Dana 44 crush sleeve

cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Dana 44 crush sleeve

Post by cs_drums »

Has anyone ever made a crush sleeve for there front hubs. I figure it wouldn't be that much work and it should make prep easier as well as maintain better bearing longer. Has anyone done this yet? Any thoughts?
D1cker1
Bronco Info: 93 EB Bronco 12"Over 40" BFG projects 5.13 gears in a 8.8... 1 seat and stripped Interior

Dana 44 crush sleeve

Post by D1cker1 »

Sounds like a good idea..

I was thinking about this the other day, when considering adding spindles along with steering.
Possibly necessary if you are using the auto locking hubs.
Integrity, Money, Relevance
1amD1cker1@gmail.com
Deleted Account
Bronco Info: depends on what day

Re: Dana 44 crush sleeve

Post by Deleted Account »

how about a non crush sleeve.. a solid spacer wound be great
cs_drums

Post by cs_drums »

mkiefer wrote:how about a non crush sleeve.. a solid spacer wound be great
That what I was referring to. This arguement has raged on in other forums on what the proper term is.

A solid spacer between the bearing so you can tighten down the spindle nut and not effect bearing preload. Has anyone done it yet? Is anybody else interested. If some one has the spec it would need to be I will talk to a couple buddies about getting some made.
Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.

Post by 300 »

To do it correctly, each one has to be machined to the specific hub and bearing combination. Just about need to have a lathe sitting next to you when you make it. It may not work out to make a universal one-fits-all sleeve, but once you do, you just torque it down and go.

I have had good luck with the pricey Stage 8 locks on the D44, but it eliminates the use of the large diameter spring that some hubs require. The only time I have found one loose was when the spindle itself was about to let go.
kylesgorter
Bronco Info: 92 Fullsize EB. 357w, midtravel front, custome rear packs, bilstein shocks, fox air bumps

Post by kylesgorter »

Maybe I'm missing something? Why is this needed. I have never had any issues with service on any of my broncos and I always have a spindle nut socket. Just wondering because I don't see much of a point to doing it
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

kylesgorter wrote:Maybe I'm missing something? Why is this needed. I have never had any issues with service on any of my broncos and I always have a spindle nut socket. Just wondering because I don't see much of a point to doing it
Parts/assemblies have tolerances not everyone is the same. that spacer has to be nats ass on or it is useless. In my cone hubs the bearing spacer is serialized to the hub. If I change races/bearings...I have to machine a new spacer t whatever the new dimension is.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
cs_drums

Post by cs_drums »

I didn't realize they differed from bearing to bearing race to race
damon1272

Post by damon1272 »

Rather than a crush sleeve or a soil spacer I would recommend torquing the bearing. By torquing the bearings they will be set up the same but any differences will be accounted for by going with equal torque rather than a set spacing.
BDKW1
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!

Post by BDKW1 »

A properly done spacer will increase the effective diameter of the spindle along with helping to keep the whole assembly tight. Yes I have made them before and yes, each one has to be fitted to each hub. With the 88-89 spindles it's very easy to do. With the other models with different size bearings, it takes a lot more lathe work and the material price is 4X as much.
cs_drums

Post by cs_drums »

BDKW1 wrote:A properly done spacer will increase the effective diameter of the spindle along with helping to keep the whole assembly tight. Yes I have made them before and yes, each one has to be fitted to each hub. With the 88-89 spindles it's very easy to do. With the other models with different size bearings, it takes a lot more lathe work and the material price is 4X as much.
The 88-89 Is what you used to make Daves hubs on the ranger right? Did you guy make them for his? Could you send me a PM on a ball park price to do this on the 81-86 spindle?
BDKW1

Post by BDKW1 »

Yes, on Daves truck. Not sure if he has the spacers. Also on Jessies and Chads trucks. I liked the short spindles..........
cs_drums

Post by cs_drums »

THey are using the 81-86 on the current t100 build right?
BDKW1

Post by BDKW1 »

Yes.
kylesgorter
Bronco Info: 92 Fullsize EB. 357w, midtravel front, custome rear packs, bilstein shocks, fox air bumps

Post by kylesgorter »

So..... What's the point of the spacer?

Post by 300 »

kylesgorter wrote:So..... What's the point of the spacer?
The spacer sets and maintains the preload on the wheel bearings. From the factory, this is done with the locking nuts and is adjustable. When you start wheeling pretty hard, those locking nuts can't take the extra load and come loose or chew up the locking groove on the spindle. It was suggested above that the spacer acts like an extension of the spindle, essentially increasing the diameter and strength however I am still trying to wrap my head around that one. A spacer or crush sleeve is used on the pinion shaft in each and every axle gear for the same reason as well as prevent the inner bearing races from spinning on the pinion shaft.
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

I have the rachet nut that works great.
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
kylesgorter

Post by kylesgorter »

300 wrote:
kylesgorter wrote:So..... What's the point of the spacer?
The spacer sets and maintains the preload on the wheel bearings. From the factory, this is done with the locking nuts and is adjustable. When you start wheeling pretty hard, those locking nuts can't take the extra load and come loose or chew up the locking groove on the spindle. It was suggested above that the spacer acts like an extension of the spindle, essentially increasing the diameter and strength however I am still trying to wrap my head around that one. A spacer or crush sleeve is used on the pinion shaft in each and every axle gear for the same reason as well as prevent the inner bearing races from spinning on the pinion shaft.
That makes sense thanks for explaining that.
78 DESERT RAT
Bronco Info: 78 Ford Bronco

Post by 78 DESERT RAT »

As pointed out earlier use stage 8 set it and forget it.

Post by 300 »

An update on the broken spindles we had at the 2012 Baja 1000, the broken spindles were traced to imported parts that were supplied new 2/2012 prior to the San Felipe race. I don't remember how this came about, I was under the impression they were new Spicer units. Until I have purchased new Spicer units and broken them, regardless of where they might be manufactured, I can't say anything bad about them. I will certainly not advise anyone to buy the no-name imported spindles!

Where this relates to this discussion, we were using Stage 8 locking nuts and they had chewed at least 3/8" of an inch into the groove that keeps them from spinning on the spindle. Obviously soft material, but also good nuts will not cure all the problems.

We are looking at aftermarket spindles and also 3/4 ton units that use a larger inner bearing that fit the D44 knuckles for the 78-79 vintage axle.