Stroker motor talk!-Threads merged

RyanDS650X
Bronco Info: Autofab '96 XLT 5.8

Re: Stroker motor talk!-Threads merged

Post by RyanDS650X »

To the guys with strokers, whar rearends are you running? Any driveline failures with all the new power?
funinthesun95
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco MAF UsShift

Post by funinthesun95 »

I have not ran it yet...... But At this point I am 9 inch 35 spline. I will also have new drive lines I still need to have made....I will let you know what the pro's suggest.
motoxscott
Bronco Info: 408 Prerunner

Post by motoxscott »

RyanDS650X wrote:To the guys with strokers, whar rearends are you running? Any driveline failures with all the new power?
Im running 39" tires and 300M axles that taper from 35 spline for the inner and 40 spline at the outer .... no issues yet. Haven't ever fired up the 408w though lol

- Scott
RyanDS650X

Post by RyanDS650X »

OK, so what are you guys doing for fuel and spark?

What fuel pumps are you using?
Does stock keep up if you have an adjustable regulator?

Stock distributor and coil with good plug wires or full kill MSD stuff?
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Post by cs_drums »

I'm curious on pumps as well. I will be super charging my 5.8 soon. From what I have researched 255lph is the go to for most. I think in gonna opt for one through TRE performance.
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

Some fuel system notes for your to absorb.
Go to the Mustang forums and read about high horsepower fuel systems. Plenty recommendations. The one we use is good for more power than you will have? When Chris (not the racer) went from 5.8 to 414 he did not change the pumps. He did change the regulator. Read the specs for the Walbro GSS 307 (255LPH) which seems to be popular. You need to know what your pressure will be. See the link below. We used 2 switchable ones in the Broncos. Mine is just like old Yaller that Chris built. Pay attention to the in tank collector. Lots of choices are out there.
Go to Power Nation the TV show web site and look at what is used now days. It is a package with collector and provision for the Wolbros. You will always need the Ford rheostat in place of the Chevy one. I have never found a setup for a ford tank so far. My modified chevy unit just has the rheostat and float from a Rock Auto. Just un-bolt the Chevy unit and bolt up the Ford and adjust the float. Dual pump setup is more complicated ask If you go that way.
What is your plan for a tank. Stock has plenty of drawbacks. Get one with a Chevy interface and save you lots of headaches.
Anyway expect to do some DIY engineering and modifications. Fat wallet sure helps.
Links for getting up to speed
http://www.autoperformanceengineering.com/
and new trick fuel pickup http://www.autoperformanceengineering.c ... ckups.html Maybe will work in place of a traditional collector?
RyanDS650X

Post by RyanDS650X »

cs_drums wrote:I'm curious on pumps as well. I will be super charging my 5.8 soon. From what I have researched 255lph is the go to for most. I think in gonna opt for one through TRE performance.
255 seems to be the magic number. What else do you plan to upgrade when the blower goes on?
cs_drums

Post by cs_drums »

I'm keeping it very simple. The Paxton originally called for nothing more than the addition of a 10:1 fuel management unit(FMU). The FMU goes inline after your pressure regulator to the return line and has a vacuum line off the manifold. It raises fuel pressure with boost pressure.

This set up is good for 60-80 hp on the stock motor @ 5-6psi. It is very simple.

I'm adding the 255lph and a timing retard controller as well. Even though the Paxton kit didn't call for them the later vortech kits did. It will ensure plenty of fuel and the ability to dial out detonation I may run into with different fuel quality.

It's not as ideal as a custom tune but it is smog legal and I should be near 300hp/400tq with a otherwise stock motor. If I do loose the motor it's cheap to rebuild and the owner of Paxton is 10min away from my house. $700 for a complete rebuild/upgrade on the lower unit. He checked it out and said it still has life in it as it sits now.
LvSteve
Bronco Info: 1995 XLT Sport. 96 427w e4od obd II system........ SOLD IT

Post by LvSteve »

What injector size comes with the kit ? 42lb
cs_drums

Post by cs_drums »

Stock injectors
LvSteve
Bronco Info: 1995 XLT Sport. 96 427w e4od obd II system........ SOLD IT

Post by LvSteve »

I think i would be looking into that, Stock gen 1 lightnings came with 24lb
cs_drums

Post by cs_drums »

With the 10:1 FMU the stock injectors should flow comparable to 32lb injectors as long as the pump can keep up.
RyanDS650X

Post by RyanDS650X »

If anyone knows of a bare block of short block F4TE let me know. Also looking for a timing cover and balancer that has the crank positon "star" on the back of it.
Kartman
Bronco Info: 88 with big shocks and stuff.

Post by Kartman »

35 spline 9 inch with spool with my 395. Will let you know how it works out after the 1000
Facebook, - Instagram - Twitter
DurkaDurkaPhoto
RyanDS650X

Post by RyanDS650X »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COsl5u5LfaA

Stroker shootout. 400ft lbs at 2500 rpm out of the ford 408!
'96 XLT 5.8l lil edelbrock, lil Autofab, LOTTA fun.

"I wouldnt even call adding beer as part of a prep...its like putting tires on the vehicle, you just do it."
-shockseals.com
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

digging up an old one to add my experience and details.
Steve at power train dynamics spec'd my build and we just finished up the dyno tuning today. Steve specd the motor, Greg Hall built the motor, Dougans balanced it, steve tuned it.

363ft-lbs to the wheels was the results, E4OD with all big internals, 4.56 gears, 35" tires

AFR 165 Heads, 264-8 comp cam, 30lb injectors, 408 rotating assembly, aeromotive regulator, 255lph pump, stock 5.8 intake, stock 5.8 TB, stock maf, 80 series land cruiser air filter assembly, JBA headers, bassani customized y pipe, biggest magnaflow round muff I could find, sct tuner with 5 position switch steve tuned 2 of the 5 for this build specifically, the other 3 just revert to stock PCM control.

with that said...its a stump puller to 4500rpms, roast the tires off from a start, etc...as I figured, the stock intake is plenty good for a torque monster that doesnt need to go past 4500 RPM's. We use these things in the 2-3k range....the stock intake set up flows plenty good for torque which is what you want. I like stock parts, I like everything to work like stock so thats why I left all the upper intake stock. The air filter from the land cruiser I knew was my limit and it proved it on the dyno.

The air filter assembly was giving the mass air a false sense of volume/flow so when stabbed WOT it was fat for a short period and that table was tweaked accordingly...with a different air filter exit(elbow)/MAF inlet we could do better BUT it is bitchen as is and changing that would require another tune/dyno session and some fabrication and I am very happy with results so no need to bother.

Going to an edelbrock lower, performer upper, single TB from an explorer or similar, different MAF, refabricating my cross tube in the cage, digging up all the OEM cables and CC shit could have added some action from 4500-5500 but I dont drive there so it would have been a lot of work for not much more satisfaction to ME and as always YMMV.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

Took the fresh 408 to smog check today. Passed all things measured at less ppm than “ave” on everything. Pretty damn good for the power it puts out and no illegal smog check required.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
cs_drums

Post by cs_drums »

What comp ratio is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

cs_drums wrote:What comp ratio is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
9.8:1
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

It would have been lower if I had decided stroker before buying heads but after I aquired all the parts I decided stroker and the heads were not returnable.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com