Stroker motor talk!-Threads merged

Agui-E7TE
Bronco Info: 89 Bronco w/ 6 in. skyjacker kit w/ dual Bilstein 5150 shocks up front and Deaver F53's in the rear

Re: stock stroker... possible?

Post by Agui-E7TE »

Rmc wrote:I think most smog guys wouldn't recognise a maf & computer swap, I think they eyeball obvious things (shiny parts). When I said logistically I was referring to a by the book conversion including special construction and chp inspection and vin reregistration stuff. Also when we talk mustangs we need to be clear on what 351 were comparing to a 5.0. The 351m ( or 351 modified) platform has the least amount of aftermarket goodies, a 351w ( Windsor family) is what were talking about here, the 351w non stroked can have the pistons swapped for non dish. I still say 331 stroker max on 5.0 and 351w as a starting platform for all things larger. Ill call a few engine builder buddies n get there 2 cents.
Those dudes will spot those differences, they can get into a lot of trouble otherwise so they don't really overlook stuff on modified vehicles.. like prerunner Broncos.

I was only talking about the Windsors and the 5.0 HO Mustang Engine. You can still pick up a stock Mustang HO engine and swap it into your 5.0 truck. The 351M is a whole other can of worms. Swapping out pistons on a 351 to flat tops will make it better but it still wont pass inspection in a 5.0 truck. the width of the block and intake manifold are a dead giveaway.
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

Anyone forgetting an important detail? Strokers are awesome but the huge question is where do you want torque? Btw Gunits is carb'd if i remember correctly. So its not what youd call smog legal.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Rmc wrote:Here's my big plan for the same result.. 351w, modify my world 200 heads for the larger head studs of the 351w, the cam, harmonic balancer, msd billet distributor, flywheel, short block, and pushrods needs to be sold, the rockers, headers, msd box,are the same, at that point I'm still looking at the same intake, plenum, tb, injectors, price. Plus ill need a 351 cam, a stock computer, machine work, stroker kit, retrofit Hall effect sensor to modify stock distributor( petronix)

So less $ on distributor, displacement gain ect. U don't have to stroke it to get to the same point is all I'm saying.

All this can be done for about 11 to 2000$ ( non stroker) and with a local shop to machine the block and u to assemble it, your in a stroker for around 1000 to 2000 more. The biggest issue all us california peeps face is Mary Nichols n her gustapo carb possy.
Seeing this add reminded me of your post above...
http://www.race-dezert.com/classifieds/ ... s&id=45842

And Gunit lives in AZ I believe, so no CA smog BS for him
Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Post by Rmc »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:
Rmc wrote:Here's my big plan for the same result.. 351w, modify my world 200 heads for the larger head studs of the 351w, the cam, harmonic balancer, msd billet distributor, flywheel, short block, and pushrods needs to be sold, the rockers, headers, msd box,are the same, at that point I'm still looking at the same intake, plenum, tb, injectors, price. Plus ill need a 351 cam, a stock computer, machine work, stroker kit, retrofit Hall effect sensor to modify stock distributor( petronix)

So less $ on distributor, displacement gain ect. U don't have to stroke it to get to the same point is all I'm saying.

All this can be done for about 11 to 2000$ ( non stroker) and with a local shop to machine the block and u to assemble it, your in a stroker for around 1000 to 2000 more. The biggest issue all us california peeps face is Mary Nichols n her gustapo carb possy.
Seeing this add reminded me of your post above...
http://www.race-dezert.com/classifieds/ ... s&id=45842

So cheap! Thx bro, good looking out.
And Gunit lives in AZ I believe, so no CA smog BS for him
Agui-E7TE
Bronco Info: 89 Bronco w/ 6 in. skyjacker kit w/ dual Bilstein 5150 shocks up front and Deaver F53's in the rear

Post by Agui-E7TE »

[quote="And Gunit lives in AZ I believe, so no CA smog BS for him[/quote]

Gotta love Arizona.. they know how to party. Gunit's Bronco is a Bricknose so the odds are it might have come with a carb from the factory. There's plenty of 302 based strokers as well as Windsor based strokers running EFI at many dragstrips and they work really well. My Mustang has a super aggressive cam (everyone loves it.. even motorcycle cops) and it's stock ECU works just fine with my setup. Windsor based (351) engines are a bit more money though but if you're going to build something that needs to go fast in the dirt and you live in a smog state, either register in a no smog zone or swap in an LS from a newer truck and get it certified to be smog legal.
Agui-E7TE

Post by Agui-E7TE »

hobbyturnedobsession wrote:Anyone forgetting an important detail? Strokers are awesome but the huge question is where do you want torque? Btw Gunits is carb'd if i remember correctly. So its not what youd call smog legal.
Strokers increase both torque and horsepower but the torque is significantly higher. Torque figures will be much better than stock.. it doesn't just move the torque curve up higher in the rpm range.
wayfastwhitie
Bronco Info: 1989 4in lift billie 5100

Post by wayfastwhitie »

Stokers aren't what they used to be, they used to be low rpm, noisy oil burners. Now there turning 8k rpms amd making mad power.
RyanDS650X
Bronco Info: Autofab '96 XLT 5.8

Re: Stroker motor talk!-Threads merged

Post by RyanDS650X »

This was a pretty cool read and complete with part numbers and manufacturer contact info. Hmmm a 408 sounds pretty cool!
http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/0912o ... actory-10/
robertcrav
Let me google that for you
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies

Post by robertcrav »

Brand new Ford Racing 460ci small block

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/pa ... ield=23197
Seabass
Bronco Info: 96 bronco

Post by Seabass »

SHAWING!
big-d
Bronco Info: 1987 F150, 351W/418 Stroker, E4OD, F250 1356 W/fixed yokes, Sterling 10.25, D50 TTB 4" over

Post by big-d »

I think it is pretty funny how a built 331 or whatever size 302 base stroker is being compared to a stock 351w to try to make a point. How do they compare dollar for dollar? Serious question.
damon1272

Post by damon1272 »

The only way they compare say a 348 vs a 351 is weight as the 302 weights a 100 lbs less. Throw in some aluminum heads and you can drop another 50 lbs. Of course when you start talking heads and such then you are not comparing apples to apples. As far as a Bronco is concerned I think due to weight of the vehicle you are better off punching out a 351 over a 302.
Seabass
Bronco Info: 96 bronco

Post by Seabass »

What injectors and tuning processes have you guys used? I have a 408w in the works with smaller heads, edelbrock truck manifold and a custom ground cam for low end grunt. Meaning it wont be spinning over 5500 often. Is there another factory injector that'll flow enough for 408 cubes?
RyanDS650X

Post by RyanDS650X »

From my research 24lb injectors would do the trick.
RyanDS650X

Post by RyanDS650X »

As for the tune ive been talking with a shop here in AZ that does mostly mustang dyno tunes and uses a wide band. Mine will be going on the dyno soon.
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

460 injectors have been used before with an adjustible fpr.
robertcrav
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies

Post by robertcrav »

why not just go big block...?

like a 460 from a f250 or ....

:mrgreen: :lol:

RyanDS650X

Post by RyanDS650X »

In my case ive already got all the topend goodies, just need a tune and im good. Id only consider a stroker if the bottom end lets go.
robertcrav

Post by robertcrav »

Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords 408ci build...

baja-chris

Post by baja-chris »

damon1272 wrote:The only way they compare say a 348 vs a 351 is weight as the 302 weights a 100 lbs less. Throw in some aluminum heads and you can drop another 50 lbs. Of course when you start talking heads and such then you are not comparing apples to apples. As far as a Bronco is concerned I think due to weight of the vehicle you are better off punching out a 351 over a 302.
Why is a 351 100 lbs heavier than a 302? What's the difference besides a taller deck? That extra inch of deck height can't weigh 100 lbs. Same heads, same intake, same everything else, right? Sounds like you are comparing a car 302 with aluminum top end to a truck 351 with iron top end.