to be. I bet the stock, factory parts are stronger than the larger diameter, softer material aftermarket parts.
jkrell

Post by jkrell »

Hrm. Well that's a bummer. I bought the raybestos professional line stuff hoping that would be decent quality over their service line. At least It was cheap. I'm going to sleeve it with chromoly as well so hopefully will be better than stock but I'll bring stocks along as spares. I'll report back with how the quality looks.
jkrell

Post by jkrell »

You weren't kidding about quality issues on raybestos parts. They only decided to tap one side of this guy apparently.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a298/ ... B46D5F.jpg

Tie rod looks okay. I sleeved it, hopefully it will hold up.
jkrell

Post by jkrell »

Sleeved Raybestos pro parts held up fine for Baja pounding down at NORRA this year.
Randyg12
Bronco Info: I have a ford ranger, looking to upgrade to a bronco

Post by Randyg12 »

This thread has a ton of great info, thanks guys.

Just one question regarding my 71 F100 with an autofab front end. My tie rods are shot, and I want to replace them for ease of mine seeing as how I have my truck apart. I can't find the centerlink anywhere, with the extra adjustments that autofab used. I sent an email to them but feel bad for bothering.

Is the centerlink the ambulance one? Looks similar, and would make sense. Would just like to get some clarification before I throw money at parts. My guess is centerlink is ambulance, and the rest is normal from the looks of it.
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Just call Autofab. Anyone there would be happy to steer you in the right direction. Tell them GFB sent you and they'll be even happier!
RyanDS650X
Bronco Info: Autofab '96 XLT 5.8

Post by RyanDS650X »

I see what u did there, Steve.
Seabass
Bronco Info: 96 bronco

Post by Seabass »

I tried ordering ambulance tie rods at autozone and was told they've been discontinued... I'm thinking autozone shmuck. Anyone else had an issue?
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

We got ours from the Ford dealer.
RyanDS650X

Post by RyanDS650X »

At your front door in 2 days
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Gotta love the bolt, red ! saying "this does not fit your 1996 Ford Bronco". Man if we listened to parts counter guys....
RyanDS650X

Post by RyanDS650X »

It fits like glove! Great upgrade, I've had mine for 2 years going strong.
Seabass

Post by Seabass »

Thanks fellas!
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

I assume they don't work on wider front ends? I may be wrong????

I am going to probably be copying Chris Wilson's Bronco setup with a direct threaded 1.5" 4130 swingers and 7/8 hiems.
Seabass

Post by Seabass »

I'd love more infor on Sandy Cone's set up with the saginaw box and tre's. Google isn't bringing much up. Did anyone ever get a chance to check it out?
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Re:

Post by PaulW »

Wrightracing.net wrote:I assume they don't work on wider front ends? I may be wrong????

I am going to probably be copying Chris Wilson's Bronco setup with a direct threaded 1.5" 4130 swingers and 7/8 hiems.
===
Suggest reading my thread on how to deal with rotating Heims. Chris and I both have that drooping tie rod issue. I will have a new reply on that thread today
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Seabass wrote:I'd love more infor on Sandy Cone's set up with the saginaw box and tre's. Google isn't bringing much up. Did anyone ever get a chance to check it out?
We've had a couple guys (can't remember who) who had seen it in person & either had pics or were going to try. I don't remember ever seeing any pics though & I'd love to!
Seabass

Post by Seabass »

Found this cool widget from ruff stuff that would allow you to build a factory style system with dom and TRE's of your choice. Curious of larger gm joints get better/same angle.

http://www.nc4x4.com/forum/threads/stee ... er.160765/
RyanDS650X

Post by RyanDS650X »

Try it a report back. I'd buy it if it took the slop out of the wheel