Steering Systems - Stock, Superunner & Equal Len. Crossover

95_Bronco
Bronco Info: 95 Bronco Eddie Bauer

Steering Systems - Stock, Superunner & Equal Len. Crossover

Post by 95_Bronco »

I just scored on a Newline crossover kit and a box for $300. Can't wait to put it on!
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1323135237.708210.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1323135237.708210.jpg (23.99 KiB) Viewed 1582 times
SMT Racing: Co-Dog
yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Re: Single swinger steering update

Post by yikes »

Looks good. That's an effective approach for building a pitman. Like it.
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

mesquito_creek wrote:I believe it qualifies as double sheer...
Perfect. Is the bolt shanked out?
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
mesquito_creek
Bronco Info: No Bronco 92 F150 4x... Pretty close?

Post by mesquito_creek »

I am not sure what "shanked out" means? I drilled the pitman and both spindles to 5/8 to correct some of the taper that exists on those components with tapered ball joint holes...
yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

Kris is referring to the bolt shanks extending beyond the shear points, because you don't want lateral loads on the threads. Especially in a critical steering application. Most just buy longer bolts and cut the extra 1" or so of thread off to get the desired length.
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

yikes wrote:Kris is referring to the bolt shanks extending beyond the shear points, because you don't want lateral loads on the threads. Especially in a critical steering application. Most just buy longer bolts and cut the extra 1" or so of thread off to get the desired length.
correct. Most bolt failures I see are from not shanking out the bolt or not using a torque wrench.

Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
mesquito_creek
Bronco Info: No Bronco 92 F150 4x... Pretty close?

Post by mesquito_creek »

I understand now... But i am not sure, its going to be close and i will have to double check that detail. The bolt i used was fk grade 8 with 18 threads per and the shop i bought it from called the grade8 wih fine thread and metal top lock a grade 9 equivalent? I have to pull the pitman arm to clock the steering wheel next and during that work i will check the bolt for "shank" detail.
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

mesquito_creek wrote:I understand now... But i am not sure, its going to be close and i will have to double check that detail. The bolt i used was fk grade 8 with 18 threads per and the shop i bought it from called the grade8 wih fine thread and metal top lock a grade 9 equivalent? I have to pull the pitman arm to clock the steering wheel next and during that work i will check the bolt for "shank" detail.
if you didnt cut the bolt and you dont have an assload of threads sticking out, you are probably not shanked out.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

How do you properly cut a bolt to length? Stupid question but want to see some different methods.
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

hobbyturnedobsession wrote:How do you properly cut a bolt to length? Stupid question but want to see some different methods.
I use a cold saw so as not to affect heat treat. I put a finish nut on to the length required so the head and nut can be clamped perfectly sqaure. Cut it to size, remove nut which breaks the burr on the bolt. Hit on a burr king to add a nice edge break. Hit tips with clear paint or leave raw depending on maintenance schedule.

If using fine thread and the parts being bolted will require line up...dog point the bolt heavily so you dont ruin the threads hitting it in. Fine thread bolts teach patience not learned with tractor(coarse) bolts. Strip a few out from pounding them in, in tough places and you will know what im talking about. More often a problem with torqued to spec bolts than bolts just tightened.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
BDKW1
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!

Post by BDKW1 »

yikes wrote:Most just buy longer bolts and cut the extra 1" or so of thread off to get the desired length.
Also known as the poor man's aircraft bolt..........
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

hobbyturnedobsession wrote:How do you properly cut a bolt to length? Stupid question but want to see some different methods.
I cut them with the port-a-band & hit the ends on my belt sander to debur.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

With a lathe, if you want to do a nice job.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

My port-a-band & sand does a plenty nice job & takes way less time. For me at least...

Not the greatest pics - but you get the point.

Bottom 2 = after cut - before debur.

Can't really see in the pic but this is after debur.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

yikes wrote:
With a lathe, if you want to do a nice job.
How do you hold it? Put a nut on it and hold the head and the nut in the chuck?

Do you use a parting tool, then face it, then chamfer it? Do you use coolant or plunge in with parting tool hot? I would buy aircraft hardware if I was going to take the time to do that. Sounds nice but thats the first I have heard of somebody doing it that way.

Cold saw and burr king is quick and functional.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

I just don't like wearing out my cold saw blade on heat treated steel. I think you can get the head of up to a 5/8" bolt into a 5c collet. Part it off with a carbide insert tool and just use some tapping oil on a brush to keep it wet. Then use a properly dressed carbide chamfering tool to face and chamfer. No oil necessary.
TrevorPiggott
Bronco Info: 99 F250 and a 1994 I started building but spends too much time sitting untouched...

Re: Steering Systems - Stock, Superunner & Equal Len. Crossover

Post by TrevorPiggott »

So I heard a rumor about pitman arms with on swing set steering setups that I feel is untrue. I heard that with a stock pitman arm you put the heims on the underside but with a drop pitman you put the heims on the top of the pitman arm. But I feel like I've seen most people having a stock pitman arm with one heim on top and one below. Can anyone clarify which is most common/correct to do?
Sorry if this is a weird question. I'm quite the noob.
Be nice to me, I'm learning....and slow in the head...
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

TrevorPiggott wrote:So I heard a rumor about pitman arms with on swing set steering setups that I feel is untrue. I heard that with a stock pitman arm you put the heims on the underside but with a drop pitman you put the heims on the top of the pitman arm. But I feel like I've seen most people having a stock pitman arm with one heim on top and one below. Can anyone clarify which is most common/correct to do?
Sorry if this is a weird question. I'm quite the noob.
No need for a drop pitman arm.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
ogre20012001
Bronco Info: 1989 bronco

Post by ogre20012001 »

PaulW wrote: On the TTBs they are seldom seen. In fact I bet nobody has seen such? Anybody seen a TTB with a damper?PaulW
my 93 2wd f-350 supercab dulley had a factory damper on it. (wish i still had that truck.) my dads 91 2wd f-350 crewcab dulley also had a factory damper on it. one notation to make both trucks had a 7.3l idi with 5speed.
1989 Ford Bronco 2.5" lift 33" tires Detorit True-Trac front and rear with 4.56 gears. and soon to install a mile marker 8000lbs Electric Winch!
flyinbronco
HuckMASTER

Post by flyinbronco »

mesquito_creek wrote:
shockseals.com wrote:
mesquito_creek wrote:Can anyone give me the approx lengths on each of the 3 rods required for the single swinger steering?
its not the lengths that are important, its where the bends go that are important.

gotcha on that... I have to pre-fab/purchase the material etc... becuase the truck is buried down in baja without effective steering and I am up here in the states. I will template everything out in the dirt on my back at the pick a part saturday, but having some rough measurements will help the planning/purchasing of all the stuff I have to gather up... Ideally, I would score some used pitman/swingers or find a less expensive solution to ordering up new parts from the known giants in the industry... but I have a time/money problem...

If I were you I'd make up another set of Getto fabulous extenders and bring it home so you can do the swing set set up right the first time without the pressure of working in the dirt in Baja somewhere but I'm funny like that. Good luck either way.

Autofab makes a swing set for 3" over beams by the way.http://www.autofab.com/extra_wide_mdl_44.htm
Proud member of Moss Brothers Racing Score class 3 Champions