Built rear ends: Currie, Camburg, Dirt Tech, Schreiner, etc.

BajaBronco13
Bronco Broker
Bronco Info: Bronco AKA The Silver Bullet

Built rear ends: Currie, Camburg, Dirt Tech, Schreiner, etc.

Post by BajaBronco13 »

I've been toying with the idea of buying a 9" rear end from one of the above companies for my 86 Bronco build. Does anyone have any experience with them? What's the most bag for the buck? This is one my wish list, this may change due to good new addition info by you fine people:

Standard Bronco width housing
Disc Brakes
1/2 lugs, not 5/8s as I want to be able to swap out a wheel from my of my bronco buddies if need be
31 or 35 spline
Limited slip
4:56 gears

As of right now I don't think I'll need a full floater.

Thoughts?

Chris
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Re: Built rear ends: Currie, Camburg, Dirt Tech, Schreiner, etc.

Post by SteveG »

Mitler Brothers used to be, and probably still are, priced very well. As I understand it, they used to (maybe still do?) build housings for other "builders" that simply put their own label on them... worth a look.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

Why not just stick with the 8.8 center and have currie run the .25 wall axle tubes and the 9" big bearing ends? Then have the axle assembled. May be cheaper.
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.

Post by 300 »

Include RuffStuff Specialties in your list as well. Probably a little more than you're going to need for street truck. You can put on whatever ends you want, but you won't be able to buy it complete from them. They have 3/8" tubing, look good, and the center section will give you up to 2" more clearance then a standard 9" housing. As far as budget 9" housings, I think Summit also has one now. I have used Schreiner and Speedway Engineering for 9" floater housings, and they served the purpose they were asked to. Both companies were good to work with. Only bought some 31 spline axles from Currie once, but they provided a good product.
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

I have a factory housing that has been trussed and aligned, with Currie 31 spline axles, a Detroit, and ran super heavy / high traction Toyo M/Ts. I have so far been unable to hurt anything but wheel bearings (Until I bought the good Timkens) and the factory center section.

An aftermarket housing isn't really needed until after you need bigger studs and 35 spline axles.

That being said I would buy a Ruff Stuff Housing if I did it again. My price on that housing is less an a JY rear to start with and the Giant Truss.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
bajabuck
Bronco Info: 87 Bronco with some Autofab parts held on with bailing wire and duct tape

Post by bajabuck »

I'm not thrilled with my Moser. I was told it's "the same as the Currie" . Not even close. Should have spent the extra $200. On a side note, I have been blowing through axle seals. Not sure if it's relative to the brand or not. I have a buddy with another 9" that is doing the same thing. I have a few guys trouble shooting possible origins of the problem. Could be a big ol batch of bad seals shipped in a cargo container from China. Running Timkins, don't really know where they are made... Could be a defect in the race or the surface where the seal makes contact, maybe a bent tube. Both sides have failed several times now. Have not identified the actual problem yet but replacing an axle seal after every trip is getting old. On my next Bronco I'm keeping the 8.8 till if breaks.
johncharlesb
Bronco Info: 1962 f100, 1995 Bronco

Post by johncharlesb »

bajabuck wrote:I'm not thrilled with my Moser. I was told it's "the same as the Currie" . Not even close. Should have spent the extra $200. On a side note, I have been blowing through axle seals. Not sure if it's relative to the brand or not. I have a buddy with another 9" that is doing the same thing. I have a few guys trouble shooting possible origins of the problem. Could be a big ol batch of bad seals shipped in a cargo container from China. Running Timkins, don't really know where they are made... Could be a defect in the race or the surface where the seal makes contact, maybe a bent tube. Both sides have failed several times now. Have not identified the actual problem yet but replacing an axle seal after every trip is getting old. On my next Bronco I'm keeping the 8.8 till if breaks.
Sounds like a plugged vent.
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

Bent housing, vent, or improper installation.

FYI, I have gotten both US and Chinese made Timkens... Guess which I had problems with.
78Class3

Post by 78Class3 »

I have a schriener 3rd member with detroit and 4.88. Priced right and good guys to work with, no problems with it thus far.

Sounds like you just need a stock bronco housing with a new center section and a disc brake conversion. Right width, they come with 31 spline axles and you could get the disc brake conversion for cheap as well. Probably all for under 1200. 78-79 Had a 9" with the 31 spline and I think up to 83, but someone correct me if im wrong on that one
AussieRod
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.

Post by AussieRod »

Does the78 - 79 axle fit under the 80 - 86?
ESHALLBETTER
Bronco Info: 85 class 3, 70's somthing trail bronco.

Post by ESHALLBETTER »

We used Schreiners stuff when we were doing alot of short course racing and had good luck with it. Ron was always a good guy to deal with. I think their good axles for the price.
Phoenix0783
Bronco Info: No more Bronco :(

Post by Phoenix0783 »

AusBroncodoc wrote:Does the78 - 79 axle fit under the 80 - 86?
Yes. That's what I have in mine.
My car is a hybrid; it burns gas and rubber.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

78Class3 wrote:Sounds like you just need a stock bronco housing with a new center section and a disc brake conversion. Right width, they come with 31 spline axles and you could get the disc brake conversion for cheap as well. Probably all for under 1200. 78-79 Had a 9" with the 31 spline and I think up to 83, but someone correct me if im wrong on that one
Ding ding ding - we have a winner. Unless that is you like to spend more $$ than is really needed. Oh wait - it's Chris - this very well may be the case :D

Oh and 9"s were in up to '87 trucks supposedly. I've personally seen them in and '86. It was the one I butchered!
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
AussieRod
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.

Post by AussieRod »

Phoenix0783 wrote:
AusBroncodoc wrote:Does the78 - 79 axle fit under the 80 - 86?
Yes. That's what I have in mine.
Cool, I found one locally for a good price, but I donated the money to the WW fund. Oh well, payday is next week. :lol:
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

philofab wrote:Bent housing, vent, or improper installation.

FYI, I have gotten both US and Chinese made Timkens... Guess which I had problems with.

The mexican ones!! hahaha
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

CP.... run the stock one, gear it and call it done... when she starts going, You can have Currie build the 8.8 with 9" ends, and then swap over your gears and LS.
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

If I did it all over again I would use Moser "Hobby Stock" axles. Bigger diameter between the flange and bearing and also a larger bearing. Requires their ends. A little more than the $400 aftermarket axles cost but addresses the major weak point of semi float axles.

http://www.moserengineering.com/axles/h ... les-1.html
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

I like my cone rear end. No complaints. Quality unit.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
Agui-E7TE
Bronco Info: 89 Bronco w/ 6 in. skyjacker kit w/ dual Bilstein 5150 shocks up front and Deaver F53's in the rear

Post by Agui-E7TE »

I think Currie has a Fabricated 9 inch bare housing that goes for $600.....That's what I would go with....well if I wasn't a cheap bastard looking for a junkyard 9 inch. ;)
Seattle FSB
Bronco Info: 1990 FSB MAF, 6.7L, Level10 E4OD, Currie F9, ABS Electric Brake Booster

Post by Seattle FSB »

Agui-E7TE wrote:I think Currie has a Fabricated 9 inch bare housing that goes for $600.....That's what I would go with....well if I wasn't a cheap bastard looking for a junkyard 9 inch. ;)
Like this?

1990 FSB, MAF, 6.7L, Level 10 E4OD, Currie F9, ABS Electric Brake Booster