Steering Systems - Stock, Superunner & Equal Len. Crossover

Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Re: Steering Systems - Stock, Superunner & Equal Len. Crossover

Post by Wrightracing.net »

ntsqd wrote:Doing so will slow down the steering. Can speed it up at the pitman arm, but then the added leverage goes away.

The real issue for me would be what it does for the Ackerman? OEM is not terribly great and I'm guessing that Ackerman isn't important to those who make those parts, so it probably suffers even more.
Excuse my ignorance, what is Ackerman?

I do have a Howe steering Quickener I was thinking of using on the Bronco. It might make it better. I also am doing a swingset steering setup and I am double sheering the pitman arm to run a heim joint. I have a stock pitman and a 4in drop one in my parts box, so I will see which one works best for the cut and turn front end that will be set at 4 inches of lift over stock with coilover's.

David

ntsqd
Bronco Info: '70 Early Bronco SuperCab Shortbed Pick-up "Bronc-up" aka "Frank(entruck)", '96 OJB "Blanc-Oh!"

Post by ntsqd »

Ackerman is the geometry in the steering linkage that causes the inside tire to turn more than the outside tire in a corner. Mr. Ackerman figured it out for horse drawn wagons that don't have a pivoting front axle and it still applies. When it is off one of the tires will scrub, sometimes enough to make noise when on pavement. Road racers tune it because it affects how the car "turns-in" on corner entry. It can be a help in dirt, but it's not terribly obvious or nearly as effective as when on pavement.
Cross-threaded is tighter than Lock-Tite.
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

Thanks

David