fuel injected intake manifolds for 351w

Seabass
Bronco Info: 96 bronco

Post by Seabass »

Hey guys. I've been googling till my eyes bleed but haven't found much on improving air flow on the intake side of a 351w while keeping it smog legal or at least looking smog legal. Is the edelbrock performer my only option? At 600-700 dollars its unlikely I'll be getting one. Is anyone porting these with good results? The only consistant thing I've found on the factory manifolds is that they don't flow well. Any info is great, thanks.
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

The Lightning intake is a good upgrade. The exhaust side is way more restricted.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
BDKW1
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!

Re: fuel injected intake manifolds for 351w

Post by BDKW1 »

Lightning if you can find one, Edelbrocks MUST be port matched if you have anything besides stock heads. I think TFS makes a lower for the 5.8 that uses the same top as the 5.0. May also require port matching. Also not sure on the smog legalness of the TFS.
Deleted Account
Bronco Info: depends on what day

Post by Deleted Account »

I think the lightning would only be legal with an e4od and no mass air... the tfs maches the mustang upper right?
Seabass

Post by Seabass »

I need to at least keep the throttle body in the stock location. All the mustang stuff is way to obvious I'll have look into the lightning manifold stuff.

I've seen a couple lowers but im not sure if they are for my application or mustang swap stuff. Any one know where the restriction is I.e. upper manifold, lower manifold, everything ?
damon1272

Post by damon1272 »

cast cobra gt 40 intake could be done also. they flow a little better than the tube type gt 40 intake and they are easy and cheaper to pick up.
BDKW1
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!

Post by BDKW1 »

Seabass wrote:Any one know where the restriction is I.e. upper manifold, lower manifold, everything ?
Everywhere.

Just looked at the TFS website. Wow, they have a lot of stuff for 5.8's now, even Cleavors......... Unfortunately, none of it seems to be smog legal. Not sure the Edelbrock is still in production either.
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

BDKW1 wrote:
Seabass wrote:Any one know where the restriction is I.e. upper manifold, lower manifold, everything ?
Everywhere.

Just looked at the TFS website. Wow, they have a lot of stuff for 5.8's now, even Cleavors......... Unfortunately, none of it seems to be smog legal. Not sure the Edelbrock is still in production either.
=========
Last time I looked both Jegs and Summit had them in stock.
PW
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

damon1272 wrote:cast cobra gt 40 intake could be done also. they flow a little better than the tube type gt 40 intake and they are easy and cheaper to pick up.
For an upper right? Last time I checked 351w were only Cobra Rs, which are quite rare.
AussieRod
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.

Post by AussieRod »

If you put the 5.0 and 5.8 manifolds side by side you will see the difference in port sizes. Price Motorsport Engineering http://www.pricemotorsport.com/ makes a spacer kit to fit the higher flow 5.0 intake to the 5.8 block. AP 01 is what you need, and its cheaper than an Edelbrock. AND it keeps it smog legal :D
Seabass

Post by Seabass »

So with that adapter I'd put on a 5.0 truck manifold?

The edelbrock manifolds are available but go for 650-700 dollars...
AussieRod
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.

Post by AussieRod »

Seabass wrote:So with that adapter I'd put on a 5.0 truck manifold?
The edelbrock manifolds are available but go for 650-700 dollars...
Yep, bolts right on. The Edelbrock is better than the 5.0 intake and smog legal, as far as the website says, but the 5.0 manifold I believe is still better than the 5.8 version, but you pays your money, takes your choice :D
baja-chris

Post by baja-chris »

Of course the mustang style has the throttle body on the passenger side instead on the front like the truck style so that requires re-doing your air intake, filter, and mass air if you have one. I went this route on my play truck and built a custom air box and mounted it on the passenger side.

Much less work to just use the Edelbrock 351 EFI truck intake. I heard they stopped manufacturing them and once the supply dries up that's it.
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

baja-chris wrote:Much less work to just use the Edelbrock 351 EFI truck intake. I heard they stopped manufacturing them and once the supply dries up that's it.
I wouldn't be surprised. The hay day of the 5.0/5.8 is over. It's almost vintage!
Sho nuff,
SteveG
Phoenix0783
Bronco Info: No more Bronco :(

Post by Phoenix0783 »

baja-chris wrote:Of course the mustang style has the throttle body on the passenger side instead on the front like the truck style so that requires re-doing your air intake, filter, and mass air if you have one. I went this route on my play truck and built a custom air box and mounted it on the passenger side.
Can't you just turn the mustang style intakes around?
My car is a hybrid; it burns gas and rubber.
Seabass

Post by Seabass »

Short answer: no
Deleted Account

Seabass wrote:Short answer: no
you can indeed.. thats what a lightning intake is..
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

Gt40 intake, yes. Old style non GT40 intake (think late 80s / early 90s fox Mustang) no.

Correct me if I am wrong?
Seabass

Post by Seabass »

Egr stuff would have to be ditched and intake duct would have to be fabbed. Ive had a few cars that I had to see the right smog guy to pass and would like to avoid that with this bronco.
Deleted Account

i think the mustangs ones can be too.. but seabass is right about the smog guy.. good luck