Steering Systems - Stock, Superunner & Equal Len. Crossover

BDKW1
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!

Re: Steering Systems - Stock, Superunner & Equal Len. Crossover

Post by BDKW1 »

Oddly enough, I have been looking for a steering box for another project, Needs to be outside the frame mount forward swing. That looks like exactly what I need. Probably should stick with local stuff though..........
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

Wouldn't an 80s 4x4 GM box be easier to find?
BDKW1
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!

Post by BDKW1 »

Much easier to find, just not as compact or with the shaft pointing that direction.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

You may know this already but the Dodge & Chevy saginaw boxes are the same I believe - at least the 70s/80's. From what Ive read the difference is one box is 12:1 ratio & the other is 15:1. I think the dodges are the 15:1 but can't remember for sure.

2wds turn one way and the 4wds turn the opposite, but both mount the same. The pitman arms can be indexed in 90* intervals too, so pick a box that swings/turns the way you want & then position the arm how you need it.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

forgot to add - I tilted the saginaw box on the crew to point the shaft up a bit. A buddy had done it previously with no issues. It of course points the pitman arm is tilted with this setup, but the swing of a "drop" arm helps things there
Tchajagos
Bronco Info: 1993 xlt stock on 33' BFGs

Post by Tchajagos »

I thought the Chevy boxes mounted to the outside of the frame?
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

They do. The RH steer box he was looking at on Rod's truck would mount outside the frame on a LH steer application here as well though.
Tchajagos
Bronco Info: 1993 xlt stock on 33' BFGs

Post by Tchajagos »

I probably should have read the previous post haha. Wow
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

I swapped out my Tommy Lee hot rodded plastic housing ford pump in my 96 for the sag pump out of a 95 E150 along with the bracket and pulley. It was a 15 minute swap (havent bled system yet though). I never had any issues with the Lee pump since install in 2010 and Charlie from PSS would even use my truck as a demo of how ram steering should feel and work to customers with ill working PSC systems, but it was time to prep the steering system so I made the swap to the sag pump. I figure its cheaper to buy a bracket and $40 sag pump from rock auto then it is to send the pump back to PSS or Howe for a rebuild.

The factory bronco hose isnt long enough to work properly but the threads are the same. The plastic pump fitting exits towards tire, sag pump fitting exits towards fire wall so the hose is 90 degrees off.

I bought the van power steering hose but made a hose myself instead and used Russel Adapters 648060 for pump to -6 JIC and 640330 for the port on the box 1/2-20 Inv flare to -6 JIC. I made my own hose so its much easier to field repair as we had a ford OE pressure line go bad on a truck on the last trail run and thats not an easy field repair when the pump side part of the hose blows out of the fitting and grenades the snap ring groove and then while repairing the return line spud on the plastic housing broke off making it an even shittier field repair.

YMMV
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

Van hose is crap routing. Use adapters mentioned above and -6 hose. You can use a 19” cut length and a straight and a 90 fitting or a 16” cut length with a 90 and 45 that are clocked 90 apart. I made both and installed the straight and 90 before realizing the 90 and 45 could route a little cleaner.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

Absolutely don’t use aluminum fittings on these pressure fittings- I didn’t search these parts numbers out but aluminum isn’t up to the task long term.
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

VintageIronFab wrote:Absolutely don’t use aluminum fittings on these pressure fittings- I didn’t search these parts numbers out but aluminum isn’t up to the task long term.
theyre steel...I only use steel on the dump.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

Update after putting some miles on it...Cardone 207878 doesnt have adequate flow or pressure and the wheel "catches" easily if you saw at the wheel and effort is higher than previous pump. I pulled the main fitting and piston assembly. Drilled main fitting to #10 bit from a .134 dia port and reduced the height of the piston assembly to 1.340 OAH from 1.365. Hopefully this gets me closer to the tommy lee pump I replaced which worked well.

I have requested pump flow and psi data from Cardone...theyll "get back to me". I imagine the P pumps that are remanned or more commonly out of cars and the flow valve and piston assembly is set up for cars, truck require more flow and higher pressure but there is no way externally to tell what pump you have without taking out the fitting.

I will repost once I get this stuff swapped in.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

mods above worked great #10 drill, reduced height piston

...also incorrectly stated above, the fittings were aluminum at least on the pump. I will post proper steel part number when I get it.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

Box fitting above was steel. Pump fitting in steel is earls 961955ERL
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

Kris anyway you can post the drill mod?? I think that swingset steering requires a higher output pump than a regular stock configurated steering linkage
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

VintageIronFab wrote:Kris anyway you can post the drill mod?? I think that swingset steering requires a higher output pump than a regular stock configurated steering linkage
Its the ram that requires more volume/gpm to not "catch"

Pull the fitting off back of pump with a 1" socket. use magnet to pull piston and spring out. Disassemble nut from piston (7/16). Remove shim(s) or some remans used loctite at the required height instead of a shim. Bottom nut on piston assembly. Modifying piston increases pressure.

Drill thru hole in main fitting to #11 (I only had a #10 bit so .191 instead of .193) and clean cross port to make sure no burrs. Drilling hole increases flow.

I am only speaking for ram assist vehicles, this may be way too much flow and make the car sketchy to drive on non ram assist vehicles. I have seen 5/32 hole recommended for regular steering cars but #11 came from the guy who originally mod'ed my C pump at Lee.

I did this with pump in car since its an asshole to pull pullet and remove...a few rags to catch the half quart of fluid that comes out and a hose down after.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
funinthesun95
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco MAF UsShift

Post by funinthesun95 »

I found these for all of the do it my self guys. Roy has done a few boxes and has done it a little different due to v8 in a ranger and lines fitting. But you can see both ways will work due to flow. The other image was from Pirate 4x4 I Think
Attachments
IMG_0453.PNG
IMG_0453.PNG (619.97 KiB) Viewed 6000 times
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0001.JPG (28.64 KiB) Viewed 6000 times
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG (47.82 KiB) Viewed 6000 times
Good people + Great info = GFB
@csracingteam
@Cockstarmotorsports
rdcjuanb
Bronco Info: 1995 Bronco parked in garage. Long term project.

Post by rdcjuanb »

Anyone have issues turning right? Getting on the freeway at speed feels super sketchy. It felt similar with extended stock steering and now with the single pivot crossover steering. Buddy has a similar issue and he is running dual swinger steering.
alpinejd3
Bronco Info: 1991 EB Prerunner

Post by alpinejd3 »

rdcjuanb wrote:Anyone have issues turning right? Getting on the freeway at speed feels super sketchy. It felt similar with extended stock steering and now with the single pivot crossover steering. Buddy has a similar issue and he is running dual swinger steering.
Loose and sloppy sketchy or tight and unable to turn sketchy? Mine had major issues pre and post dual swinger steering setup, it would almost feel like steering was binding up. The Howe setup solved it completely for me.