Transmission coolers

RyanDS650X
Bronco Info: Autofab '96 XLT 5.8

Transmission coolers

Post by RyanDS650X »

Im in the market for an auxilary trans cooler and so far ive found the b&m with fan to be a pretty nice option.
http://www.amazon.com/70297-Hi-Tek-Cool ... JMH80H3QKL

What are you guys using?
Are you running the stock cooler in series with an aftermarket one or plugging the stocker and using the aux cooler only?
Are you using barbed fittings or AN with braided lines?
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Re: Transmission coolers

Post by PaulW »

I have the stock trailer pkg cooler in series with the biggest B&M blower unit that will fit. The tranny fluid pressure is low enough to use pushon hose. My install with cheepy hose clamps has been there since day one with no issues. I you drive where its warm all the time you can bypass the rad cooler like I do. I suggest a good t gauge, and an over-ride switch if you go with a blower unit.
My install uses no barbs. You can either bead the ends of the metal tubes or lightly scratch them with a die, then use 2 EFI clamps instead of the cheap worm gear ones. Get hose good for 300F.
Paul
============

quote="RyanDS650X"]Im in the market for an auxilary trans cooler and so far ive found the b&m with fan to be a pretty nice option.
http://www.amazon.com/70297-Hi-Tek-Cool ... JMH80H3QKL

What are you guys using?
Are you running the stock cooler in series with an aftermarket one or plugging the stocker and using the aux cooler only?
Are you using barbed fittings or AN with braided lines?[/quote]
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

The biggest single upgrade for an E4OD is larger cooling lines to increase flow. I added a external Wix fluid power filter on mine which increases capacity buy 1-2 quarts.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
RyanDS650X

Post by RyanDS650X »

Philo, did you put the filter after the cooler and before the trans input, in the return line? That woul dmake sense to me... Cool clean fluid back to the trans. I remember seeing a filter write up on gfb.

Any other cooler/fan combos anyone likes or is B&M the ticket?
'96 XLT 5.8l lil edelbrock, lil Autofab, LOTTA fun.

"I wouldnt even call adding beer as part of a prep...its like putting tires on the vehicle, you just do it."
-shockseals.com
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

RyanDS650X wrote:Philo, did you put the filter after the cooler and before the trans input, in the return line? That woul dmake sense to me... Cool clean fluid back to the trans. I remember seeing a filter write up on gfb.

Any other cooler/fan combos anyone likes or is B&M the ticket?
Before the coolers so if my trans blew it wouldn't require replacement of the coolers and radiator. It also keeps stuff from blocking the coolers.
Seattle FSB
Bronco Info: 1990 FSB MAF, 6.7L, Level10 E4OD, Currie F9, ABS Electric Brake Booster

Post by Seattle FSB »

philofab wrote:The biggest single upgrade for an E4OD is larger cooling lines to increase flow. I added a external Wix fluid power filter on mine which increases capacity buy 1-2 quarts.
philofab wrote:Before the coolers so if my trans blew it wouldn't require replacement of the coolers and radiator. It also keeps stuff from blocking the coolers.
I'm with you, Philo.

I run my filter before the B&M cooler and use the radiator cooler to warm up the fluid, as I live in the cool Pacific Northwest. If I was in warm Southern California, I would bypass the radiator.

Level 10 PTS Bullet Proof E4OD

Mag-Hytec Trans Pan (16 + 7.5 qts)

B&M 29,200 BTU Transmission Oil CoolerImage

Perma-Cool Trans Filter w/flexible steel AN braided lines

Pillar Pod Trans Temperature Gauge
Last edited by Seattle FSB on Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1990 FSB, MAF, 6.7L, Level 10 E4OD, Currie F9, ABS Electric Brake Booster
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

FYI, that filter you have (51515) is meant for oil rather than hydraulic fluid/ATF. Wix Fluidpower filer # 51622 is what you want.

I would plumb through the radiator in any climate I'm in to keep the temps at a set range. To cool of a trans can cause issues just as bad as an overheated one. Wild temp swings are bad too.

FYI, my E4OD has 190K miles on it with heavy towing, big block power, and 37" tires... so my way works. It finally is starting to slip now.
Seattle FSB
Bronco Info: 1990 FSB MAF, 6.7L, Level10 E4OD, Currie F9, ABS Electric Brake Booster

Post by Seattle FSB »

philofab wrote:FYI, that filter you have (51515) is meant for oil rather than hydraulic fluid/ATF. Wix Fluidpower filer # 51622 is what you want.
Thanks, I've been informed of my incorrect filter selection. At least it is not a Fram... :oops:
RyanDS650X

Post by RyanDS650X »

Sounds good, my list of parts to order just keeps getting longer..... I guess i had better get used to it though. Thanks for the help fellas.
'96 XLT 5.8l lil edelbrock, lil Autofab, LOTTA fun.

"I wouldnt even call adding beer as part of a prep...its like putting tires on the vehicle, you just do it."
-shockseals.com
monkei
Bronco Info: 92' 6" lift -> hoping to convert to Bspeed-ish suspension

Post by monkei »

How much was that e40d, Seattle?
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

I checked out their website. They say it. Thats a nice trans Seattle.
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
Seattle FSB

Post by Seattle FSB »

$4800.00 delivered, hence all the protective upgrades including a BIG trans cooler.

After being compelled to install a B&M ShiftPlus Electronic Shift Improver Kit to increase line pressure, I resigned to the fact that my stock E4OD would rapidly fail behind the new 408 Stroker similar to the rapid destruction of my 8.8 Pinion Gear. To be pro-active, I ordered this custom built Level 10 PTS Performance Transmission w/custom Torque Converter.

The E4OD was custom built from scratch, computer graphed and designed specifically for my engine specs and dyno tune. It has high-energy performance clutches & bands, modified high output Pump, modified shift Solenoid and custom valve body modifications.

The Level 10 PTS Billet Torque Converter was also custom for my application with a custom pump, stator and turbine. It will have billet internals combined with an anti-balloon plate and a high-performance lock-up clutch. Level 10 owner Pat Barrett recommended that my stall be tighten up a bit over stock due to the low RPM torque of my engine.

The new custom E4OD will be installed alongside the existing Mag-Hytec Transmission Pan (16 + 7.5 quarts), B&M Racing 29,200 BTU Transmission Oil Cooler, Perma-Cool Remote Transmission Oil Filter Mount, Transmission Temperature Gauge and will run exclusively with Amsoil Synthetic ATF.

Not everyone would require such a transmission, but anyone putting out 500+ ft-lbs TQ will at some point need to address their drivetrain strength.
kahuna bill
Bronco Info: auto fab lift, 90 body on 91 frame, e40d, performer heads,jba headers, K&N intake

Post by kahuna bill »

what size fittings are you guys using to thread your cooling lines into your e4od? i pulled the check valve fitting out of the return and found that it's 5/8 diameter at 18 tpi, male. but i can't find any NPT to AN fitting that will work for that size and thread count. am i missing something?
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

Fittings:
Look under hydraulic and/or pneumatic. Found some pretty trick ones on this site
http://www.eztruckaccessories.com
Paul
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

I just picked up this trans cooler out of an 05 Ford 5.4L powered motorhome. It measures 13.5" x 7.5"x1.5" and has .5" barbs. Aside from having to adapt down to smaller lines, it should work great.
Attachments
TransCooler.jpg
TransCooler.jpg (94.86 KiB) Viewed 5743 times
Sho nuff,
SteveG
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

SteveG wrote:I just picked up this trans cooler out of an 05 Ford 5.4L powered motorhome. It measures 13.5" x 7.5"x1.5" and has .5" barbs. Aside from having to adapt down to smaller lines, it should work great.
Nice catch Steve, going to hit the JY up and look for one of those. I hear the F250 and F350s have larger ones as well.
kahuna bill
Bronco Info: auto fab lift, 90 body on 91 frame, e40d, performer heads,jba headers, K&N intake

Post by kahuna bill »

awesome. thanks paul.
just curious but what's the highest temp you guys have seen from ur trans? i took a reading from the pan with an infrared gun and got 260 after pulling a tow rig and his toys out of the sand at pismo. scared me a bit but temp was back down to 180 after 10 min of idle. no sign since of slippage.
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

I will repeat . With full synthetic ATF the temp redline is 250F With adequate coolers 200-225 is pretty high. Sweet spot is 180 -190F.
Temp redline with full syn at 250F is not the oil, but is the seals.
If one has dual coolers and exceed these temps a redo is advised and go to blower coolers.
We all learn the $hard$ way. Take my advice.
Paul
PS, Of course bigger coolers always are best use biggest that fits. Lots of us have 2 big ones and they are blower units. I have one blower and one not a blower, big No temp issues.
PW
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

I have my sender in the factory test port which is slightly above the pan.

Is the galley its taking its reading from taking oil to the pan or from the pan?
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

shockseals.com wrote:I have my sender in the factory test port which is slightly above the pan.

Is the galley its taking its reading from taking oil to the pan or from the pan?
==========
Contraversial meaning opinions differ. You get to choose. The test port is not the first chioce most of the time just an easy place to put the thing.
* The tranny pump sucks from the pan. So that temp is what the tranny sees.
* The outlet of the tranny heasding for the coolers will tell you what the tranny has been exposed to. This place will be the highest you will ever see.
* If you buy a cook book cooler form a tranny place most likely it will have a port on the inlet to the cooler.
* if you want a sender to control the blower cooler or a red light then where do you want to put those ports? Most likely and easiest is ports on the pan.
Paul