Transmission coolers

shockseals.com

Re: Transmission coolers

Post by shockseals.com »

Good info but...where in the flow of things is the factory inspection port? On its way into the tranny or on its way out to the cooler or somewhere in between?
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

shockseals.com wrote:Good info but...where in the flow of things is the factory inspection port? On its way into the tranny or on its way out to the cooler or somewhere in between?
Normally it is out of the front pump for checking line pressures. I can't remember if it is before or after the line pressure solenoid. Pressures are as follows for stock:

Park / Neutral 50-65 psi
Drive 50-65 psi
Reverse 85–110 psi
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

So then that would mean it is fluid that has returned from the cooler coming out of the pump ready to go into tranny and do work...correct?
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

shockseals.com wrote:So then that would mean it is fluid that has returned from the cooler coming out of the pump ready to go into tranny and do work...correct?
True. You get a wide range of temps depending on where you put the sender. The fluid can be 20 to 50 degrees cooler entering the transmission than leaving it.

I find I am much happier not having a gauge and only worrying when the OD light blinks.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
Silverslk
Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Baur Bronco......GONE to a better home

Post by Silverslk »

OK, After a ton of searching, this seems the best thread to post in.......

Where do you guys mount the blower trans coolers? I dont want to block the radiator and not sure it would fit there with my light setup anyway. Tried on front skid plate but bumper sits too close to body to even fit in there........anyone?
SteveG wrote:The point? It's amazing these front ends go down the road straight in any form! The TTB is brute. A broad sword and not a scalpel. That's why I love it!
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

I placed mine on the driverside behind the grille up top. I had to trim the grille a bit.
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
baja-chris

Post by baja-chris »

Bronco has two big coolers with fans. Temp sender on a bung welded into the pan. Big buck race C6. Lots of engine, lots of hard use. NEVER an issue. 190 typical. 210 really working it (WOT uphill sand wash in summer 2wd).

Got an E4OD behind a hot rodded powerstroke that also gets worked hard. Two BIG coolers, temp sender in the pan. No fans on those coolers (oversized aftermarket intercooler in the way). Runs 190-210 when moving. But hits 230 in the 2 hour long border lines in summer with heavy trailer.

I run Swepco 20wt in both trannys.
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

hobbyturnedobsession wrote:I placed mine on the driverside behind the grille up top. I had to trim the grille a bit.

Same place I put mine. B&M cooler, spal fan.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

I guess I said it before . Anyway 2 of the biggest coolers with at least one with a blower are necessary in the sand , especially in Baja where the washes have very deep soft sand and low gearing is required to keep going.
I sure dont like the discussion of using the test port for a gauge sender. Just put the thin in the out[put line or the pan. Pan is my pref.
The proof is base on the experience of many of us.
PaulW
DirtFiend602
Bronco Info: 86' go faster

Post by DirtFiend602 »

tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

shockseals.com wrote:So then that would mean it is fluid that has returned from the cooler coming out of the pump ready to go into tranny and do work...correct?

This is using the factory pressure port correct Kris?
DirtFiend602

Post by DirtFiend602 »

http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/oil-cool ... -20mm.aspx

I will be running this for my sending unit for the trans gauge, plumbed through the out line, before the radiator and trans cooler lines. Seems that is the best/ most accurate spot.
poolman
Bronco Info: 84 Bronco,Body off reconstruction. Auto Fab suspension,mix of 84-96 parts.

Post by poolman »

So where on the pan are you putting the bungs? side/top rear/? (c-6) thanks,pm
84 Bronco 351W,C-6,9 Inch,Work in process
83 Bronco 302,C-6,8.8, beater for parts
94 Bronco roller for parts
91 F150 4x4for parts
96 Bronco for parts
84 Bronco for 351W
Seattle FSB
Bronco Info: 1990 FSB MAF, 6.7L, Level10 E4OD, Currie F9, ABS Electric Brake Booster

Post by Seattle FSB »

It should go in a factory or tapped port on the side to protect the sender and wiring. See the right side of the pic below.

I have changed my sender to the E4OD Test Port to find much more accurate readings. I want to see the hot internal oil, not the cooled pan oil. I have noted a 30 degree increase in temperature gauge readings which gives me much better information. My gauge now averages 180 degrees, as opposed to 150 degrees, at normal operating temperature. Then again, I run a massive stacked plate tranny cooler.

1990 FSB, MAF, 6.7L, Level 10 E4OD, Currie F9, ABS Electric Brake Booster
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

tcm glx wrote:

This is using the factory pressure port correct Kris?
reviving an old thread. That pressure port is not a good temp location. Bung in pan is best.
Trans flow simplified - TC(hottest on not fair place for temp sensor-trans out to cooler - cooler into trans-works through clutches/shafts etc- dumps in pan then back to TC.

The B&M cooler/fan combo PW uses as well as I use has a puller fan and the instruction tell you to mount in front of radiator. Does it make sense to mount a puller fan in FRONT of the radiator? When the guy wired it he wired in reverse to make it a pusher and I never really thought about it but what does everybody think? Why would they make a puller fan that mounts on front of the radiator?

Anybody else have the B&M/Spal combo? How did you wire it? pushign or pulling?

http://bmracing.com/wp-bnmcont/uploads/70297.pdf
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Post by cs_drums »

I was under the impression that pullers were more effecient. I have a puller on my cbr and its in front of my radiator. I know that the engine fan is pulling as well but air follows the past of least resistance, right? So to have a fan that is shrouded directly for your cooler seems like it would be more effecient. Just my thouhgts.
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

cs_drums wrote:I was under the impression that pullers were more effecient. I have a puller on my cbr and its in front of my radiator. I know that the engine fan is pulling as well but air follows the past of least resistance, right? So to have a fan that is shrouded directly for your cooler seems like it would be more effecient. Just my thouhgts.
in that orientation correct...my fan is mounted first then cooler then condensor then radiator then radiator fan...fresh air is coming through grill and my fan if wired like BM says to would be pushing it back forward.

I called them and they said dont mount it in front of the radiator unless the fan can be mounted behind it, not in front of it.

I plan to find the same spal fan as a pusher.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Post by cs_drums »

Its not as simple as changing the polarity of the fan and turning your cooler around?
DirtFiend602

Post by DirtFiend602 »

No shrouds and trans and Motor run cold all day long . eBay fans on tstats two pushers one big puller. They pull less amps and more cfm than flexalite . Just dont mount the cooler like my dumbass did too
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354825794.791589.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354825794.791589.jpg (169.14 KiB) Viewed 4769 times
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

poolman wrote:So where on the pan are you putting the bungs? side/top rear/? (c-6) thanks,pm
=======
When the pan is removed you will get a pretty good idea where to put the bung so as not to be to close to stuff inside. My E4OD choice was drivers side 2/3 from the front. Plenty of room thereabouts.
C6 guys have to answer your question
PW