Steering Systems - Stock, Superunner & Equal Len. Crossover

philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Re: Steering Systems - Stock, Superunner & Equal Len. Crossover

Post by philofab »

Looks nice. Do you think it will stay at 22" after axles? Any plans to double shear the knuckles?
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

motoxscott wrote:Here's a picture of the swing-set steering I've been working on .... for a while.
Exactly how long is a while? Ha! Looks, good, Scott!
Sho nuff,
SteveG
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

motoxscott wrote: I'm gonna use 1.25" x .375w 4130 tubing for the tie rods so all I have to do is drill & tap the ends, no welding thread bungs in. I'm also gonna send them out to get heat-treated since it doesn't cost that much to do.
When I called certified they said not to bother with the tie rods in this app...
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
ESHALLBETTER
Bronco Info: 85 class 3, 70's somthing trail bronco.

Post by ESHALLBETTER »

motoxscott,

In all the pics I see of your truck the frame looks really clean, like unreal clean. Are you doing something to prep it for fab? Painting it to look good for the pictures? Tell us your secret!
motoxscott
Bronco Info: 408 Prerunner

Post by motoxscott »

philofab wrote:Looks nice. Do you think it will stay at 22" after axles? Any plans to double shear the knuckles?
I have plans to build new spindles that use uniballs instead of balljoints and run our 2.25 hubs. Worst case I will double shear the stock spindles until that happens. Not sure what the final travel numbers will be with working 4wd. I would say 19-20" with having Jack at CTM work his magic on shafts & u-joints.
Are you doing something to prep it for fab?
Saturate frame with WD-40, with medium scotchbrite wipe until forearms are on fire & knuckles are bleeding, then wipe clean with lacquer thinner. Then wipe down with WD-40 or ATF to keep from rusting.

- Scott
yogib

Post by yogib »

Im running the superunner on my Bronco with no issuses at all.I keep it greased up and it doesnt seem to have any steering issuses.For sure stronger than stock.
sydude
Bronco Info: 1992 Restored Bronco w/Built 302x, All Glass, Full Cage, Bilstein 9100's & Deavers

Post by sydude »

Does $470 sound correct for a full Spicer/NAPA Chassis Parts 'HD' steering setup? This is the F350 2WD steering setup for Ambulance prepped trucks from 93-97, which is a heavy duty set of tie rods for the passenger side and I believe the OEM bronco strength tie rods for the driver's side. Also included are the adjuster sleeves. Blue dust boots and grease fittings all around.

Does that sound like a reasonable price, and are these the highest quality OEM style steering parts around?

Thanks

S
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

Anybody have a picture of a single swing with ram? I dont see a lot of mounting options. I would ideally like a tab on the frame and a tab on the relay rod and both those tabs in line with the ram parallel to teh relay rod... any photos or experience appreciated.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
gunit

Post by gunit »

Here is a pic, not my Bronco.
wmpc210047.jpg
wmpc210047.jpg (62.47 KiB) Viewed 4073 times
BajaF250
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250

Post by BajaF250 »

Hey, thanks Dave... looks nice. I've been contimplating adding a ram when I go to equal length steering. How much drop in your pitman are are you using?
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

gunit wrote:Here is a pic, not my Bronco.
wmpc210047.jpg

Thanks for the pic.
Looks to be single sheared off right hand side tie rod bolt or am I looking at it wrong?

That would work great if I was using half inch hardwear for my steering.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
damon1272

Post by damon1272 »

It is all double sheared just can't really see from the angle. This is southwest performance pics.
Deleted Account
Bronco Info: depends on what day

Post by Deleted Account »

yep.. no extra bro-fab single shear steering for me.. lol not steering scares me
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

After 7 or is it 8 years of desert driving I had to get my steering rebuilt. The system that lasted that long was stock with the ambulance tie rod. The TREs were all loose and the stock TR end was bad.
I mention this because unless one is going to drive a Bronco like it was racing the system described should last at least as long as mine.

Now that I am educated on the shaft cracking I have elected to have a crossover setup with ram. I agree with the theory that by using the ram the load on the sector shaft should be reduced. That gives me comfort. The design details will be posted later, but It is the standard Glen Straightiff design that he has installed on several Broncos. Reduced bump steer etc., etc. It has a custom Sag pump matched to the ram and of course has a rebuilt box to new condition. Done By T Lee.
PaulW
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

PaulW wrote:After 7 or is it 8 years of desert driving I had to get my steering rebuilt. The system that lasted that long was stock with the ambulance tie rod. The TREs were all loose and the stock TR end was bad.
I mention this because unless one is going to drive a Bronco like it was racing the system described should last at least as long as mine.

Now that I am educated on the shaft cracking I have elected to have a crossover setup with ram. I agree with the theory that by using the ram the load on the sector shaft should be reduced. That gives me comfort. The design details will be posted later, but It is the standard Glen Straightiff design that he has installed on several Broncos. Reduced bump steer etc., etc. It has a custom Sag pump matched to the ram and of course has a rebuilt box to new condition. Done By T Lee.
PaulW

The ambulance set up lasted me 1 prerun each, no hard hits just standard whoops and some g outs. I replaced it twice before shitcanning it for swing steer.

Lee ram/pump/box going on it this weekend.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

mkiefer wrote:yep.. no extra bro-fab single shear steering for me.. lol not steering scares me

Easy now...leduc may hear you. His broncos see more abuse and miles than most any if not all. Taper pin adapters from fodrill and single sheer...that was enough to convince me to KISS. a custom fab knuckle isnt easy to find or make in BFE. A stock one is though.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

A 6" ram is required if you go off the pitman at the tie rod like the above picture. I planned on going off my relay bar and then changed my mind and have to wait for lee to get back to swap it out.

New pump and box went in great. A longer fitting on the box on the port closest to the steering shaft would make life much easier.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
Deleted Account
Bronco Info: depends on what day

Post by Deleted Account »

shockseals.com wrote:
mkiefer wrote:yep.. no extra bro-fab single shear steering for me.. lol not steering scares me

Easy now...leduc may hear you. His broncos see more abuse and miles than most any if not all. Taper pin adapters from fodrill and single sheer...that was enough to convince me to KISS. a custom fab knuckle isnt easy to find or make in BFE. A stock one is though.
Thats a good way to do it to. I just weld plates to the stock knuckles. and you can bolt it all together with a stock one too. i think my bronco is the only one iv done that is single shear. and thats just because i was trying a few diferant kinds of hiems out. and back to fks. i use 1 3-8 .375 4130 i have more bend then scotts and the only damage i have ever had was from hitting a wall in the race truck. the link has fine. the spindle, pitman arm, steering box and the drivers hand didnt do as well though.
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

mkiefer wrote:
shockseals.com wrote:

Thats a good way to do it to. I just weld plates to the stock knuckles. and you can bolt it all together with a stock one too. i think my bronco is the only one iv done that is single shear. and thats just because i was trying a few diferant kinds of hiems out. and back to fks. i use 1 3-8 .375 4130 i have more bend then scotts and the only damage i have ever had was from hitting a wall in the race truck. the link has fine. the spindle, pitman arm, steering box and the drivers hand didnt do as well though.
FK F-1 fit are the best for what we do. If you arent buying direct from FK, let me know and I may be able to help you out if you buy a decent amount.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
greaslife
Bronco Info: Home built is the way too go even if they don't like it.

Post by greaslife »

ok so just remember i know nothing of these animals. Why is there no steering dampener. wouldn't that help ?
I have been me for 32 years and know i cant spell for Sh!$ so get over it . Thanks Josh