Heim Joint Failure!!! ???

broncosbybart
Bronco Info: 74 Stroppe Racer imitation

Post by broncosbybart »

Ok, so I've broken more than a handful of 3/4" heims lately. The 'band' around the ball of the joint just gives out, usually 90 degrees from the threaded portion (shank?) of the joint.

Do you guys replace them on a regular basis? These joints are in my steering and on the track bar on the 74' EB. Broke both the upper and lower track bar joints (at separate times) at the race this past weekend. We were running in 2nd or 3rd before the first one blew up. When it did, it wasn't a result of a hard hit, just some typical bouncing around rocks. They have 1-1/2 seasons on them- about 7 races (figure 50 miles each race or 2 hours max) and 10 regular 'trail' type rides.

I've broken some steering heims (3/4)" as well. Seriously contemplating running 7/8" stuff. What are you guys doing out in the desert?
D1cker1
Bronco Info: 93 EB Bronco 12"Over 40" BFG projects 5.13 gears in a 8.8... 1 seat and stripped Interior

Post by D1cker1 »

What brand are you using? Just curious.. Maybe you should have the larger heims..
Integrity, Money, Relevance
1amD1cker1@gmail.com
Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.

Re: Heim Joint Failure!!! ???

Post by 300 »

The track bar takes some incredible abuse. We are using I believe an 1-1/4" heim for the track bar top and our own end on the bottom. They still don't last forever and while we haven't broken any, they do wear and get replaced regularly. There are a variety of qualities available, with prices that go along with the high load ratings. A high load rating still wears out the same as the others. RuffStuff Specialties has them.
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

Go bigger. 7/8 on steering and 1 1/4 on track bar if possible.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
broncosbybart

Post by broncosbybart »

Thanks for the info guys. Not sure that 1-1/4 heims will work on the track bar, but will do some research. I don't know who could make a track bar up with the bends in it either. The one I have right now could likely be threaded 7/8's.

These were the cheap Ruff Stuff heims. Perhaps the nicer ones are in order, along with a replacement schedule. I never would have suspected a track bar failure before this weekend. Live and learn!
AussieRod
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.

Post by AussieRod »

broncosbybart wrote:Ok, so I've broken more than a handful of 3/4" heims lately. The 'band' around the ball of the joint just gives out, usually 90 degrees from the threaded portion (shank?) of the joint.

Do you guys replace them on a regular basis? These joints are in my steering and on the track bar on the 74' EB. Broke both the upper and lower track bar joints (at separate times) at the race this past weekend. We were running in 2nd or 3rd before the first one blew up. When it did, it wasn't a result of a hard hit, just some typical bouncing around rocks. They have 1-1/2 seasons on them- about 7 races (figure 50 miles each race or 2 hours max) and 10 regular 'trail' type rides.

I've broken some steering heims (3/4)" as well. Seriously contemplating running 7/8" stuff. What are you guys doing out in the desert?
What size tyres are you running? I agree with 300, the track bar takes some serious punishment, we used 1" ChroMo heims on the Range Rover track bar and replaced them every 3 races regardless. 7/8" heims for the steering are a little overboard, but a good idea, just set a replacement shedule and your failures should be minimal.
Last edited by AussieRod on Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
broncosbybart

Post by broncosbybart »

The rig has 33's on it. Our races vary in abuse. This past weekend the course was brutal. It was the roughest course of the series and we ran it last. It was pretty well rutted and rock strewn from the buggies that ran before us.
AussieRod
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.

Post by AussieRod »

broncosbybart wrote:The rig has 33's on it. Our races vary in abuse. This past weekend the course was brutal. It was the roughest course of the series and we ran it last. It was pretty well rutted and rock strewn from the buggies that ran before us.
Ruts and rocks will really stress the track bar a heap, ruts especially. Use at least a 1" heim and solid bar for the track bar. Make sure the mounting points at the frame and axle housing are well reinforced too.
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

broncosbybart wrote:Ok, so I've broken more than a handful of 3/4" heims lately. The 'band' around the ball of the joint just gives out, usually 90 degrees from the threaded portion (shank?) of the joint.

a 3/4 high end alloy heim on a track bar is a change every race heim on any solid axle race rig I have worked with. The only time I have seen them break is when the car was sold and half ass prepped. from 18/19 wins to repeated DNF's and basically a pile of shit now...sad story!
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
broncosbybart

Post by broncosbybart »

Thanks for the info guys. Looks like this will be an upgrade area. The mounts on the frame and axle have been heavily modified/reinforced. I'm going to run the 3/4" heims for the moment, but the track bar will be upgraded before the next race.
only1mikey
Bronco Info: 84 Bronco

Post by only1mikey »

Run a quality 3/4" heim, not a china POS. FK JMX series heims are what I use to run on my race truck, and I never had a failure, they stay tight way longer, the liners don't spit out like those rod end suppy heims. Good product, worth the money over time.

Mike